Photos of your harness(es)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LGahr, the defining items as to what you should purchase are:

1. What type of driving will you be doing? Show ring? CDE? Parade and/or Pleasure?

2. What type of cart are you using?

3. What price range are you comfortable with?

We can probably make some recommendations based on your answers.

LGahr, the defining items as to what you should purchase are:

1. What type of driving will you be doing? Show ring? CDE? Parade and/or Pleasure?

2. What type of cart are you using?

3. What price range are you comfortable with?

We can probably make some recommendations based on your answers.

Thank you for responding. This is really the hardest part of my little beginnings. My horse was trained by an excellent driver/trainer and driven by a VERY reputable trainer from KY, so I am really working at doing this right. I hope to show towards the end of the season if I am capable of doing a respectable job. I am told the horse has "excellent hock action" -- extremely animated, but not being familiar with driving classes (there have been no shows to attend since I became interested) I cannot give you an intelligent answer.

My price range, of course, is conservative because I know I will have to invest in a high-dollar harness once I get on solid footing with my driving. I have plenty of room to drive but live in a somewhat rolling area of Ohio. No parades--am not the type to do that, but I hope working and learning will be pure pleasure! This has become a real family project thanks to my darling daughter. By spring we should have 3 ponies and carts in the works so the whole family can enjoy them.

Oh yes, the cart--gotta buy one of those too. I will start with an easy entry mini cart from Fairhaven in Millersburg. Nice and light and durable. My daughter has a pony-sized cart and we have been very happy with it. If I become skilled enough to venture into the ring I will buy a Houghton simply because they are manufactured nearby and I can pick it up and save on shipping costs. Model number of the cart they recommend for a mini the size of Dusty is #22. This cart will set me back at least 1500; maybe $1800.00, depending on options. They have a good supply and wait time is not an issue so I am not expecting to purchase a show cart until July. I do need something to use right now that fits my horse.

I don't mean to be vague. I just don't have specific answers. I have to start somewhere but so many options I am overwhelmed.

So, now you have my little beginings in a nutshell. Thanks for your interest!

Well based on your description, you really need to get a fine harness to go with your beautiful Houghton. You will not use breeching in the show ring.

I have one of each of these show harnesses:

http://www.miniexpress.com/mxproduct.asp?intProdID=269

http://www.kee-port.com/harness.htm

Both of them are just gorgeous and perfect for the show ring. One thing I would recommend on the miniexpress harness is that you order it with wrap straps. This is based on a recommendation from my trainer, Patty Cloke. She showed me the shafts of a cart that had been using the french tugs that that harness comes with, and the patent was basically rubbed right away.

When I went to buy my next harness, Patty recommended that Deluxe Show Harness from Estate Horse Supply. I think if I were only going to have one harness and I was interested in showing, I would get that one. I think it will be slightly more durable that the MiniExpress one (although I LOVE the gold piping on my MiniExpress harness! it's gorgeous!)

The Mini Express one comes with both sidecheck and overcheck. The Estate Horse Supply one you will have to select one or the other. Most show people do use overchecks. I am not overly fond of them, but that is what Patty recommended for both of my driving mares and they are going very well in them.

I also have one of these harnesses:

http://www.miniexpress.com/mxproduct.asp?intProdID=266

and it is totally fine for most things, even local showing. You would probably want to order a cavesson that is separate. For CDE driving, I ordered one of these breastcollars (and the neckstrap) for Ally, which I use with the inexpensive harness in the last link: http://www.thecarriagehouse.com/VBreastCollar.htm

That is what she is wearing in these photos:

CrossCountry1.jpg

CrossCountry2.jpg

Here is that same harness with its original breastcollar:

driving3.jpg

I hope that helps you out a little bit.

Please don't let this thread die out....I have been reading and studying and researching and visiting every site I can find. I have looked at the pictures until I am cross-eyed. I think the answer for us, "beginners", is a betathan harness with removable breeching---of course, can't find such a harness. Anyone have any suggestions?

Am just itching to order something but no concept what or where.......

:no:
I have tons of links but have to get on my computer to send you the links.

So off the top of my head for the Bet...harness..

Camptown Harness

Smuckers

Zilco

The Carriage house

Chillium (spell?)

Ozark mountain..

There are just so many please you can get good wash n wear harness's at.

Clickmini, I am curious, why do you not use the false martingale with deep V breastcollar? The piece that should go from the D ring on the breast collar to the girth. When I was harness shopping all the CDE and other people I talked too that had used the deep V told me to make sure I use the fasle martingale.

I'm also crosseyed and confused :new_shocked:

(Like mother like daughter :bgrin )

The Harness I have been using is Betathane made by Fairview harness. I have been very happy with it so far. (which doesn't say much, I new to driving) And I have nothing else to compare it too.

I don't think the breeching is removable, so that would rule it out as a show harness. Correct?

And it is more of a matte finish not shiny. ( Shiny or patent is bio, and dull or matte finish is beta, Right??)

For the show ring should it be the shiny finish?

We have access to a few different harness makers that we're going to talk to but not sure what I need to know and ask. I'm sure they would make anything we wanted just not sure what we want.

I know we want something we can use for driving around the farm too so I feel a breeching (removable) is a must since the land is rolling.

We are going to take a day soon and go visit some Amish harness shops and try to see some of the differences.

So any help on - what to watch for, what questions to ask, and/or what add-ons we need to look for or ask about, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for your time and patience.

Here's a the best pic I have so far of the harness I've been using.

harnesspic.jpg

This was a small pony harness, It does look bulky I guess.

I must add that this harness was a good price starting at $150. - for mini and $170 - for small pony.

Thanks again!!

Mini Luver..

The top bridle is a Smuckers and yes you can get it mini size. The bottom harness is more a traditional Roadster type with Square blinkers and it also comes in mini from Dave Lasalle. I love the round blinkers (coming from my Hackney background) and if I remember correctly you can get a round blinker bridle from Lasalle in mini size.

FYI..round blinkers = side check and square blinkers = overcheck ..me and my traditions LOL

Kim
hey I liek sidecheck so itll go perfect with the round blinders I want AHA! I can't find the mini bridle that you showed on the smuckers site?

Back