Photosensitivity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I have a little mare who suddenly developed this. Aside from keeping her out of the sun, is there anything else that helps? Any particular feeds/hay/plants that seem to cause the problem? My only other experience with it was an Arabian gelding years ago. He had to stay indoors during the day.

My vet book is very old, so the treatment probably not upto par with current recommendations, but one thing it mentions is anti-histamines (along with a completely dark stall). If she has true photosensitization, she'll need to see a vet as it often has anaphylactic shock reactions with it.

When I was in college a friend had a mare get a severe case of it, and she had to be put down (more due to incompetent vet, vet on call was a cattle vet and had no clue about horses). But this mare and her gelding, the photosensitization was caused by incorrectly put up red clover hay. Other plants are also known to cause it, but I don't know if horses would eat them, my vet book also lists buckwheat, not sure what else might.

Becky, do you have a sec. to explain the symptoms of this? I have a little mare that Ive had tons of tests done on w/no answers to anything.Will explain later. Did your vet diagnose this? Thanks

Heidi

Thanks for that link, Michelle. Fortunately, we don't have that type of clover growing here in central Oklahoma. There's obviously something else that has caused this little mare to become photosensitive.

LittleRibbie - this mare came in from the pasture with a very sunburned, peeling, painful face a couple of days ago. She has a pink skinned bald face. No other signs of any distress. No, my vet hasn't seen her.

I'm treating her with Panalog ointment and also some zinc oxide A & D ointment. Keeping her out of the sun.

Dream, thanks for the link, I was actually checking that site out after I read Becky's post.

None of that clover here either but did see lots of other plants that Ive been checking out to see if they are here in Fl. Plants that contain pyrrolizidine alkaloid...fiddleneck,rattle box,tansy ragwort and even the bella moth.

I dont think this is what my mare has as she isnt sunburned but just really hates being outside during the day. Will go out of her way to stay in the darkest area of her stall or if she isnt in her stall she'll go find the nearest tree...very strange...hopefully the cooler weather will bring her out of this.

Becky,I wish your little girl well and hopefully you can get to the bottom of what caused/causing this....the "unknown" is so frustrating

I had a burro that developed this two years ago. The vet felt it was from eating something that was toxic to her. She had horrible sunburn and severe scratches on all four legs. I know I treated it with an ointment (don't remember the kind), clipping the affected part of the legs, and removing her from the sun. We put her in a covered pen until she was completely healed and then she was under cover during the day. Months later we put her back out to pasture, but a different one. I have had other burros and minis in the one she got sick in and they have been fine. She has also been fine ever since. She cleared up quickly with treatment and removal from the sun.

Good luck!

Becky, we had an outside mare here a few years ago. She was here all summer. She was a grayed out pinto, so totally white. About a week before she was due to go home, she came in from the pasture one evening with her back all sunburned and raw. We took her to our vet, and he found more spots UNDER her mane! Doc said it was an allergic reaction to something. He gave me some meds to give her. Sorry I can't remember what it was. And some ointment to put on the sores. We kept her in a completely shaded lot. Never did know what caused it, but her owners said she cleared right up and never had another problem!

Is it possible that they have been exposed to one of the Hogweeds or Cow Parsley? They are common here in the Pacific Northwest. I think they can grow in almost any area. They can cause animals to be photosensitive. I found photos of the plants and symptoms thru Mr. Google.

Several years ago The Northwest had a major issue with a type of tent caterpillar in some areas. I remember some people saying that their animals had a reaction to the toxin.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back