Prayers needed for Pyro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So very happy that Pyro is doing better and hope he makes a full recovery.This happening just reinforced the thought of my not getting my mini gelded. He is almost 12 and I am not taking any chances with him what so ever. Ive never worked with a horse vet and my dog vet wont recommend anyone.

Good luck give him lots of lovings!

I hope since you have a horse now you do find a good horse vet soon, you just never know when you are going to need one. Could be in the middle of the night! 12 is not that old to geld, by the way, and things like what happened in this post are very rare, but obviously that's completely your choice to do what you think is best for your little guy.

I just wanted to say sorry that ended up happening to your boy. But even though you signed that form you still should be able to sue him or get the costs of what you paid him and the other vet back. You in no way signed over your ability to sue over negligance. Cleary this is a case of negligance. If you were to have listened to him the chances of pyro coming out alive would of been slim in my belife. The vet did what he did and instead of fixing seemed to have just ignored the problem and said it would be okay. It's wrong and is negligance. I agree with the other poster on filing to the vet thng about this. Also be sure to get a report frm the vet that fixed pyro saying the damage that was done and what the effects would of been if left liked the inital vet said to.

I TOTALLY AGREE with GIzzome and Eagles Ring Farm. Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights. I believe they take the same oath as a regular Doctor's. "Do no harm to the patient." I'm glad to hear Pyro is doing better. I hope he continues to improve. God Bless, TJ

Last edited:
So very happy that Pyro is doing better and hope he makes a full recovery.This happening just reinforced the thought of my not getting my mini gelded. He is almost 12 and I am not taking any chances with him what so ever. Ive never worked with a horse vet and my dog vet wont recommend anyone.

I thought that gelding was a condition required by the rescue when you got your horse??? Will the rescue not follow up to make sure that you've actually gelded him as you agreed you would? Here the rescues do follow up, and if the animal isn't gelded/neutered/spayed as per the agreement, they take that animal back.

I do hope that you find a horse vet soon; it doesn't pay to wait until you need the services of a horse vet to start looking for one!

As said, bad experiences--such as Christina and Pyro's--are actually few and far between. Given the hundreds and hundreds of horses that are gelded in this country alone each year the few that go wrong in some way make up a very small percentage. I would not use this bad experience as an excuse to not geld a horse! Nor would I use his 12 years of age as an excuse.

Hey all,

Update tonight. He is doing very well, he is still pooping and peeing and he is still eating well. He is still getting small feeding of grain and is now getting a good bit of hay. He is feeling likes his old self again, still has some swelling and soreness, but he would with just a normal gelding procedure. The weather is getting bad with storms tomorrow and winter weather all week, so he will have to stay in his stall. But we will move his sister in with him to keep him company as long as they behave themselves.
default_laugh.png

I just wanted to add this, for those who saw my experience with Pyro and thought about not gelding anymore, It was just one of those freak things because of a vets neglagence. Alot of boys are happier as geldings, and are just not meant to be stallions (Conformation wise or mentally). And IMO geldings are the best show horse you could want, no hormones etc to deal with. Trust me my main show horse is a filly
default_rolleyes.gif

Christina

Hey all,
Update tonight. He is doing very well, he is still pooping and peeing and he is still eating well. He is still getting small feeding of grain and is now getting a good bit of hay. He is feeling likes his old self again, still has some swelling and soreness, but he would with just a normal gelding procedure. The weather is getting bad with storms tomorrow and winter weather all week, so he will have to stay in his stall. But we will move his sister in with him to keep him company as long as they behave themselves.
default_laugh.png

I just wanted to add this, for those who saw my experience with Pyro and thought about not gelding anymore, It was just one of those freak things because of a vets neglagence. Alot of boys are happier as geldings, and are just not meant to be stallions (Conformation wise or mentally). And IMO geldings are the best show horse you could want, no hormones etc to deal with. Trust me my main show horse is a filly
default_rolleyes.gif

Christina
Christina, So glad he's still improving. What a relief. I also think your comment about this being a freak situation and not to avoid gelding because of this is great! Horrible things can happen with any procedure - on animals or people. There are neglegent (sp?) "professionals" everywhere.

