Prayers needed for Pyro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cristina, there was no way you could have known that this procedure was going to turn out bad for Pyro,

with the first vet unless you were a vet yourself..

But you'll know from now on which vet to never use again.. so there is a positive in all of this.

I also would be thrilled that the second vet only charged you 120.00 to identify and correct the problem.
default_aktion033.gif
So glad for that too.

Thanks for the update and hope all heals well for Pyro.

I hope Pyro recovers just fine.

Oh Christina, I am so sorry. Poor Pyro and you!! I sincerely hope everything turns out ok. Will keep you both in my thoughts.

Pam

I am sooo sorry for Pyro, I feel your pain. A year ago, I had the vet come out to geld a 32" two year old. This vet OVER sedated, Popper was seizing, I did make a comment and the vet said it was "normal". I've had a lot of horses gelded over the years and have never seen it. So he goes through the procedure and leaves without bringing him out of sedation, I sat there with the horse for over 4 hours before he came to. A day later I noticed that the swelling seemed a bit excessive, so I call the vet and he didn't feel the need to come and check him out, again saying it was "normal", I called them every day for 5 days, and finally he said to come in for antibiotics, the next day I call again and said it is not normal, the swelling is almost up to his front legs! The vet finally comes to check on him, in my opinion freaked out, once again OVER sedated him, the poor little guy was seizing again. he drained the incision, and left. Again I sit with the horse for over 4 hours. Next morning my Popper is dead. The clinic charged me $260 to kill my little horse. What I found out after the fact from a vet tech at another clinic was this. Just like MD's they have malpractice insurance, you can refuse to pay the bill, and they are still covered. In my case they should have paid for the horse, small consolation, but not as insulting as charging me to do it! What makes this case particularly sad is that this vet was raised around small horses, his parents have a pony farm, and I think he over sedated because he was actually afraid of this little 32" horse! Bottom line, Riverdance is right, don't pay the vet clinic for putting your little horse through heck!
default_no.gif

I am so sorry you- and him have to go thru this, but like you said, many lessons learned. My thoughts and prayers are for you and your little guy, I told all my boys in the barn what happened, I think they understood and just cringed, ha ha ha. since all of them just got gelded 3 weeks ago !! Hang in there!!!

Prayers for a full recovery for your Pyro. This is horrible - no horse should ever have to go through what Pyro went through. You really need to pursue this issue with the state board - that vet is incompetent and is going to cause the death of other animals if he is not stopped now.

Thank Heavens you found another vet right away - and Pyro is on the road to recovery.

Luckily the second vet was very reasonable with their costs and total it was only $133. As where the first vet just for the gelding was $120!

Well I would certainly stop payment on the check for the first vet and call his office to tell them why. I would also call the vet board, this guy sounds like he may be having some physical problems (perhaps mentally) and he is making some serious mistakes.

Is he by any channce more of a cattle vet and does very few horses?

I was thinking along the same line as Riverdance!

Your poor little guy! I'm so glad you got him to a second vet..........And no, YOU should not feel guilty. The guilt should be on the first vet who botched up a SIMPLE procedure!

Wonderful news, hope things keep going well.

I am so happy for little Pyro.

I would really be handing the vet your bill from the second vet and asking him how much of it he feels he should be responsible for?

Word of mouth goes a loooooong way!

I am sorry to hear that poor Pyro had to go through such an ordeal. Sounds like he's doing better now, and I pray that will continue.

Since the vet is older and obviously not straight out of vet school then he's either stupid, totally unfeeling, or senile... I would not pay his vet bill and I would report him to the state vet association--and would probably present him with the 2nd vet bill as well. He should be ashamed of himself.

"kicking and fighting" is the best way I know of to cause a hernia in a horse that otherwise wouldn't have a problem with gelding. I know people that have had it happen when they tied the horse down & gelded without any drugs--as far as I'm concerned that's about as cruel as you can get. Sadly, there are still people that have their horses gelded this way. I learned just recently that there are still farriers around that will also geld horses, and I'm thinking there are probably no drugs being used in these cases. <shudder>

I have shut down a gelding procedure when the horse didn't respond properly to the anesthetic, and I have demanded IV banamine for a horse that was topped up with only Ketamine, no rompun, and so had terrible muscle spasms--which are extremely painful. You could see that agony in his eyes, and you could sure tell when the banamine took effect! I no longer use that vet for my geldings--I've switched to one that is much better with drug dosage and administration, and better at the gelding procedure as well.

