Possible Vaccination Reaction?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I haven't had a reaction before after I give a vaccination to a horse so not sure if this is one or not. Wednesday I gave my horses a shot, 2 of them are fine but one I noticed this morning didn't seem 100% normal, he is eating his grain fine but really wasn't into the hay like he normally does, he did eventually start eating his hay. Tonight he acted worse. Still eating grain, but is yawning alot, moping around while watching the others eat the hay. I listened for gutt sounds, he even ran from me which isn't abnormal for him, has no temp. I gave him a shot of banamine. I'm not sure if he is acting this way because of the vaccine didn't know if its normal to show signs 2 days after receiving the shot? Any advice. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow morning if he shows no signs of improvement. He looked a little perkier after the banamine shot and started eating some hay but still not acting normal.

In my experience(over 20 years with Minis)it is quite common to see a reaction 1-3 days after the vaccination.Your horse should feel better in a day or so especially with the Banamine you gave.In my experience some company's products caused more reactions in my horses.I had way more trouble with FT.DODGE than any other company.I no longer use any of their products.1 Mini was so sore for almost 2 weeks.I felt so bad for him.I switched to Intervet products-no problems.

Thanks! I've switched from Ft. Dodge to Intervet too because of what I heard about the reactions Ft. Dodge can give but naturally he reacted to the Intervet vaccine. My other 2 are doing great tho.

It is probably the adjuvant used- Some horses are more sensitive to certain adjuvants than others. Usually they just feel a little malaise for a few days and then are just fine, not a problem. I always feel a little 'off' after getting certain shots myself. Now I go with live vaccines when I can-no adjuvant
default_smile.png

A 2011 filly I sold died due to a vaccination reaction. Vet came and did the vaccine, the next morning the owner found her dead in the stall. Was such a shame too as she was a really nice filly.
default_no.gif

It was a 5 way + WNV in one shot. He's still the same tonight, but I'm thinking he might be eating his grain too fast again, he's a known choker but has been doing great recently. I got some beet pulp and going to soak his grain in the morning to see if that makes any difference. Still eats grain just fine, still active, gutt sounds, no temp, not depressed, just doesn't eat his hay like he normally does. I gave him another shot of banamine just incase but don't really want to give too much of it. Also no swelling at the vaccination site and the other 2 are still doing fine.

It was a 5 way + WNV in one shot. He's still the same tonight, but I'm thinking he might be eating his grain too fast again, he's a known choker but has been doing great recently. I got some beet pulp and going to soak his grain in the morning to see if that makes any difference. Still eats grain just fine, still active, gutt sounds, no temp, not depressed, just doesn't eat his hay like he normally does. I gave him another shot of banamine just incase but don't really want to give too much of it. Also no swelling at the vaccination site and the other 2 are still doing fine.
I also do the 5 way but wondering about the WNV I stop giving it a long time ago.

Have heard of reactions to the shot.

Hope he improves keep us posted. sorry you are going through this.

Yeah I'm thinking it was the WNV too. He's always been fine with the 5-way combo but my vet just got this new shot in that contained the WNV and suggested it so I used it. The other 2 are still fine but probably won't use this same shot again. I've always been a little leary about giving the WNV but I figured its been out a long time now, I'm sure they've got it controlled and I think its an important shot to give, but may have to rethink about it.

Well I'm beginning to think its not a reaction but more of a change in the totem pole. Last week I started giving their hay in a slow feeder hay net and its big enough to where they were all sharing on it but now he is real submissive to the other 2 and he will eat it just fine if by himself, eventually they all 3 start sharing on it but again just real submissive, he ranked 2nd out of the 3. I'm glad its not a reaction but wish they would eat out of the slow feeder, hate to give it up its so dang expensive, but want him to have his hay. Also he ate his grain just fine with the soaked beet pulp.

My equine vet has recommended to give the WN separate from the 5 way and having them done on the OPPOSITE sides of the neck (or at least 3 " apart)- due to reactions from the combined vaccines.

I also want to comment on the 'shots' of banamine- I hope these are done IV and not in the muscle, or you could end up with a very severe infection in the muscle. We have been advised never to give Banamine in the muscle- either give it IV or orally. Banamine can also cause ulcers - you might want to consider using Gastro Gard along with the banamine.

Just information I thought I would pass along to any out there who are new to minis
default_smile.png

Hope your fellow perks up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he's doing better today. Any update?

I've never had a horse react to a vaccine (knock on wood) so I don't know what to expect. I do know others have certainly had it happen. Also, I've always used fort dodge.
default_new_shocked.gif
I guess I should rethink that? Sounds like lots of folks don't like them. And lastly, please don't give the banamine IM. If you have the IM kind, just give it orally. I think that's way better than risking the infection that can happen from the shot in the muscle.

Hope he's doing better!
default_yes.gif

He didn't have a reaction, I guess he had a bad experience with other horses on the hay bag and he was just being real submissive at the hay bag and not go after the hay like he normally does. He will eat out of the bag just fine by himself so he's eating hay just fine but I guess they can't share the same hay bag anymore.

Oh well I prefer this instead of having a reaction. It just didn't seem right to me that he was acting normal otherwise. Just won't be able to use the expensive slow feeder.

Thanks about the info on the banamine. I've used it plenty of times before and know the effects of it.

I seperated the hay out tonight and he's eating it just fine. Glad its no reaction but have a hay bag I can't use lol.

We have had a different type of reaction here. Our morgan used to swell badly after his vaccines. Especially sheath and pastern area. I will not give pneumabort shots either, but that is a different subject altogether. I think him acting sluggish and "off" is a pretty common reaction.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. Do you give minis the full dose of a vaccination? The same as you would a big horse?

" Do you give minis the full dose of a vaccination? The same as you would a big horse?"

Yes.
default_yes.gif
I was told " an immune system is an immune system, no matter the size of the horse".

He never acted sluggish, just looked depressed watching the others eat the hay.

The only time I heard you may want to give half a vaccination to is the foals but I've always just given the full dose.

JMS you should go ahead and list your hay bag on the sale board if you do not plan on using it. I (and I'm sure others) may be interested. It doesn't hurt to try!! Definately better than just tossing it...
default_yes.gif

I have to wait til I can put another ad up. I've listed it on FB with no response. Problem is its not a cheap bag I'm trying to get $50 for it.

Back