Pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's got me guessing! In your earlier photos she looks quite lopsided which would indicate a little someone in there.

Here's some photos of my mare that was running with a stallion for 6mths.

She had us guessing and losing sleep because SURELY she would MUST be pregnant. Turns out the stallion was too young at the time and the goods weren't working till later that year!

DSC_0060.JPG177460_10150964406074121_1676490364_o.jpg7 dec 12.JPG13 dec 12 (3).JPG

I'm not saying your mare ISN'T pregnant, but they sure like don't like to make it easy on us!
default_new_rofl.gif

When I got him them he was 2 and a bit and had been running with her for 5 months. You couldn't see his balls till about 5 mths after I got him. He's with a new mummy now but I've got one of his babies to my other mare and she is just like him! (personality wise)

With the mare I showed you photos of I had increased her feed, assuming she was pregnant. She just kept growing and growing haha.

Well, if the earliest breeding time was in February, then baby wouldn't be expected until January at the earliest, and these mares can go a long time into their pregnancies without even looking pregnant sometimes. So, I wouldn't worry yet. Let's just see what time brings!

If she's possibly due January now would be a normal time for those udders to start changing right Di?

There are some mares that will let a stallion mount when they're pregnant. My mare wasn't pregnant but she let the stallion mount her often anytime of the month!

Oh yes! Looks as though you will be having a baby coming soon - 3 weeks??????

Most mares, including maidens, will show the 'start' of a bag approx 4 weeks before foaling, so keep watching NayNay for any changes. Mares DO come into season during the winter months, especially if running with a stallion, not all do but a lot of them will have a 'short' heat and get themselves in foal.

You could be looking at a Christmas baby with Mona so get yourself prepared!! Oh and do keep posting pics of her for us to see/help monitor her progress - remember full side on ones as well as her udder.
default_yes.gif

How exciting!!

There are really no non-fertile months. USUALLY the mares won't cycle during the very late winter months -- but that is a 'usually' -- not ALWAYS. There are plenty of foals out there born in November, December and January, so if she's cycling during the winter she can get pregnant.

Looks like she may be starting an udder -- so we'll be anxiously awaiting those photos. Give us a full side shot down on her level, and at least one from the back 'looking' down her sides at her level so we can see how baby is riding in there!

Very exciting to see changes starting.

Last edited:
When babies 'drop into place' picture their spine lining up with mommas. So, they make momma hardly look pregnant. Now, over the next several weeks, baby will continue to move around, and some days she'll look wide, and then what we call 'slab sided' -- so looking like her pictures shows today -- hardly looks pregnant. Don't worry, this is completely normal.

Looks like her udder is growing a bit, so all that is good. Now we wait and watch.....
default_whistling.gif

Mona's udder has certainly grown - looking good! From the look of her tummy, I would say that the place you got her from had other stallions around as she doesn't look big enough to be carrying a foal to a pony stallion to me, particularly as she has had so any foals before?? Actually I would have expected her tummy to be bigger/more dropped anyway comparing it to the udder increase - they really are a puzzle these two girls of yours. LOL!!

Regarding NayNay, her tummy is looking nicely rounded for a maiden who might foal in January sometime, just keep an eye on her udder development - and we will all keep our fingers crossed!!

I suggest that you just get yourself organised for two possible foalings between Christmas and the end of January, and we will watch and wait!!

Keep the pictures coming.
default_yes.gif

I'd get ready for both -- I think it's pretty definite the one, and as Anna said, January looks pretty good for the other girl! LOL

We had a wonderful little filly born last year in Alaska in the snow -- inside a trailer in the middle of the night. I should know, I was on the phone with them.

Baby did just fine, I believe they used a blow dryer to dry her off, and had a nicely bedded 'stall' for her, and she did great. Not to worry, you'll get through this. Remember, many people breed for early January babies, so they are 'mature' for the show ring, so we'll help you prepare, and I'm sure baby will do just fine.

I live in Montana and have a friend that bought a foal in the summer that had been born in November or December (its been a few years, but I recall it being a mid-winter foal). Where he came from, they just had a basic barn, he did just fine.

Back