I just noticed this thread tonight. I had to read it all the way through. I'm so sorry this happened to your boy. But very happy to hear he is improving with each update. I hope he will be 100% on no time flat. I hope you do report this vet and in no way pay for his "services" or lack their of. I'm happy you found a good vet to fix him up. Are they close enough to you, what about them taking over, they also seem reasonable in the cost department.

I thought that gelding was a condition required by the rescue when you got your horse??? Will the rescue not follow up to make sure that you've actually gelded him as you agreed you would? Here the rescues do follow up, and if the animal isn't gelded/neutered/spayed as per the agreement, they take that animal back.

I do hope that you find a horse vet soon; it doesn't pay to wait until you need the services of a horse vet to start looking for one!

As said, bad experiences--such as Christina and Pyro's--are actually few and far between. Given the hundreds and hundreds of horses that are gelded in this country alone each year the few that go wrong in some way make up a very small percentage. I would not use this bad experience as an excuse to not geld a horse! Nor would I use his 12 years of age as an excuse.
Yes thats what the lady told me. That she wanted me to have him gelded. I asked her to send me the paperwork on him so I can make sure its in there. She sent me a email, one of their board members is a officer and he was shot in the line of duty. He is doing ok, but she will send them as soon as she can. So I am still waiting.

I did ask the girl across the street who she uses and she gave me the name of her vet. Im going to make a appointment to have her come out and give him a good health check. To be blunt, if it does not say I have to have him gelded, I wont do it, I am to scared something will happen. If I do have to do it, I will, just have to find the best vet.

Saddletrail, bad experiences with gelding procedures are really quite rare. Pyro's problem was his vet is an idiot, and should never have done the procedure. Thankfully, Pyro appears to be coming out of his experience well, and I will keep him in my prayer that his recovery continues to go well, and there are no residual effects from the way he was gelded.

I had a coming 3 year old gelded in October. My vet is very good, and was concerned because of his age. Houdini came out of it very well, although he had a LOT of swelling.

I think you might want to consider getting your boy gelded, as he really will be happier as a gelding. However, I do think you have a good idea in finding a good vet to do it. Now would be a good time, or at least before spring and the hormones start flowing again. You may want to consider hauling him somewhere if necessary. I had a 3 year old colt gelded last year at a friend's farm (we had a gelding party), and he did fine hauling afterwards. I waited several hours before we left though, to make sure he would be able to balance in the trailer. We went slow, and he bounced off the trailer at home like nothing happened.

The second colt did have some complications with his procedure, but they weren't related to having his jewels removed. Apparently he had extra valves in his neck veins, and the vets had a devil of a time getting his IV's in. They had to try both sides of his neck, and poor boy was swollen from throatlatch to shoulder for about a week after. Took them over an hour just to finally get the IV in. The actual removal took much less time. This was with vets from UCD, by the way.

Find a good vet, and you will lessen your chances of anything going wrong. Also, if you can haul him to a facility to do the procedure, even if something does go wrong, they are better prepared to quickly counteract the problem.

I certainly wouldn't let Pyro's bad experience turn me off of gelding forever. Gelding is something that can really make a difference in a stallions life.

The farrier came out today and told me he thought he was a good weight, maybe start cutting down a bit on his pellets or he would end up overweight.

When I measured him he was 41 around his girth and 42 inches long. The website I found that calculates his weight for you said he would be around 219lbs. At 33 inches tall, is that a good weight?

I dont have a problem having him gelded, just so many horror stories and problems when having it done. If something bad were to happen to him I would die.heheh

He is my baby and means everything to me.

Saddletrail, The experience that Christina had with Pyro was very rare and unusual......caused by a bad vet. The procedure for gelding is actually very simple. If you haven't established a vet that you feel comfortable with yet, I would recommend talking to people and getting references from them. If you get the same vet named by three or more people with positive reports, check him out. Our current vet, we literally interviewed first before "hiring" him.

default_rolleyes.gif

Christina
Glad to hear Pyro is mending - I feel for you both.
default_wub.png

Just a little story on the competence of "professionals" - be they veterinarians or doctors... one must ALWAYS advocate for oneself and those around you. Don't mean to go off the thread but as horse owners and parents, sometimes we do know best as we know our animals and family members best and hopefully my story can help someone else.

