Pinto VR Paint

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I have so much trouble telling the difference between Paint and Pinto. Can someone help me out.

Also what is the difference between Sorrel and Chestnut. I get confused there to.

Thanks,

Leeana

Ok, I know some people are not going to agree with me here, but paint and pinto are the same. Yes, there is a registry now called the American Paint Horse Association that has tried to make the term Paint apply only to horses registered with that registry. However, the term was around long before the registry and there is also one called the American Paint Pony Registry (which would obviously make ponies registered with them paints too, right?). So, yeah, paint and pinto both refer to horses with any paint/pinto patterns.

Chestnut and sorrel are basically the same too. A lot of it depends on what breed/discipline you are involved with. For example, Quarter Horses are almost exclusively sorrel (there are liver chestnut ones though) and Arabs and Thoroughbreds are called chestnut.

pinto is a color, any breed or mix ....paint is a breed registry, parents must be registered paints or quarter horses.

imho sorrel is a lighter red....while chestnut is darker red...kind of brownish red.

hope that helps

tracy

thanks that helps allot.

Ive seen pics of ppl calling horses sorrel that i had seen called chestnut before. I've just been confused. So lemme see if i get this straight.

Pinto is a unregistered horse and a color. Paint is the breed.

Sorrel is a light red and Chestnut is Darker. OK got it.

Thanks

Leeana

LoveCoco said:
thanks that helps allot.
Ive seen pics of ppl calling horses sorrel that i had seen called chestnut before.  I've just been confused.  So lemme see if i get this straight.

Pinto is a unregistered horse and a color.  Paint is the breed.

Sorrel is a light red and Chestnut is Darker.  OK got it.

Thanks

Leeana

485653[/snapback]

Leeana,

I'll add to your confusion, or possibly clear it up a little more...

Paint is a breed, specifically the American Paint Horse Association (APHA), they only accept Paints, AQHA and Thoroughbred horses for registration purposes (one parent must be APHA registered). If a horse from these crosses doesn't produce color, then the foal is only eligible for breeding stock division.

Pinto refers to markings and is also a color registry. Horses meeting the color requirements can be registered with the Pinto Registry (don't know the exact name). Without capitalization, as in pinto and paint, I think these terms are pretty much interchangeable, but once capitalized, then refers to the respective registries.

Sorrel and Chestnut are both red-based colors. Distinguishing the two depends on who you talk to. As someone else mentions stock horses are usually called sorrel and the Arabians, thoroughbred, etc horses are usually called chestnut. I've always considered the sorrels to be on the lighter end of the red spectrum with mane/tails either the same color or lighter than the body; and chestnuts to be at the darker end of the red spectrum with mane/tails either the same color or darker than the body.

Pinto is PtHA - Pinto Horse Association

I agree, I've always thought of sorrel as lighter than chestnut. But I've never liked how interchangable they were, I wish it was more definitive.

chandab said:
...sorrels to be on the lighter end of the red spectrum with mane/tails either the same color or lighter than the body......chestnuts to be at the darker end of the red spectrum with mane/tails either the same color or darker than the body.
What a perfect way to describe my thoughts! I hope I can remember that...

Basically, they ARE the same...but I like the above description much better.

Heidi

Here are two websites that should help:

American Paint Horse

Pinto Horse Association

And a paragraph from the PtHA website:

[SIZE=14pt]What is the difference between Pintos and Paints? [/SIZE]

Of the questions posed to the PtHA, this is invariably the most frequently asked. Simply put: The Paint Horse (registered by the APHA) is limited to horses of documented and registered Paint, Quarter Horse, or Thoroughbred breeding. The difference in eligibility between the two registries has little to do with color or pattern; only bloodlines. While most Paints can be double registered as Stock or Hunter type Pintos, PtHA also allows for the registration of miniature horses, ponies, and horses derived from other breed crosses, such as Arabian, Morgan, Saddlebred, and Tennessee Walking Horse, to name but a few.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

I don't know if this will help or add to the confusion but here is my two cents

he is a sorrel

june2005.jpg

and she is registered as a chestnut..oh and also, a pinto

babybandpoca.jpg

The way sorrel/chestnut was explained to us ad nauseum in Equine Genetics was thus:

SORREL - any solid "brown" horse with a red tint - no matter how dark or light. Think of rust... copper... burnt sienna.

