Pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a mare whose udder all but disappeared 2 days before foaling! Of course when it came back it was overnight and just GINOURMOUS by am
default_smile.png
Ive also had a mare who developed an udder very similar to your mares when she was 4-6 months bred. Vet determined it was prolly hormone related she carried to term , I was on foal watch for almost a year with that one!

It's not wax. Wax does not usually come in/start slowly, rather it happens quickly, is about an inch in length and looks like the 'colour' of candle wax. As it is 'hard' it soon breaks off as the mare moves around so many owners never notice it!

And yes it does look as though NayNay is moving forward nicely, but I still think they have both got a little way to go yet with their udders.

Keep the pictures coming.
default_yes.gif

I totally agree. Even with the fur, it appears she has a ways to go, but remember, udders can fill quickly when the time is ready. Keep us posted and we love the pictures!!

Hi Luna, I am going to post a picture for you to see what waxing looks like. Typically the mares udder will be tight and full, and the pressure of the bag being tight and full is why the milk starts to leak. Your mares udder is not tight and or full ( yet) the little hard plugs your seeing are just from normal sloughing.
default_smile.png
Remember not all mares wax or get a huge full tight udder, some even get huge and tight and do not wax! Most mares will loose the look of there being two separate halves to the udder ( if you look at your mares udder she still has 2 *sides* and it still doesnt join in the back) By the looks of your mares udder I would guess you still have a way to wait. However continue to check am & pm. If its difficult for you to see try doing a light clipping of the udder area.

this is a picture of a mare with wax :

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate%20x%20riot%202013/113133pm002.jpg

you can see from this view her udder is hard and tight, she has a well formed back ( the area behind the teats) she foaled a few hours later:

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate%20x%20riot%202013/114139am017.jpg

you will also be able to see the mares udder ( usually) from behind the mares back legs:

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate%20x%20riot%202013/16131am025_zpsb1a40177.jpg

Luna, I went back and read your whole topic
default_smile.png
To help me under stand and help you better could you answer a few questions?

What was the day you brought Mona home from the place she was, with the 13 hh stallion?

Was she ever in an area with your stallion? If so what dates?

When was the last date NayNay was with your stallion?

I ask because wee foal 120 are usually correct, even if slightly contaminated, However I wonder if your stallion somehow got with Mona and perhaps she is starting some development from a fling with him
default_smile.png

I had a shetland mare named Bonny ( my user name) Who * came to me bred, but wasnt, during the time I thought she was bred from the place she came from, she started to develop an udder ( looked exactly l;ike your mares) However I had brought in a mini stallion to breed a different mare and he covered Bonny. She carried that same udder for almost the entire pregnancy and was not bred when she came but was bred from the mini stallion I brought home. So I ended up watching her for almost a YEAR! It was my first pregnant mare, my first experience and Boy was I thankful to have friends and ppl here that helped me.

Being that your mare has had many foals, and negative 120 wee foal) this could be early pregnancy hormones changing, or could just coincide with heat cycles. After looking at her side view pics and the front view pics I dont think she looks like a mare due to foal anytime soon. I would be suspect that she may have had a night out with your handsome fella!

With all that said, lol, Heres what I would do, try and find a Vet that would be willing to Ultra sound her, or have a blood pregnancy test done. You could also wait til spring, wee foal 120 again and start teasing her to your stallion, all the mean while checking her udder.

I dont want to see you go through what I did, it was very exhausting! I wish you all the best and keep the pictures coming. I know the Ladies here wont mind helping answer any questions you have. And I sure hope you get to the bottom of this mystery!

Ladies, what are yalls thoughts? I certainly dont want to leave out yalls opinions!
default_smile.png

Back