I am a type 1 diabetic and with my first son (now 18), when he was delivered, he was put on my chest for "bonding" and the staff "took care" of stuff. What they did not know or did not tell me, was that a baby born to a diabetic mom will have low blood sugar after delivery as they are used to a sugary environment in utero and their immature systems need time to adjust. The delivery was a horror story as well - two days of prostaglandin gel and three days of pitocin...by day two on the Pitocin I was begging for a c-section and they would not do it, even though Andy's heart was doing odd things. :arg!

Andy was taken to the nursery some time after delivery where apparently his sugar crashed to 20 (normal for me is 70-140) and he had seizures. Imagine my horror when a neonatologist (I had no idea who he was or what was going on) came into my room to tell me Andy was seizing and his sugar was low and they were not sure if he had brain damage. They were trying to fix the low blood sugar and finally got him stabilized. He ended up with a learning disability and I know it was due to the "professionals" handling us at the time.

When my second son Benjamin was delivered in a different state, I relayed my story to my new OB-GYN and he was horrified of the details of the induction, delivery and Andy's condition. We decided that once Ben took his first breaths, he would immediately go to the NICU to make sure his blood sugar was stable. I had an A1C of 4.9 so it was not like he was in a sugary environment in utero but something about my chemistry also caused Ben's bG to drop after birth. The staff and OB-GYN said yes, I was right and they were on top of it so Ben did not go through what his brother did.

Don't be afraid to question the professionals and if you don't like the situation at hand, tell them so. You have hired them to provide a service and it stinks that if a contractor messes up on your house you can sue but if a medical professional messes up, we are often "stuck." Luckily, I am blessed with a great veterinarian and Cornell U if we need them.

Benjamin has been showing tendencies of narcolepsy for two years and he was not happy with the doctor's treatment of him and he told her so - he politely asked for his records and said "I am never coming here again. I did not need to sit here for three hours waiting for you so you could tell me I needed more testing done. You could have called me on the phone and told me that." We have been trying to get an answer for a year and after extensive testing, the doctor said "You can't have narcolepsy as you are not in your 20s and that's when it comes out. We will have to do more tests." Ben waited four different times and every appointment lasted 3 hours - three hours of us waiting in a room for someone to come and see us. I hope I taught him well to be his own advocate.

May Pyro continue to heal and may he get to graze with his sister very soon.

Denise

So glad to hear Pyro is doing better. I have 2 boy's that need gelded in the next few weeks and MAN after reading this it is down right scary. I mean I read the post and I know it's rare but it's still scary. NOW, I want to have a DARN good talk with my vet. He's new to me and SEEMS to be a good vet and so far has been very good. BUT, he's ALWAYS in a hurry. I don't want him to rush it just cause he's in a darned hurry. He forgets to tell you instructions cause he's in such a hurry and he rushes you. Other wise he's VERY good. The horses seem to like him. He's always right on with their diagnosis. He's very empahtic with my them. I'm just REALLY scared now. If anything happened to those two little boy's I'd just be besides myself. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Just scared. I am happy Pyro is on his way to healing, that is good news. TJ

So glad to hear Pyro is doing better. I have 2 boy's that need gelded in the next few weeks and MAN after reading this it is down right scary. I mean I read the post and I know it's rare but it's still scary. NOW, I want to have a DARN good talk with my vet. He's new to me and SEEMS to be a good vet and so far has been very good. BUT, he's ALWAYS in a hurry. I don't want him to rush it just cause he's in a darned hurry. He forgets to tell you instructions cause he's in such a hurry and he rushes you. Other wise he's VERY good. The horses seem to like him. He's always right on with their diagnosis. He's very empahtic with my them. I'm just REALLY scared now. If anything happened to those two little boy's I'd just be besides myself. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Just scared. I am happy Pyro is on his way to healing, that is good news. TJ
I feel just this way anytime I take one of my animals in for elective surgery (such as spaying/nuetering, dentals, etc), as there are always risks involved. Still, I know overall, I'm making the best decision for my animals, and that gives me a lot of comfort. If I'd left my little horse intact he wouldn't have the life he does now, with the buddies he does now. He gets to be a HORSE for the rest of his life. Well worth the risks involved.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Do not blame yourself - when you go in to trust a professional you expect them to not hurry and to do things correctly. Also, no waiver can have you waive your right to sue a professional for their own professional negligence. You can waive the right to make a claim that is related to normal possible complications from a properly performed procedure but not negligence - The inguinal ring should not have been hit.

Latest posts

Back