Pinworm Treatment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been pretty good so far, thank you! They got a proper dose of the suspension and I saw some dead pinworms in their manure the next day. The vet came out a few days ago and we discussed the negative fecal test, she was glad I started the pyrantel for the pinworms and had no other concerns. I feel like we are on the right track now!

It's been pretty good so far, thank you! They got a proper dose of the suspension and I saw some dead pinworms in their manure the next day. The vet came out a few days ago and we discussed the negative fecal test, she was glad I started the pyrantel for the pinworms and had no other concerns. I feel like we are on the right track now!
Whoo hooo! Hopefully that is the end of those little monsters. Your little horses are really going to bloom now.

All has been well on the pinworm front until yesterday evening, one of the boys had a single incident of diarrhea with a single pinworm in it. I was planning to do a second dose of the pyrantel at 4 weeks which would be next week. Should I dose now since it looks like the lifecycle is starting again, or stick to status quo?

All has been well on the pinworm front until yesterday evening, one of the boys had a single incident of diarrhea with a single pinworm in it. I was planning to do a second dose of the pyrantel at 4 weeks which would be next week. Should I dose now since it looks like the lifecycle is starting again, or stick to status quo?
Could just be shed. I'd wait till next week. But maybe keep up with the vaseline. I used Aloe vera for diarrhea with very good results. Just 1/4 cup on their hay or feed. It's just in the pharmacy at Walmart.
Those pests have to be the absolute worst to eradicate!
Otherwise, how are they doing? Looking much better, I'm sure!

Thank you as always Marsha! I'm giving a 1/4 cup Aloe Vera too, but I've added a little more along with pre/pro biotics to soothe their bellies today. These worms are keeping me on my toes for sure, but the liquid suspension has been a lifesaver so I don't have to traumatize these babies with frequent worming.
They are doing wonderful, shedding out beautifully except one is hanging onto his belly hair! I am so looking forward to spending these warm months with them.

Thank you as always Marsha! I'm giving a 1/4 cup Aloe Vera too, but I've added a little more along with pre/pro biotics to soothe their bellies today. These worms are keeping me on my toes for sure, but the liquid suspension has been a lifesaver so I don't have to traumatize these babies with frequent worming.
They are doing wonderful, shedding out beautifully except one is hanging onto his belly hair! I am so looking forward to spending these warm months with them.
How are they doing? Any recent photos?

The boys have been doing very well, they got their second dose of pyrantel a couple weeks ago and there were no sheds after that dose. I have hope these buggers are a thing of the past but I'm still planning on doing some more doses just in case. At what point do you think I'd be safe to stop dosing them?

Here's a recent photo of them self-desensitizing on a $3 kids mat I picked up at a yard sale. I did throw a couple hay pellets on there to encourage their curiosity but they had no problems walking over the strange squishy surface.

Attachments

• 20230710_150553.jpg
    20230710_150553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
The boys have been doing very well, they got their second dose of pyrantel a couple weeks ago and there were no sheds after that dose. I have hope these buggers are a thing of the past but I'm still planning on doing some more doses just in case. At what point do you think I'd be safe to stop dosing them?

Here's a recent photo of them self-desensitizing on a $3 kids mat I picked up at a yard sale. I did throw a couple hay pellets on there to encourage their curiosity but they had no problems walking over the strange squishy surface.
Oh, they are coming along so well! And having some fun.
I would not dose any more for awhile, unless your vet recommends it. Just be vigilant.

I ended up having to put my horse on a daily wormer for a month. I never saw any again after that. That was something I did not want to do, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Every time I went into the vet, and I would say "they're back", he would get thoughtful, call the state vet, look in his books... He asked me to look under the microscope at some suspicious seed-thing I found in the manure; "does that look like eggs?" It even looked like eggs to me. That little seed-thing had numerous eggs in it. (Another vet I showed it to said it was just a seed of some kind, though I had never seen such a seed on our property.) So we did the daily wormer and it worked.

Maybe your guys are okay now!

Thank you Marsha, I'll hold off on dosing unless the pinworms decide to show their faces again. I'm very glad we seemed to have caught the problem at the right time. There's nothing like seeing a fresh pile of manure absolutely crawling with worms! I'm still keeping a close eye on their manure and haven't seen anything abnormal yet - I may have to invest in a microscope just in case I find anything suspicious.

Thank you Marsha, I'll hold off on dosing unless the pinworms decide to show their faces again. I'm very glad we seemed to have caught the problem at the right time. There's nothing like seeing a fresh pile of manure absolutely crawling with worms! I'm still keeping a close eye on their manure and haven't seen anything abnormal yet - I may have to invest in a microscope just in case I find anything suspicious.
Hope you have been successful!
A pile of manure with NOTHING crawling is the best sight!

Latest posts

Back