Prayers needed for Pyro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes from us as well.

I have had many many horses gelded even a few crypts and never had an issue like this.

BEST WISHES!!!!!

I am just sitting here shaking my head. I am so very sorry to hear that he had to go through such a tramatic event!! I would NEVER go back to that vet. What were they thinking?????? :DOH!

My guess is the vet who did the castration is a new vet fresh out of school. I would be calling the vet office and talking with the owner right away to let him know what happened. I would also tell him to expect to foot the bill with the second vet and stop payment on the check you gave the first vet.

One of the vets we have here keeps hiring fresh out of school vets. I can not tell you how many times they have misdiagnosed one of my horses. The two owners were really good, but they relied on the young vets too often.

I finally switched vets to a group who have been in practice for years and they do not have new vets on staff all of the time. They are GREAT and I am happy!!

Castration does take longer than 3 minutes and trying to put back intestines without cleaning them and putting the horse on antibiotics is just asking for trouble. The intestines may not have touched the ground, but they were still contaminated by just touching the outside of the horse.

I hope everything turns out well.

I am so very sorry. It is so hard to trust anyone these days with your family. Pyro will be in my prayers for him to pull through this. I am so glad he is with a vet, keep faith they will fix him up.

I am speechless.
default_new_shocked.gif
I can only say I am so sorry, Pyro will be in my thoughts (and you too)

I would definatly not pay the bill and make them pay the other vets bill. Its only right!! I've only had one bad experience with a vet and unfortunately it cost me my horses life.
default_no.gif

Keep us informed as to what happens to Pyro.

sounds like this vet needs to be castrated without sedation and see how HE likes it! i can't believe they'd just shove the intestines back in without cleaning them properly and then suturing. what a great way to kill the horse!! i can't believe he'd tell you to run him the next day in a situation like that..those intestines are going to fall back out if there's nothing there to hold them in.. he's just plain STUPID. Glad to hear you have him at a different vet who is hopefully more competent and will make sure to get him on heavy anitibiotics and maybe check those intestines ect. rediculous is all i can say.

I JUST had a boy done the day before yesterday and although it was fast it took a lot longer than 3 minutes.

Let me answer some questions first, then I will put an update on Pyro

That vet sounds like an idiot! Packing an opening that the intestines are coming out of with just gauze and no sutures? Sounds wierd to me. Did Pyro have an inguinal hernia? That's what it sounds like to me. Best wishes to him and to you
default_wub.png
Yes, I believe that he had an inguinal hernia.

I would never have even allowed my vet to even think about gelding my horse without him being properly sedated, i would have told the vet that he was not touching that horse until he got him sedated properly, normally my vet uses a little extra sedation (not much extra) as mine are just a tad bit "hotter" boys. And i agree with Matt, that vet sounds like a major idiot.
I'm sorry, it would kill me knowing one of my horses was in that sort of pain
default_sad.png
I know I should have stopped him right then and there, but thought maybe since Pyro was kicking the crap out of him he would have stopped and gave him some more sedation.

Prayers for your Pyro.
I don't think I would have allowed the vet to touch him when he wasn't properly sedated, but I guess you don't want to hear that now.

We have had horses sedated on a few occassions in our 17 years of being horse owners, and they are always very groggy and it's obvious they aren't feeling pain, or at least they are not struggling or moving.

For our two gelding procedures the horses were right out.

With the struggling Pyro was doing to get out of the situation he probably caused more damage too.

Sorry for having such a hard lesson.

Hopefully all is well, with a more knowledgeable vet looking after him now.
I know, very hard lesson learned. It was one of those in the moment, beside myself I can not believe this is happening things. I knew what he was doing was wrong, but good do nothing to stop it.

An equine castration should last longer than 3 minutes. They must use an emasculator to crush the cord AND blood vessels leaving it on for at least a minute (rule of thumb is one minute for every year of life). Normal protocol is to lay the horse down with injectables, visualize/clamp first testicle, strip the second, cut the first, and clamp the second before cutting. How long had this vet been out of school? Why was he so nervous? And if he couldn't visualize the vein for injectables, did he at least clip some hair to see it better? I hope Pyro turns out ok, and I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. NOT all geldings have these issues.
I have seen several other geldings by 2 different vets, and the procedure is like you describe. This vet simply cut him open, pulled out each testical, put the emasculator to crush the cord for maybe 30 sec - 1min. and then pulled it off and went to the next one, sprayed him with antibiotic spray and was done.
default_new_shocked.gif

My guess is the vet who did the castration is a new vet fresh out of school. I would be calling the vet office and talking with the owner right away to let him know what happened. I would also tell him to expect to foot the bill with the second vet and stop payment on the check you gave the first vet.
One of the vets we have here keeps hiring fresh out of school vets. I can not tell you how many times they have misdiagnosed one of my horses. The two owners were really good, but they relied on the young vets too often.

I finally switched vets to a group who have been in practice for years and they do not have new vets on staff all of the time. They are GREAT and I am happy!!

Castration does take longer than 3 minutes and trying to put back intestines without cleaning them and putting the horse on antibiotics is just asking for trouble. The intestines may not have touched the ground, but they were still contaminated by just touching the outside of the horse.

