PlayTime Minis - 2014 Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lori, what a sad story. It's so hard to lose those foals.

We had one day of good weather and now we're headed back into the below zero stuff and I think Madeline is close. My farrier was here yesterday and she did the honor of doing a huge, squishy poop on him. She's always been a polite lady and that was a first so I'm taking it as a sign. I'll take photos today.

I'm so ready for warmer weather.

Those hip-locks are the hardest to save. Sorry you couldn't win that one.

Looking forward to pictures of our 'polite' lady!

So sorry you lost that little foal Lori, so very sad.

Looking forward to those pictures.
default_yes.gif

Here are some photos from today. She's not as clean as she would be in warmer weather but it's too cold to be doing any washing at the moment.

2014january18thmadeline 001.JPG

2014january18thmadeline 002.JPG

2014january18thmadeline 003.JPG

2014january18thmadeline 005.JPG

That's it. She's doing really well.

No baby thank goodness. We had a terrible cold night last night so just in case the baby should decide to arrive, I had a very special horse guest in the in law suite attached to my house :) Madeline was content, I didn't worry and no baby arrived.
default_yes.gif
I'm prepared but I still think she has a while to go or at least I hope so.

Oh how cool she had her own suite...how great to have a place attached to your house to watch during such a cold time

Foaling in luxury ..........ahhhh

Hoping for better weather for you soon

Well, it's good to be married to a builder and he built the in law suite for in laws and calling it a suite is making it sound fancier than it is because it's really a modest living quarters when you don't want your in laws in the house with you when they visit but it's highly practical for an expectant mare who is only 28" and very calm. 30 below without the wind chill tonight so she's bunking with us again. Problem is no end to this below zero stuff in sight so I'm hoping baby holds off for a long time. I can't get over how much super cold weather we're having this year.

I'll keep you updated but no news is good news.

Our first day above zero in a long while!! Unfortunately we are headed right back to extremely cold weather in another day. Here's the update photos. Any thoughts? I think she's looking almost ready but could really use your input.

2014january25thmadeline 003.JPG

She wasn't standing square in this photo but I really think the baby has dropped and is in position as she's no longer slab sided.

2014january25thmadeline 002.JPG

2014january25thmadeline 004.JPG

Two different views of down below.

2014january25thmadeline 005.JPG

2014january25thmadeline 007.JPG

I was going to let her stay in the barn tonight as it's warmer today and she's happier there with her buddies but if you think she's ready to go, I'll keep her in the house. I can stay in the barn with her and I do have a halter monitor for her as well.

Just could use your advice if you think she is looking like she's ready to go or she has more time. I'm hoping she holds off for another month.

Sara, is her udder real tight and warm to the touch? If so, then her udder is looking good. Can you test her milk? I used the Foal Time test strips and have had really good luck with them. Her hoo-ha doesn't look as puffy as I would think it would, but then, all mares are different and can fool you. Guess I'm really not much help, huh? LOL

Pam, no not real tight and warm as of last night but will feel it again. I haven't used the test strips but I'll get some and try that. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Sara we have used pool test strips from walmart they also work really good.

Please don't stay in the barn in this weather!!! especially when you can bring her in

Her udder doesn't look ready to me...but they can certainly fool you with that..

any looseness when you lift her tail. With all the winter hair sometimes you don't notice the butt sinking

in a bit.

I can bring her in and was planning to when we went below zero again but was going to let her enjoy her friends tonight but not a problem to have her in the house. No looseness when I lift her tail and glad udder doesn't look ready to you. I really don't want her to foal yet.

I think she's got a little time yet, but you know these mares....we must watch for the sneaky ones!

Oh, Diane, I hope you are right and I hope she's not a sneak. Our weather is supposed to be moderating and I really just want her to hold off until we are out of the below zero stuff. I'll do more pictures this week. Thanks!!!

Went out to do the nail/ring test today and it announced Madeline is having a BOY!!! So I'm shopping for blue instead of pink. At this point, I just want healthy and happy but after a string of fillies last year, I'm due for a colt and very excited about it.

If anyone knows the origins of the nail test, I'd love to learn more. It also told me my non pregnant mares weren't pregnant so that was a relief. Wouldn't want to know they were sneaking out of the barn last spring to visit another barn.

Last edited by a moderator:
No foal for Madeline thank goodnes and we're still in waiting mode. I have my final mares to add to the foaling line up this year so introducing

Diamond H Rebel's Foxy Lady - Clorox is a Sid Rebel granddaughter and is bred to Reeces Geneses. Foal is due in August and vet said it's a filly. I'll be keeping this baby for sure as I want a Geneses foal.

_horse1_3086.jpg

And lastly is Reeces Kalico Hawk, daughter of 4Gs Little Alfalfas Pleasure. She's bred to HSF Orion Star for a summer foal.

_horse1_3079 (1).jpg

And the other news I have is Wish is coming home next month!!! Angel is ready to be weaned and is staying at the show barn but Wish is making her way home.

Other than that it's still below zero here but we're surviving. Hope all the nannies are doing well and can't wait to see everyone's babies!

Sara I love your line up! I knew when I saw Kristina post the SOLD ad for the little grulla mare that you bought her, just had a gut feeling. Super excited to see what these lovely mares give you. My geneses filly is the sweetest thing ever, and only 25" tall.

Back