Prayers needed for Pyro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
Took Pyro to get gelded this morning. We were using this vet for the first time for a gelding procedure, as they have done well with all our other horse needs. Well the vet was acting very nervous and was having hard time hitting the veins to give Pyro the knock-out meds. Finally got him but gave him barely any, as he was saying better to have them more awake and fight you then too asleep
default_new_shocked.gif
. Poor Pyro was still pretty much wide awake the whole procedure kicking and fighting, and you could tell he felt everything, the vet rushed quickly through the cutting and took MAYBE 3min total. Well, so they untied him and he started flailing around and his intestines started coming out of his freshly open wound. Luckily I was standing right there and saw it happen and told the vet, and had 2 big guys over that wanted to see the minis, and we got him on his back and luckily very little of the intestines came out and they did not toucht the ground or anything. So we got them back in, first the vet was saying ok we'll sow him up, Then all he did was pack gause in there. And it started coming out right as Pyro stood up. He was in so much pain and I felt terrible for letting it happen. long story short, we were sent home right after with nothing but keep him in a stall tonight and turn him out with everyone tomorrow and make him run, and bring him back tuesday to get the gause out. And no antibiotics or anything. Luckily we talked to a friend about all this and she said to call another vet out NOW!! He is now at a different vets, and I could not bring myself to go with him so Jamie (JMSMiniatures) took him and will let me know how everything goes.

So please pray and keep good thoughts coming for Pyro, So he can pull through this. I don't know what i'll do if I lose my little man
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png

He is the little cowboy in my avatar
default_wub.png

That vet sounds like an idiot! Packing an opening that the intestines are coming out of with just gauze and no sutures? Sounds wierd to me. Did Pyro have an inguinal hernia? That's what it sounds like to me. Best wishes to him and to you
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Poor Pyro! I can't put into print what I think about that vet.
default_shutup.gif
default_gaah.gif
This is horrible and I pray your boy does alright.

OMG that vet shouldn't be allowed near any animal and you should report him to the Vet's association, I don't know what they call it in the US but the vet that is looking after poor Pyro now could tell you. I am keeping Pyro and you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery, gelding should not be like this at all. <HUGS>

Yvonne

OMG'D how TERRIBLE is this..... WHAT AN IDOT. I'd BE SUEING someone!!!!!!! GESH,,,, I hope your boy is ok. Prayers are going up.... I can't believe it. You poor thing. You must be beside yourself. )))))Hugs)=(((((( LOTS of them... My blessings and Gods blessings are rained down upon you and Pryo. PLEASE keep us informed in how he's doing.

THANK GOD you have him at another vet. Smart thinking!!!!! TJ

I would never have even allowed my vet to even think about gelding my horse without him being properly sedated, i would have told the vet that he was not touching that horse until he got him sedated properly, normally my vet uses a little extra sedation (not much extra) as mine are just a tad bit "hotter" boys. And i agree with Matt, that vet sounds like a major idiot.

I'm sorry, it would kill me knowing one of my horses was in that sort of pain
default_sad.png

Holy crap and few more words! I will pray for your Pyro, I am so sorry this happened.

You wonder how these guys get a license?

I hope he will be okay and I do not blame you for not wanting to go with him this time. Good lord......

I would certainly be contacting your state VET BOARD about this.

Take care and let us know what happens?

Beth

Poor Pyro. What a horrible thing to have happen.

I hope you'll be able to have another vet look at him and give another opinion of how his wound should be treated, especially with the complications he had.

Keep us posted.

How terrifying! I agree with funnybunny that you should have another vet out to look at him. That would be the end of my relationship with that vet. Your little Pyro will be in my prayers tonight.

OMG! That is horrible! I am a vet tech and yes if we have an animal that is an anesthetic risk we will keep him on the lighter plane of anesthesia, but by no means is the animal feeling anything! How old is your colt? Colts under a year are more prone to evisceration as sometimes the inguinal ring is still quite a large opening but still, why would the vet just pack it?!! yeesh! you did the right thing taking him to another vet, I would have done the same!

Prayers and lots of good thoughts for your colt!!!

masako

Hope all works out for the best and your horse is ok. I would report that vet and never have them touch another animal.

Prayers for your Pyro.

I don't think I would have allowed the vet to touch him when he wasn't properly sedated, but I guess you don't want to hear that now.

We have had horses sedated on a few occassions in our 17 years of being horse owners, and they are always very groggy and it's obvious they aren't feeling pain, or at least they are not struggling or moving.

For our two gelding procedures the horses were right out.

With the struggling Pyro was doing to get out of the situation he probably caused more damage too.

Sorry for having such a hard lesson.

Hopefully all is well, with a more knowledgeable vet looking after him now.

An equine castration should last longer than 3 minutes. They must use an emasculator to crush the cord AND blood vessels leaving it on for at least a minute (rule of thumb is one minute for every year of life). Normal protocol is to lay the horse down with injectables, visualize/clamp first testicle, strip the second, cut the first, and clamp the second before cutting. How long had this vet been out of school? Why was he so nervous? And if he couldn't visualize the vein for injectables, did he at least clip some hair to see it better? I hope Pyro turns out ok, and I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. NOT all geldings have these issues.

I am SO sorry!!! I hope your boy is in much better hands now. Just felt sick reading that and imagining how you and your poor boy must feel
default_no.gif
!

IM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIDN"T MEAN THE HORSE I MEAN'T THE VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN, SOOOOO SORRY
default_sad.png
I HOPE YOUR HORSE IS OKAY
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
:stupid :DOH!

Alyssa

(realllllllllly sorry)
default_sad.png

OMG that poor baby!
default_crybaby.gif

I'd like to slap the crap out of that vet! (I use the term loosely) Along with some choice words. I'm so glad he went to another vet for care.

I'm sending prayers for Pyro. {{{{Hugs}}}}

So Sorry Christina, I have never heard of such a thing...

The whole thing must have felt like a nightmare to you!!

That vet must have done something terribly wrong.
default_no.gif

Hopefully you can keep him quiet.. ..

Prayers coming your way..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back