Stallion/Gelding questions related to the procedure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't wish to join AMHA right now, that should be fine, just be sure to hang on to his paperwork in case you change your mind, it'll pretty much just cost you a late fee to wait. [Keep the gelding certificate information too, so that can be updated.]

Sounds like you have a gem of a boy!

I own two boys - a 32" stud that's 9 and been bred a bit and a 41" gelding that's 3 and has been gelded awhile. Which one do you think tries to eat literally eat kids? The gelding. No, it's not his hormones, no he doesn't have ulcers or pain, he's just a jerk face. A 3 yr old can boss around the stud (in an enclosed area supervised of course!) and they both think it's fun but the kids aren't even safe in the pen supervised w the gelding. He's fine with me (however we've had a bunch of 'come to Jesus meetings' about his behavior and he has discovered I am in fact dominant), but anyone he can bully he does so. Why he was free I'm pretty sure.....

Not all stallions are monsters. I swear they read body language better. I swear they're smarter too. I'm Sure he's picked up he needs to be extra careful with your daughter by the sounds of things. By having him gelded you are getting the best of both worlds!

What rabbitsfizz was saying was (and this is what we do for aftercare for geldings too) for aftercare we don't leave him in a stall in walk him by hand. We leave in the stall over night the day of the procedure but after that its back to normal turn out (by himself so he doesnt get carried away playing or something) so he can exercise himself its just better for him. Now I'm not saying what you did was wrong some vets recommend that but most recommend what I just explained. I don't know how young your daughter is but you said she was very light and special needs. I would also not let a small child lead my stallion. We have another stallion who I would let a child lead but no where around mares. I know you wouldnt put your daughter in danger just be careful is all I'm sayin! I'm glad you have the filly as a friend for your mare until your boy can be put in with them. But a 4 month old is very young and a whole different ball game than your other two. You need to teach her everything besides halter breaking because like you said shes already halter broke. Im completely confused about how you got a horse gelded for 22 dollars! lol. The lowest I've found in PA is what my vet charges which is $150 besides amish people who just do hack jobs and dont even knock the horses out which is disgusting. But sheesh $22 thats crazy

Wow. 22.00. My vet told me to bring my two guys in after the first frost so the flies want be so bad and my little mare is already pregnant. It is going to cost me $175.00 a piece! I don't know if that includes pain meds. If not it is going to cost me more. Both my little stallions are very sweet and good with kids. The littlest one is getting a bit spoiled. He is low man on the totem pole so we give him a little more attention. I am new to owning horses too. I am still learning and have a ways to go. This will be the first time I have ever been nervous about a new birth. I can't wait to see their new attitudes when I get them gelded. I hope it makes my one guy sweeter to the other one,and maybe the little mare want be so bossy either. She loves on him but will run him away sometimes. We will see soon.

Prices really vary from region to region and even from town to town. I had two gelded this spring. One vet I've used quoted me nearly $200 to geld plus trip expenses if I had her out to the farm. Another quoted me $110 to geld plus trip expenses to have it done on the farm. The one I used: initially quoted me $90 to geld, I asked her if it mattered that they were minis, and then she told me she could do it for $65 or $70 since most of the cost was the drugs and they wouldn't need as much drugs; also plus trip expenses. I did have the procedures done at the farm, but also euthanized one, so on farm was easier for us. Also, vaccinated 5 and did a basic health exam on my Cushing's gelding. I'd have to look it up, but I know it was under $400 for 2 gelding procedures, 1 euthanasia, 5 vaccinations, 1 exam, and the trip charges (which around here can be more than the actual procedure). [i had set-aside $500 for the day, but initially it was going to be 3 gelding procedures, but one lucky boy was sold just in time and they wanted him intact.]

Prices really vary from region to region and even from town to town. I had two gelded this spring. One vet I've used quoted me nearly $200 to geld plus trip expenses if I had her out to the farm. Another quoted me $110 to geld plus trip expenses to have it done on the farm. The one I used: initially quoted me $90 to geld, I asked her if it mattered that they were minis, and then she told me she could do it for $65 or $70 since most of the cost was the drugs and they wouldn't need as much drugs; also plus trip expenses. I did have the procedures done at the farm, but also euthanized one, so on farm was easier for us. Also, vaccinated 5 and did a basic health exam on my Cushing's gelding. I'd have to look it up, but I know it was under $400 for 2 gelding procedures, 1 euthanasia, 5 vaccinations, 1 exam, and the trip charges (which around here can be more than the actual procedure). [i had set-aside $500 for the day, but initially it was going to be 3 gelding procedures, but one lucky boy was sold just in time and they wanted him intact.]
I think it's interesting that the quote was lower for miniatures because of the cost of drugs. I'm finding that drug costs are going up for people AND animals.

I usually leave my newly gelded boys in the corral the first night, then turn them out by themselves the next day. No "horseplay" with another horse allowed for a few days.

btw, it is interesting that various parts of the country call their enclosures by different names. I was brought up in SD, cow country, and any enclosure for animals is a "corral". Larger areas are called "lots". Anything bigger is a pasture.

Latest posts

Back