Hello! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zexious

Reaction score
Hi friends!

I'm a lifelong equestrian and corporate sellout currently living in Texas ^^ I have a background in Hunter/Jumpers, but took the past handful of years off after a non-horse related injury. I still own my high school/undergrad competition horse (a retired hunt-type Paint named Gator <3), and am easing back, this time into the world of Eventing.
My trainer is away for the next handful of months, and my current lease kind of fell through after some soundness issues ):
I've been thinking pretty seriously about purchasing a mini in the meantime. This would be something I'm very new to, and I'd love to hear more about your experiences! For those of you who board your minis, how much does it cost? Are the rates the same as their full sized counterparts? Where are the best places to shop? What do you enjoy doing with your minis?

Really appreciate all of your knowledge and insight! <3

Welcome to the forum! There is an amazing depth of activities that forum members take part in, from very formal to ultra casual - think pajamas and snow boots. 🤣

I started out hunter/jumper/dressage in the past century 🤪 Over time, however, moved fully into the mini horse world and love it. It’s been a quiet year here for family reasons, but still enjoy their company and taking walks.

I have shown (in hand hunter/jumper, showmanship, halter, etc) driven and walked miles with them. Even though we have our own barn and land, at one time I boarded DD to up our driving and enjoy the barn facilities and camaraderie. Board was the same price as for a full size horse and vet/farrier fees also remain the same.

Last year, I enjoyed working DD in the surcingle in simple patterns and transitions. I’ve thought about purchasing the signage for dressage tests, but then figure I could paint up my own. DD is not critical! 😂

Happy exploring!

Welcome @Zexious. Hopefully your injury has healed well and you're able to be back to full mobility.
I come from the land of dressage and Warmblood/Arab horses which was all lovely until someone let me drive a standard donkey. That was it. I bought the donkey, and then a mini donkey to train (that was my gateway drug...) life changed, both donkeys sold and I immediately felt something major missing in my life. I bought my second mini donkey within months of selling the first, and we drive and show in hand and all sorts of silliness.
My daughter (12 at the time, now 14) decided she wanted to try training a miniature horse, so we bought one from the next province over (I'm in Alberta, Canada) for $50 and my daughter trained her to harness and cart in the matter of a few days. That pony now does site visits to care centres, is a driving machine, and also shows in hand. We haven't found anything that pony says no to.
Now, I still have my big, fancy horses, but I can not see myself ever not having littles in my life. This donkey will probably be my retirement animal. They are addictive and an absolute riot! If you like eventing, check into CDE.

HI Zexious, I had big horses forever. When they pasted at age 30 and 32, I was done with horses. Then, I retired and started volunteering at a exotic ranch which had mini horses and donkeys, my first encounter with minis. I was hooked. Now I have my 2 mini horses and 1 mini donkey. They are my emotional support, my calm, my happy place. Friends come over, I show them off, introduce kids or whoever wants to learn about them. We go on walks together in my neighborhood.
I'm glad that you are feeling better from your accident. You will enjoy mini so much🥰

Latest posts

Back