Please help me!!! Dreamer is having a pelvic nerve lock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishing Dreamer and her family the very best!

Oak Ridge Equine Hospital in Edmond, OK is a modern, state of the art facility with top equine surgeons. I know she will recieve the best of care there.

We'll all be anxious to hear today's update.

Saw Theresa wave bye to the camera this morning on their way out. Have a safe trip and successful surgery. Continued prayers for you, Art & Dreamer.

Oh thank goodness! If there is any place that can help Dreamer it will be Oakridge. A few years ago they saved Dinah from a terrible pneumonia when she was just 50 days from foaling. They were not hopeful when we got her there but they went the extra mile including ordering special small inhalation equipment for her. The healthy colt she delivered a few weeks later is named Reflections Oakridge Star. And Dinah is well and healthy today and carrying a baby brother for 'Oakie'.

I have every hope for a full recovery for Dreamer. this place has the veterinary expertise and the equipment to get her through this and send her home well.

Lots of prayers for Dreamer and her family.

Charlotte

I'm so glad the xrays showed... good? news!
default_smile.png
Hope the trip goes smoothly and surgery is a total success, keeping the prayers going!

Jessi

I didn't get a chance to check back in last night to see what the vet said, but I see its great news!! Please have a safe trip and I will continue to pray for a great surgery and a quick recovery. God Bless,

We got back from Oakridge Equine Hospital. The trip was looooooooooooong, but we did not go over 48 mph so she would'nt bounce to much, she was a real trooper! It is a severely dislocated hip with some fracturing. The tendons and ligamnets are completely torn away from the ball. The ball is about 2-3" from the socket. The vet could not believe that she was even trying to walk! He said her pain tolerance was extremely high. She is being operated on now as I post this. I am crying for her as she will wake up and not know where she is and she will be scared...When we put her in her stall and turned to leave she started to scream...Broke my heart. This is a 19,000 SQ Ft building under roof. I could her her as we were walking out the door. That was it, back in I went and sat down next to her and she calmed down and put her head in my lap and took a nap. I tried to leave again and she started to scream again. The vet said that I needed to just go and she would be fine...Then I was screaming and balling all the way to the truck! UGH!!!!!!!! The vet called and said she calmed down after 15 mins. LOOOOOOOOOOOOG ride home, as Art and I were both in tears. But we know that she is getting the best possible care. This is what the surgery will consist of.. Remove the ball, put some kind of donor cartilidge and mesh screen in the socket for the bone to fuse and connect to. SHe will be there for 5-10 days, depending on her progress. She will need 4-6 months physical therapy 2x a day to start. And approx. 1 yr to heal. We are dedicated to her, so she will be almost as good as new in a yr. I miss her................................ Here is her x-ray. I will try to explain it....I am not sure in porportion with the ball where it is exactly, but it is under the pelvic bone. When you look at the x-ray, it was taken from underneath her at an angle.

Dreamerdislocatedhip04-15-08002.jpg

What a day for all of you! It sounds like she is getting fantastic care!!

We have been thinking about you though out and I have been following all of your news even as we ran fluids on our mare last night. You all have been doing an incredible job with this sweet mare, and it's wonderful that she's so strong and vital!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Thinking more good thoughts for you!!
default_aktion033.gif

Whit and the crew

OMG Theresa hang in there it will be harder for you right now than for Dreamer as they will sedate her but you have only your thoughts. Continued prayers for full recovery and that you have your girl back home with you and Art soon. The 3 of you have surely tied up our heartstrings the first thing my hubby said when he got home tonight was any update on Dreamer. You have all of us on the edge of our seats praying that all goes well.

I've been holding my breathe the entire time this has been unfolding.

Give her big kisses, she'll need it.
default_wub.png

xox Leonie xox

[SIZE=10pt]Theresa-[/SIZE]

Been thinking about you, Art and Dreamer all day. Just told my husband I had to go check for an update. I'm sure it won't be long and she will be at home taking naps with her head in your lap.

You need to get some rest now as you're going to have to be really healthy and rested when she comes home. It sounds like she is getting super care. Now she is really on the road to recovery.

Take care and stay strong!! Hugs to you - and give Dreamer one when you go see her. I'll be waiting for the next update saying she is out of surgery and all is well.

Barbie

default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
The vet just called,,,I am at my witts end sitting here. The staff of surgeons had a conference about her, they decieded to wait to do the surgery..and he wquld call me tomorrow and let me know what course of action they are going to take. I am so numb that I am not sure of even what he said...But there are some complications with her. Something about seeing something in her bone in one of the xrays. :Cold-Scared :Cold-Scared
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_ohnoes.jpg
I just can't stand this........... I am going to go to her stall and I don't know what I will do, but I feel the need to be there..

Oh Theresa I am so sorry you are stressed!
default_no.gif

I hope they just need to talk about it as it might be different than they first thought, but still fixable with surgery...

Yes I would also go into her stall where she was and you will feel closer to her..

Ok I am gonna be on pins and needles waiting til tomorrow to hear what they say...

Please let us know...

Thanks and BIG (((HUGS))) to you both....
default_wub.png

Missy

I'm sorry to hear about the curve ball they threw you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and sending my prayers. I hope it's just a small change in tactics for her surgery. I love the photos you posted...she is very beautiful and her story made me cry happy tears. You guys are meant to be...this has to be a happy ending!!!! I'm definitely pulling for you guys.

HI Theresa,

I'm really thinking they probably want to sleep on it, which is a good thing if there's any question at all on how to proceed . We're all here praying for Dreamer, you, Art and the rest of Rockin R Ranch! Postiive thoughts are strong here. Keep your spirits up!
default_biggrin.png

Sue

Theresa,

Prayers for the surgeons/doctors to come up with the best treatment plan for Dreamer. I have followed this thread all the way and am pulling for her too! Hang in there, this is so tough on you I know.

We are all still pulling for you and praying for a full recovery....Hang in there

Hopefully this is not a bad thing and they just want to be sure of the best course of action Hang in we are all saying our prayers for you Art and Dreamer and the surgeons who are caring for her. Every one has said they are the best and Im sure they want to be SURE that this is the best thing for Dreamer.

Extra prayers for you all tonight. Try to sleep. Normally, I never drink, but I think just for tonight, I would have a little bit of hard liquor and go to sleep. God bless you all!

Robin

Latest posts

Back