CHESTNUT - any solid "brown" horse with a brown tint... no matter how dark or light. Think chocolate... liver... coffee or tea with milk in it...

They are from the same base - just different versions of it.

In the stock horse breeds (QH, Paint, Appaloosa) ... Sorrel is used to differentiate the two... in most other breeds, Chestnut refers to any solid "brown/red" colour.

You will never see an Arabian, Warmblood or Thoroughbred referred to as sorrel.

The colour of mane and tail are not the determining factor - but show the modifiers - flaxen, pangare, alazan, tostado etc.

ETA: Technically the mini mare in the photo above would be a sorrel if she was registered AQHA.
wink.gif

So for AQHA... liver chestnut....

chestnut.jpg

Sorrel...

sorrel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If we were going to use paint only for registered animals then how are we going to describe Red + Cream, which everyone calls Palomino?? Palominos have had a Society foe ages but that, to my knowledge , has never precluded anyone calling , as far as I can see, just about anything "palomino" including animals with blue eyes, which are not eligible for registration. So , using that maxim as a yardstick, anything with mixed pattern, ie not solid coloured, is paint or pinto- your choice. FYI I would not call that horse a Sorrel, nor the mare a pinto!!

Now you've gone and done it. Hit on one of my sensitive spots. As a long time breeder of paints and pintos I am a little touchy about interchanging the terms. As noted before by posting the difference listed by the registries they are NOT interchangable. Paint registry was started basically as a Quarter Horse with excess white. Pintos can be any breed with acceptable color patterns.

Sorry Rabbitzfizz, but palomino is a color registry the same as pinto. Paint, as specified, is a documented bloodline registry. It would be like calling a Clydesdale a mini because they share the sabino color pattern.

Okay, I will get off my soapbox now. Let the flames begin.

To me, the pinto / paint thing is easy. Pinto is the color pattern, but Paint is the breed. So, paints are pintos (the non-breeding stock ones anyway) but not all pintos are paints
laugh.gif

Just don't ask me about patterns. It's been explained to me by people who are very knowledgable but it just doesn't get into my head! But, I like solids better anyhow
biggrin.gif

And, I'm not real sure on the sorrel vs. chestnut, but have heard really they are interchangable to many people.

wcr said:
Now you've gone and done it.  Hit on one of my sensitive spots.  As a long time breeder of paints and pintos I am a little touchy about interchanging the terms.  As noted before by posting the difference listed by the registries they are NOT interchangable.  Paint registry was started basically as a Quarter Horse with excess white.  Pintos can be any breed with acceptable color patterns.
Sorry Rabbitzfizz, but palomino is a color registry the same as pinto.  Paint, as specified, is a documented bloodline registry.  It would be like calling a Clydesdale a mini because they share the sabino color pattern.

Okay, I will get off my soapbox now.  Let the flames begin.

485826[/snapback]

Yep what she said
smile.gif

Also have to add that many minis being called sorrel or chestnut are truly silver bays of one shade or another

Ive always called anything that is "red" with a lighter mane and tail sorrel

And anything that is "red" with the same color or darker mane and tail chestnut.

To me sorrel is more orange and chesnut is more red - but thats just the way I see it, really they are not much different. I also think it has to do with the breed, most call Quarter horses sorrel (Or QH people say sorrel) Where as they call Arabians chestnut (Or Arab people call horses chestnut) But basicley its the same thing.

Pinto - color

Paint - APHA breed

Darn, I don't have a picture on my computer... I had an AQHA mare registered as Chestnut (deep red with same colored mane/tail) and I still own her BS APHA daughter who is registered as sorrel (medium red with slightly lighter mane/tail). I think the AQHA color chart does show both sorrel and chestnut.

Latest posts

Back