I am so sorry that this happened to your boy
default_no.gif
Hopefully, you are past the worst. One note on the form you signed saying you would not hold him accountable for complications.

#1 This would presume that the vet did not cause the complication through his mismanagement. This was not just an infection, or bleeding, etc that can happen. He made the horse suffer without proper anesthesia, then allowed the gut to come through.

#2 Permits are an informed consent that do not really protect the vet if he did wrong, but the absence of a permit would hurt him. I work in the medical field where this is true and I am sure that there are similar considerations hereI hope everything goes weel.

Barb

Well I went in the stall with him late last night and and was seeing if he wanted to eat, he ate a good 2-3 handfulls of grain. Taking it slow with his grain intake. He is going to be fed 4 small meals a day down instead of only 2 big one 2x a day. He appears to be doing well this morning and is up and moving around. He looks like is is drinking and has been eating a little of his hay.

So we made it throught the night, which is a big accomplishment for him. Now just have to take it day by day and hope that his improvement continues.
default_smile.png
He gets to go on a walk later this morning and eat some good grass and see all his friends and tell them he is ok. He has never been away from his sister Diva since he was born, but they are both doing ok. I think they know its for the best they are not together right now. And I know he can't wait to be better enough to go out and just be a horse again.

I hope that Pyro is feeling his oats soon!

Keeping you and your horse in my thoughts and prayers.

I didn't read everyone's response so maybe someone else already said it but, my first thought was - if this is an established vet who you have had success with before.....it almost sounds to me like he (the vet) was on something, maybe booze or drugs or something that caused him to do such a horrible job. I'd certainly be checking him out with other people who use him, or who "used" to use him and see if something like that might be going on. I know there's a vet in our area who is very well known for his drinking problem.

As others have said that waiver was just routine in case something went wrong- stuff happens is what it is saying...like if Pyro had had an unforeseeable allergy to the anaesthetic, or a weak heart...something unforeseeable but fatal, I sign one every time my horses go in for gelding or a dog for spaying/surgery etc, it is normal and in NO way means you cannot sue for total negligence.

You need to stop the cheque and inform the Vet that you intend to make a complaint against his practise, and you need a written statement from the second Vet...it is unlikely that one professional will come out and accuse another of negligence, but you can ask for a complete rundown on the procedures that they carried out...none of these should have been necessary if the Vet had done his job properly.

I hate to put this on you, Christina, as I know you are now just so grateful Pyro is OK you probably just want to forget this happened but think of someone coming along behind you now having this happen to their kids pet pony- bad enough that it happened to you, but think if there were six and seven year olds involved and people that know no better than to trust this Vet...he cannot be allowed to get away with this, it is not right, you have to do something.

I am so glad Pyro is now OK, and I hope he continues to improve, but he never should have had to go through any of this in the first place.

My Vet is greased lightening and she takes up to half an hour and we think that is quick!!!

And she uses really light anaesthesia, no more than the colts need, but always enough, they are coming round as she finishes up, but they always are flat out on the floor all the way through!!
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So very happy that Pyro is doing better and hope he makes a full recovery.

This happening just reinforced the thought of my not getting my mini gelded. He is almost 12 and I am not taking any chances with him what so ever. Ive never worked with a horse vet and my dog vet wont recommend anyone.

Good luck give him lots of lovings!

I was really glad to see the positive updates this morning! I have two colts that will be gelded next spring, and my old vet is no longer doing geldings, so anticipating that I will have to use a new vet and reading stories like this one really has me paranoid. Do not let that vet get away with what he did to Pyro! I would send a copy of your second vet bill to the first clinic along with your complaint. Best wishes for Pyro's continued recovery.

Latest posts

Back