Please share what you are working on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was out of town Monday and Tuesday to sell calves, and found a little quilt shop. Not that I need more, but bought a little bit of fabric and got a new pattern, well sort of new, as it's a new size of a pattern I already have (freebie). Not the fabric I bought, but did make up a couple tablerunners with the new pattern: mini 10-minute tablerunner, 2 fat quarters makes two runners.

10-minute tablerunner - mini.jpg

Now that things are slowed down, I am back to enjoying my sewing. Just getting over a doozy of a cold and feeling like getting things done. I have two pair of jeans to hem and this quilt to finish quilting and add the binding. Both projects should be done this week.

JanuaryProjects.jpg

No pictures, but for quilt guild we are working on our own projects based on a pattern/technique from a magazine. I think it's called disappearing pinwheel, but I'm not sure. I did make a little table runner, and I do like the technique, it makes it easier for me to make good pinwheels (still won't make many of them, but the ones I do make will turn out better). I need to get a picture of the table runner, and will try to get back with a picture.

Sounds interesting. Would love to see photos.

I'm going looking for material for a disappearing four patch pattern. Wanting to finish up a few projects first. Thinking that American doll clothes will be my next new project.

Sounds interesting. Would love to see photos.

I'm going looking for material for a disappearing four patch pattern. Wanting to finish up a few projects first. Thinking that American doll clothes will be my next new project.
Those doll clothes are nice to make as the size is good. I have made a few.

I was looking for some very soft flannel to make receiving blankets and did not realize that some of the new flannels are not baby-friendly--they are rather stiff. Must wait until I go to a city and check out Joannes to get some soft flannel.

I did buy a fleece baby blanket and put a crocheted border around it. Now I know what the sewers in the past used a stiletto for--one must poke holes in the fabric with a sharp utensil. I used an ice pick. Took me 4 hours to get that first single crochet all around the edge.

Here's the picture. The tablerunner is 4 blocks long with the triangle ends, just didn't have that much room to lay it out.
Debs disappearring pinwheel tablerunner.jpg

The magazine with the pattern/technique is: Missouri Star Quilt Co, I think Jenny Doan is the main contributing quilt, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it! Thanks for sharing! Will have to check out the magazine.

Disappearing Pinwheel - I think the name of it fits!

The technique uses two 10" squares that you sew and cut according to their directions, which gives you a 12" or so pinwheel, then you cut again and have nine pieces that you rearrange into new block, the usual arrangement is Churn Dash or Shoofly. The quilt I'm now working on, I'm arranging into a Friendship Star variation.

I'm making receiving blankets for a new gb. I'm rather disappointed that the new flannel isn't very soft. Hopefully once it is washed it will feel better. I was taught in Home Ec sewing to pull a thread to find a straight edge of the fabric. I always do this with table clothes. The flannel was way off, so I'm glad I pulled a thread with it. Rather a pain, but worth it to get a nice square. I have hemmed one so far and am working on the crocheted border. Lots of pretty flannels; I picked a pattern with teal birds and one with pink buttons.

I have noticed that about the flannel (being rigid and not soft) and also, that much of it is not recommended for sleepwear as it is not flame retardant. With so much sleepwear being flannel, to me, it is surprising.

Your receiving blankets sound cute. Hope you share a photo when they are finished.

I have noticed that about the flannel (being rigid and not soft) and also, that much of it is not recommended for sleepwear as it is not flame retardant. With so much sleepwear being flannel, to me, it is surprising.

Your receiving blankets sound cute. Hope you share a photo when they are finished.
I think that is just a disclaimer, so sleepwear makers are not liable. I might look for some vintage flannel online. Or a flannel sheet and cut it up. Or a flannel nightgown... At $6.99 a yard for bolt flannel, there are bound to be some less expensive options. And it's 42" wide, not 45".

Thank you, both. I put my walking foot away this morning. Time to plan another one.

Just finished an 18 inch doll skirt this morning - crocheted. It came out cute the first time through. Only see one stitch in the directions that I am going to change - a ch 2 that is at the end of the first four rows to a dc. Now off to make a top for the doll as she looks cold.

dollskirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on doll clothes. These are for baby dolls. I used the decorative stitching feature on my machine for the first time--so easy! My goodness, just push a couple of buttons and voila! I wonder why I haven't tried it before? A stick in the mud, I fear... Haven't trimmed the ribbons on the pink outfit, as I need to wash it first.

flannel doll.jpg

red doll dress.jpg

Thank you, both. I put my walking foot away this morning. Time to plan another one.

Just finished an 18 inch doll skirt this morning - crocheted. It came out cute the first time through. Only see one stitch in the directions that I am going to change - a ch 2 that is at the end of the first four rows to a dc. Now off to make a top for the doll as she looks cold.

dollskirt.jpg
Very nice! Solid lavender for the top, or some contrast?

Finished the top in a boucle white yarn. It came out just as nice. Now working on some purple boots. I'm trying to use up a lot of my left over baby yarns. Will post photos when I have a couple more pieces done. Don't want to bore you with a bunch of posts.

Finished two receiving blankets. They take a long time. I have to use an ice pick to make the holes for the first round. I'm working on another one, but have finished these two. The bottom is ready-made fleece and the top is the flannel I bought. It is softer since I washed it, thank goodness. I used vintage crochet balls that I had. I don't know if they still make those colors any more. Hope she likes them for the new baby.

blankets.jpg

Latest posts

Back