I hope everything turns out well.
Unfortuatly this was not a vet fresh out of school which is why I trusted him, he was an older gentleman maybe in his 60's and he is the owner of the vet clinic. He is the same one who we have always worked with and he did everything perfect. it was a horrible time for him to have an ''off'' day. But after he told me it happens sometime, I am thinking this is usually for him
default_new_shocked.gif

I would definatly not pay the bill and make them pay the other vets bill. Its only right!! I've only had one bad experience with a vet and unfortunately it cost me my horses life.
default_no.gif

Keep us informed as to what happens to Pyro.
I thought about sueing, problem is we signed a form stating we do not hold them responsible for anything that happens to the horse. Didn't think anything about it since I trusted the guy. But will never use him for gelding ever again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

Well the second vet knew what the first vet did was VERY wrong and knew the gause needed to come out. They fully sedated him and since he is so small they were able to put him on a stretcher and take him into an operating table. The pulled out the gause, flushed him out and checked everything inside, and repaired his iniguial ring. He is not sown up completely, as now he has a normal gelding insisicion. Everyone at the clinic was in love with him and he was a very good boy through out. I think he knows everyone is trying to save his life. He is back at home under camera in our stall in the house so we can watch him 24/7 and he is on several medications and stall rest. With a few daily walks to help with swelling.

He is definatly feeling better and not in so much pain. He is pooping and drinking and nibbling at hay, and I gave him a handfull of grain tonight. I feel so terrible for what happened to him and I feel like its my fault for not stopping the vet. But lesson learned, move forward and hope he does not pay for my mistake. After he is all better he will be spoiled rotten (well, more spoiled lol)

Thank you everyone for the prayers and good thoughts. They mean so much to me and Pyro
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I would also guess they were fresh out of school. My vet was out 1.5 week s ago to geld my 08 colt. She had a semi newbie with her. Oversaw /helped with the entire procedure and since it took a little longer than usual, she gave him frequent small doses of meds to keep him well sedated while they were finishing up.

I would deffinately HIGHLY suggest they pay for any bills that are incured by another vet in relation to this procedure.

Hope he makes a quick recovery, sending good thoughts your way.

Carolyn

Luckily the second vet was very reasonable with their costs and total it was only $133. As where the first vet just for the gelding was $120!

:DOH! OMGosh!! What a horrible scare!!! I am praying for a full recovery!! I have had similar experiences with two other gelding's I have been a witness too. One was my own gelding which the vet decided that he'd do him standing up, and since I was 16 at the time he told me to "run along kid, only someone over 18 can tell me to stop". Well my mom and dad were gone, so I eventually told him to quit and we had to rush poor little Dallas to the Equine hospital. Sometimes I think I did wrong, sometimes I think I did ok. At least Dallas was alright. Then the next one, was a horse we were considering buying but asked the owner if they could have him gelded. (DIFFERENT VET) Gelded without sedation, and killed him, he bled to death, as the little stud jumped away from him and he tore something, and that owner didn't tell us till he was already dead!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Right now I am in search of a good gelding vet, the one I useing who was AWESOME, has gotten so busy he can't do geldings any more in the winter, only in summer (when we'd have to deal with flys,ect).

It's a spooky process which is so sad, because the gelding procedure is suppose to be simple, with little complications that could happen. After having stuff like this go on, and now with little Pyro, it always makes me think twice!!

Hugs to you and Pryo, and sending constant prayers that way!

Please do not blame yourself for the stupidity of a vet

you put trust in the fact he knew what he was doing.

You did the best thing you could have getting him

help right away after the first vet did such a horrid job

Hugs to you and Pyro after such a terrible experience.

Hope he's back to himself real soon

Lori

Luckily the second vet was very reasonable with their costs and total it was only $133. As where the first vet just for the gelding was $120!

Well I would certainly stop payment on the check for the first vet and call his office to tell them why. I would also call the vet board, this guy sounds like he may be having some physical problems (perhaps mentally) and he is making some serious mistakes.

Is he by any channce more of a cattle vet and does very few horses?

I just wanted to say sorry that ended up happening to your boy. But even though you signed that form you still should be able to sue him or get the costs of what you paid him and the other vet back. You in no way signed over your ability to sue over negligance. Cleary this is a case of negligance. If you were to have listened to him the chances of pyro coming out alive would of been slim in my belife. The vet did what he did and instead of fixing seemed to have just ignored the problem and said it would be okay. It's wrong and is negligance. I agree with the other poster on filing to the vet thng about this. Also be sure to get a report frm the vet that fixed pyro saying the damage that was done and what the effects would of been if left liked the inital vet said to.

signing a waiver like that is just what insurance companies want to have their

clients get customers to sign to discourage people from a court suit, as people

think they have given up their right to a law suit

Oh, I am so sorry! My heart hurts for you and your little Pyro. I do pray he will be ok.

I know you have heard alot of advice. I agree it sounds like there may be something going on health-wise with that vet. For his own sake and the sake of other clients, you might really want to consider filing a report to your state's

Veterinary Examiners' office. Just have everything documented and they will check into it.

Give Pyro a smooch from all of us here! Tell him we are rooting for him!

Peggy

Latest posts

Back