Pre-driving training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of getting my colt (soon to be gelding) trained to drive in the future.

My question is what handling and training can I do for him at home before he begins any driving training?

I am in no rush to get him driving as he's not even 2 until August, but until he's old enough and ready, what experiences should I be giving him that will help him?

I won't be competing, it will just be something fun to do as I won't be breeding any more. I was going to sell all my horses but I am definitely keeping him now.

Should add that I'm going to take driving lessons myself as well.

Thanks all,

Maria

You can begin lots of things at this age! He can learn to use his body with lead-line work. He can learn whoa. You can begin to desensitize him, so he is comfortable being exposed to various things. This fall you can begin ground-driving.

A lot will depend on how mentally mature he is.

I hope you will keep us posted on your progress.

In a short answer, get really good at Showmanship. A good Showmanship horse is (usually) a great driving horse.

Myrna

In addition to all those things, get him out and let him see the world! Take him to parades, on trail walks, past barking dogs, windmills, flapping tarps...do obstacle training. Get him slowly desensitized to lead ropes around his legs, under his tail, between his hind legs, over his ears. Teach him to move away from a tap of a whip or crop. Have him follow rolling and dragging things and make a game out of it so he gains confidence and learns not to be afraid of noises. Teach him about carriage bells this Christmas and lunge him (when he's old enough) with plastic bags hanging from him. (Desensitize him to them first of course, you don't want to scare him!) Teach him all his voice commands and how to ground-tie. You really can't do too much to a future driving horse as long as you take things at his pace and don't overwhelm him.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

In a short answer, get really good at Showmanship. A good Showmanship horse is (usually) a great driving horse.

Myrna

I couldn't agree with you more. Halter (for show) training is so important, in my opinion. Even if you never plan to show the horse at halter, through this training, he learns an absolute whoa, learns to move fore and hind quarters independantly of one another, and learns patience.
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree with you more. Halter (for show) training is so important, in my opinion. Even if you never plan to show the horse at halter, through this training, he learns an absolute whoa, learns to move fore and hind quarters independantly of one another, and learns patience.
default_aktion033.gif
Actually I vote for obstacle class. They can start as a yearling and learn to listen to you and trust you as well as become very calm around all sorts of objects / distractions.

Thanks all!

I think I am going to write down a little training programme for him including all these ideas. Should keep us both busy for a good while!

default_wink.png

Maria

Latest posts

Back