Photos of your harness(es)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leia, Where does a person order the Capmptown Sport/ Chimacum Sort Harness from? any idea of price? Tahnks, Mary

Shari, I've got a Freedom Collar here right now and Kody's been wearing it. I posted pictures on the Whiteman's Winter Drive thread, or at least I thought I did.
default_wacko.png
: I've been propping the Camptown Harness ever since they came out so for the five millionth time: They are HECKA better than Zilco for the minis! Go buy one right now, you silly girl!
default_yes.gif
: I've told Susanne the same thing if she doesn't want to drive breed shows. If she does she needs to go leather like the Ozark Mtn. carriage harness, but the Camptown Sport/Chimacum Sport Harness (same thing) is by far the most comfortable and well-designed synthetic harness available for the minis. :aktion033:

Also, I like the look of the Mini Express theraputic pad Wiccanz has. That's what I wanted but when I got my waffle pads from Smucker's thinking they were the same they were WAY oversized. I may have to go shopping again....

Leia

Now you guys...I had hoped this would help me finalize my decision, not make it more difficult!

Shari, when you're feeling up to it, I'm itching to come visit (now wait...that makes me sound contagious...). Perhaps I could harness Maggie so that you could at least see her in her new breast collar -- that may be just the healing energy you need!

Question about Lutke Harness..

As a tradionalist who loves rolled leather (aka Freedman Harness) which is mucho $$ but well worth it (one backpad is over 50 yrs old and I still show in it)...I am used to brass fittings. I notice that Lutke embroiders his stuff (not for me thanks). Would there be such a beast as Lutke harness with real brass fittings (ie browband is patent with brass chain overlay, plain blinkers (or a nice tiny brass monogram). All the trim (if a different color) is done in patent. I just think embroidery is a cheap route to use on expensive harness (Lutke is not cheap)....soo my question is, can I get it traditional per se??

Here is a picture of a round blinker bridle with brass chain brow band

520bridleb.jpg

And a Lasalle harness done in Road pony style (seems to be the type mini horses wear the most of)

lasalleharness.jpg

Thanks!

Kim
But can we get that harness or Bridle for Minis? I LOVE it.
default_wub.png
:

Now you guys...I had hoped this would help me finalize my decision, not make it more difficult!

Shari, when you're feeling up to it, I'm itching to come visit (now wait...that makes me sound contagious...). Perhaps I could harness Maggie so that you could at least see her in her new breast collar -- that may be just the healing energy you need!
You are welcome to come and visit, Just about any day, when it isn't snowing and raining. :bgrin Well, if you want to do things outside. But you are welcome any time.

Am waiting on the Farrier to get the horses feet done and the PT people to show up some time. They keep having to change their appointments because of this silly weather.

Price wise the Camptown Harness is the same price as the mini horsed sized Zilco..and as much as I hate to say it...think the Camptown Harness is the better one because it is really made for mini's. The Zilco does not fit the smaller minis as well. Maggie is a smidge over 34" if measured at the height of her tall withers.

Both have gig saddles instead of flat pads, which makes it more comfortable to the mini's.

But if all you can afford is a sturdy starter harness... talk with Othia at Robinson Harness. Of all harness of that class, her's is the best quality for the money. Mine is in bad need of a cleaning and oiling.

Mini Luver..

The top bridle is a Smuckers and yes you can get it mini size. The bottom harness is more a traditional Roadster type with Square blinkers and it also comes in mini from Dave Lasalle. I love the round blinkers (coming from my Hackney background) and if I remember correctly you can get a round blinker bridle from Lasalle in mini size.

FYI..round blinkers = side check and square blinkers = overcheck ..me and my traditions LOL

Kim

Here is my baby boy's custom harness, and I will NEVER buy anything else. The guy who makes these lives twenty mins from me and used to build the harnesses for the Budwiser horses way back when. I am starting ADS driving this year (YAY) and I can't wait for the ADS drivers to see it as they will really appreciate the craftsmanship. It is a bit thicker than most of the breed show harnesses you see but I would much rather have that than a string keeping the whole gig together. I was thinking about getting a freedom collar for him but I wasn't sure that it would be scaled down well for the little ones (dakota is only 32 inches tall and very compact) but all the praise it is getting means I will be ordering one soon!!

250634302_l.jpg

The Camptown/Chimacum sport harness is purchasable from either www.camptownharness.com or www.horsedriver.com, which is Chimacum Tack. Janie at Chimacum has a booth at the mini shows while Camptown is more big-horse orientated, but both are very nice so take your pick. Janie has it priced $4 less. :lol: The harness from Camptown is $599 (it went up $100 last year) and I have been warned it will be going up again in April so if you want it, buy now!

Be aware if you order a Smucker's mini bridle you have to specify you want the chain browband or they will send spots.

