Possible Vaccination Reaction?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread, I know... but found this helpful today. My full size horse (avatar) just had a bad reaction to WNV vaccine from 2 days ago. Gave him banamine and he's doing better tonight. I had thought a reaction would have been fairly immediately, but this thread reinforces that they can have reactions even a couple days after the shots.

Liz N.

I personally believe that adding the WN to a 5(or 6, if VEE is included)vaccine is just 'too much in one', and heightens the likelihood of adverse reactions. I did give a multiple this year; it was E, W, Tetanus, and WN only. A couple of the horses were mildly sore, heat around the injection site, starting about 24-36 hrs. after receiving the shots, but never went off feed at all. I don't give shots in the neck unless there is absolutely no other choice; a reaction there can be MUCH more problematic than one in the buttock.

Though I administered Banamine(NOT frequently; I don't believe in 'jumping the gun' on such stuff)for many years without incident IM, I am 'going with' current beliefs, so I have successfully given injectible Banamine in a dose syringe with yogurt the most recent times I've needed to use it. Plug the tip FIRST(I have kept the tips from various older kinds of dewormer/similar products to use; they perfectly fit the tip of dose syringes), add about a t. water, then spoon in some yogurt...about half the syringe full. I have already used a needle(usually the 20 ga. that come w/ individual-dose vaccines; I have a gross of them, because I don't use that size to give shots to the minis, buying smaller, shorter needles instead to use)to draw up the proper dose of banamine into a small syringe,so I then (slowly) squirt the Banamine down into the yogurt. Tricky part is then putting the plunger into the syringe VERY SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, JUST enough so that it will stay in...then turn the tip of the syringe UPWARD, shake GENTLY to get the yogurt to 'drop' down against the plunger...then, SLOWLY and GENTLY, remove the tip to release the pressure. ONLY the water you put into the tip first should 'shoot' out. You can then ease the plunger up to reduce the air space in the tip end, then replace the tip cover, keep your finger on it, and shake/roll the syringe to mix the Banamine well w/the yogurt. Banamine has a HORRIBLY bitter taste and produces an unpleasant 'burning' sensation in the mouth(I know; I've tasted it); this should make administering it orally more acceptable, not to mention comfortable, to the horse. The yogurt should also help to 'buffer'the Banamine, which is a probable causative agent for ulcers...though it would probably be a good idea to use something like Ulcergard or Gastrogard together with the administration of Banamine.

Margo

Latest posts

Back