Pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi and welcome to you and your girls! It is pretty quiet on this forum around this time of year but be patient and you will help and advice from those of us who keep checking in - we do have expectant mares with our friends in Australia and do get regular updates from them (HINT HINT BREE!!!!).

Regarding your girls, please could we have more pictures - get down on your knees (!) and post us good 'side on' pictures so we can see their tummies properly, then some from behind them to see the width of their tummies and how low the possible babies are lying, then pics of any udder development. So in all quite a few pics are required! Also some details of each mare - age/maiden or not etc (if known). Oh and we would love a picture of your stallion too please.
default_yes.gif

Absolutely. Can't wait to see your pictures, so we can get a good look at the 'maybe' momma and the daddy. The pictures will help us see what she looks like from a variety of sides, etc.

Also, how tall is she? As much information as you can provide will help us make an educated guess for you.

I, too, have had mares that were said to be open, foal nice, healthy babies -- so don't give up! LOL

Hello and welcome to the group! Your in the right place for having all your worries taken care of. I'll let the other girls comment on your potential pregnancies but I will say you're little man is gorgeous!

I agree Hayley, he's stunning - love that looooooooooooooooooooong mane!!

In my opinion your maiden mare (does she have a name please?) is pregnant but not due yet. Keep an eye out for her to make a start in the udder development as this may give you some idea when she's due. Your little rescue mare (again name please) is more of a puzzle - nice little girl though. As she has already had several foals she naturally has a 'stretched' tummy, so it is possible that she is not in foal - which would probably be a good thing, although I must admit that she looks very well now (well done you). What we now need is to see another set of similar pics in around 4 or 5 days time, so we can see any differences/changes in their shape.

Please join in with the other posts here and feel free to give your opinion/advice and also to ask ANY questions, no matter if you think they are silly - we are like a big friendly family on this forum and really enjoy our long chats while waiting and watching for these precious minis to produce their babies.
default_yes.gif

Yes Sue, a lot of mares kick at their tummies and have big rolling sessions usually nearer the end of their pregnancies, so they are signs to watch ot for.

Dont forget to post more pics in another day or two!

What a gorgeous boy -- just love when they let everyone KNOW they are there!

We're so glad you're here! I just love your avatar with all those faces! Precious!

NayNay and Mona will be fun watching! Pretty girls!

And as Anna said, most mares do a bit of kicking at their tummies! Probably trying to move baby to a more comfortable spot. And don't worry if they 'change size' or shape. As baby moves around, they can even look 'thin' one day and completely W-I-D-E the next -- just depends on how baby is laying!

Last edited:
As she is a maiden, plus the fact that she ran with your (gorgeous!) boy until Feb, I would guess that she could well be in foal. If she were to foal in January say, then you wouldn't be looking for signs of udder development until approx mid/end December, so time yet!

However, as I understand it, the Wee foal 120 test is normally accurate?? Did you test Mona as well?

You can search the archives here on the forum, but I know people have taped sanitary napkins under their mare's tail to catch fresh urine, and then squeeze the urine out for the test, so perhaps this would get you a cleaner sample to test.

Hopefully, if Mary has time from her dealings with Rusty, she can chime in. I think she's the guru when it comes to these tests. I know I've seen her post about them several times.

Latest posts

Back