Please share what you are working on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite things is repurposing vintage items. And since I sew a lot, pin cushions are on my mind. This one is made of a sugar bowl. I almost always use wool to stuff my cushions, as the natural lanolin is a rust preventative. The emery is made of vintage velvet ribbon and is stuffed with sand. Sugar bowls make great bases as they were designed to be stable.

sugar1.jpg

It is very pretty and certainly, as always, very creative of you! Love it!

Organized my yarn and selected some matching yarn to make a baby afghan. The pattern is for two colors but I am adjusting it to use 3 colors. So far so good.

BabyAfghan1.jpg

My dil brought me a stack of t shirts this weekend. Grandson is in Fencing, and she wants me to make a t shirt quilt with his fencing shirts. I'm nervous about this, as I hate to mess up one of the shirts. I will need a 12" template. I found some foil (sword) fabric that is cool. It is in shades of brown, so that may dictate my colors. Since it is in a stripe design, I am hoping it will work for the sashing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271541923956&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Some of the shirts have everyone's name, but that will make a larger than 12" square if I use it. Should I cut the 12", making sure his name is in the square? Not use it??

Some of the screen print is rather worn on a couple of shirts (must have been his favorites). Just use them, as that is part of the story??

Oh I like the fabric Marsha! If it were me I would definitely use and cut one (for sure) 12" square to mainly have his name in it. If there is a lot with every ones name on them cut each a little differently so all the names are included some where. Also the "worn" ones are absolutely part of the story! He'll look back and say "I wore that shirt all the time!" LOL!

I can't wait to see it!!

I would measure the one with the signatures and see if it could be worked in with all the signatures intact. If it could be the center piece surrounded by sashing and 12 inch squares, you may be able to put it in with all the signatures intact. I might select those that are worn for special placement as well if it could be worked out to use the t-shirt with all the signatures. If some signatures are by themselves, maybe they could be included in the quilt in a pieced square. Another thing I would consider is if his coach or best friends signatures are on there. Those may be important enough to include in a way that may place his signature not directly in the center.

I like the material you selected as sashing. It looks like a perfect choice for a grandson.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure he will greatly appreciate your creative talents. Good luck and hope you share when done.

I think what I need to do is cut all the logos and somehow get them all worked into a uniformly sized square. I have a busy week, so I'm waiting until my brain is free to begin, so I can think about what I'm doing. I ordered the interfacing on ebay; easier than trying to drive somewhere. This way it will just come in the mail. Thanks for the tips!

As you can see, I've been busily quilting. This thing is taking FOREVER. I have the stencil for the border and I've decided to do the waves on the border in my ecru thread that I've done everything else in. But the stars I'm going to do in a gold thread. Not metallic (as I've been told it doesn't hold up well), but gold colored with a nice sheen to it. I want those little stars to stand out. What do you think?

getting close 001.JPG

getting close 002.JPG

well, I'm not quite at the border but I'm getting there. Each white square with the "wind" takes about an hour to quilt. So I've got another couple of weeks yet. But I had ordered the stencil before I put on the border so I knew it had to be 4 inches wide. (What, me? pre plan something? surely not!! LOL) And, since I live out in the middle of nowhere, if I wanted any different color thread, I knew I'd have to order it in advance. When I go to Owensboro, KY (about an hour north of us) I always stop at Joanne's and get quilting thread. But their selection is quite limited. Today I ordered gold quilting thread and I'll use it for the stars in the border. Once I see it done, I can decide what to use on the waves in the border.

With it being summer and warm out, I'm not doing much crafting. But, I put this together the other day.necklace 7-19-14 - finished.jpg

And, I made these pillowcases for a friend a few weeks ago. Two pair: one pansy with purple trim, one purple with pansy trim:

Pillowcases - Debs July 2014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished!!

AbelsAfghan.jpg

I decided after cross stitching one heart that I didn't like the look so I removed the cross stitching and embroidered hearts in a simple chain stitch. Once again, doing it my way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hand sewing a border on a lap quilt today. One side is finished, Hopefully will complete the last of the binding tomorrow. I think I am done sewing for today. After the border is sewn on, I will be ready to machine quilt a little more in the border and then get out my little stand to start the hand quilting.

I'm planning a baby quilt. I have the material picked out. Now just to decide on a piecework pattern and find a matching material for the backing.

Loving that I am back into sewing, but something is telling me to start another crochet project and get going on my beading again. Also thinking of a table runner that I want to make to include beading. So much to think about.

Finished 3 crocheted ribbon yarn dress up scarves for the granddaughters for Christmas. Now I am enjoying some early morning hand quilting. Finding it a good way to start the day!

Latest posts

Back