The rules for round blinkers versus square seem to vary depending on your discipline- I've seen one set of "rules" for ADS Pleasure Driving, another for show ring driving, and the CDE people and English coachman each seem to have another complete set of rules.
default_wacko.png
:

Regarding the Camptown Freedom Collar, I haven't gotten to try it out in hard pulling situations yet. I've used it with his heavy cart in a flat arena but there was no one to video him for me so I couldn't see if he moved any better. The other times have been with his Hyperbike and that's so light I don't think he'd notice any difference! LOL. But he is cheerful while letting me strap it on and clearly notices more freedom in his throat area while driving so I think it will be worth it just for that. We'll see on the first marathon if he has an easier time going up hills, etc. My new cart *crosses fingers* should have a lower draft angle too so hopefully between those two things he will be able to pull much easier when the going gets deep.

Shari, is yours actually the special-order leather version or is it synthetic with leather lining?

Leia

Mine is the Leather top, Syth backing.

mondak, the Freedom Collar is really scaled down for the mini's!

They also have the first Collar and Hames that is truely scaled down for the mini's. First maker I have seen do this...makes all the difference in the world.

Is the Freedom collar a one size for all minis or does it come in different mini sizes? Thanks, Mary

They also have the first Collar and Hames that is truely scaled down for the mini's. First maker I have seen do this...makes all the difference in the world.

Leia- New cart???? Do tell!!! What did you order?

I just heard that my new Jerald ships tomorrow, I cannot WAIT!!! I think it is going to be gorgeous! I ordered one in Mahogany stain with gold and burgundy pin striping and brass appointments...woo hoo! Won't my little beauties look great with that setup? :D :new_multi: :488: :cheeky-smiley-006:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari, are you sure? According to the website the collar is completely synthetic unless you request otherwise and only the neckstrap and the lining (which I assumed was the inside) come in leather options unless you special order an all-leather collar.
default_wacko.png
: The outside of the one I have is sure matte synthetic.
default_unsure.png
:

So far it looks to me from watching people try it on their horses like the larger the mini the better it fits, but then again that's normal. It fits okay on Kody who is 33.5" and pretty narrow, so I imagine it would fit a 32" stocky fellow as well. It IS the first shaped collar I've seen that was actually created from mini measurements and not a scaled down big horse template so it's the best out there right now! And Marjean is a pleasure to deal with so there's no harm in trying if you think you might like it. :bgrin

Leia

Edited to add: Clickmini, after my last cart purchasing disaster I don't want to say anything until I buy it, it's here, and I like it! LOL I think your cart will be gorgeous and I can't wait to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jessi,

Were you able to get photos of your Camptown Sport harness?? I'd love to see both full body shots and closeups.

While I have your (and others') attention, how far away from being breed show suitable is this harness? Also, do they sell the sport harness WITH the Freedom collar, or do you have to pay $599 PLUS $150 extra for the collar?

Is the Freedom collar a one size for all minis or does it come in different mini sizes? Thanks, Mary

She said she would make it however we want it. The Standard mini size looks like it will fit Maggie well.

At this point, I will need to get Susanne over here to help me try it on Maggie.
default_yes.gif
:

susanne said:
Were you able to get photos of your Camptown Sport harness?? I'd love to see both full body shots and closeups.
While I have your (and others') attention, how far away from being breed show suitable is this harness? Also, do they sell the sport harness WITH the Freedom collar, or do you have to pay $599 PLUS $150 extra for the collar?
Susanne, most of the harnesses you saw at Happ's were Camptown's. So are a lot of the ones in my pictures of Lincoln Creek. I can tell you which ones by email if you really want to see.

In my opinion, this harness is pretty far from breed show because it is synthetic and very much in the carriage style rather than fine harness. If you got it in all leather and removed the breeching it might be okay, but it would still have the shaped crownpiece, no check, double-strap breastcollar, gig saddle, etc. Carriage harness and fine show harness are just two different critters and that's all there is to it.
default_unsure.png
:

Most harness retailers I've talked with will deduct the price of the standard breastcollar, add the cost of the fancier one, and come up with a final price that way. If you wanted the basic harness with regular collar AND a FC, yes, you'd have to pay for it on top of the $599.

Leia

I knew I'd have to pay full price if I were adding the FC to another company's harness...just wondering about Camptown/Chimacum.

This is one reason I've leaned toward the Ozark Carriage Harness and adding the Freedom Collar at a later date...my main interests are CDE.ADS, but I'd like to keep my options at least somewhat open.

You know....just to be on the safe side.

We should all be able to buy, one harness from each maker! :lol:
default_whistling.gif
:
default_thumbup.gif
:

Freedman's, Smuckers and so on. :lol: That way.. we will always have the correct harness for what we are doing.

So who is going to win that lottery ticket?? :risa_suelos:

Susanne,,

What are you interested in doing with Mingus? Do you just want to do local AMHR breed shows? Go to the Nationals?

Or do what Leia is doing?

Because the CDE and trail driving harnesses have to be much more sturdy than the show ones.

Then there is...do you mind taking the time to carefully clean leather...or do you want to wash it in the dishwasher or bucket?

You know,, Breanna's harness maker, could make you a harness that would work for many different kinds of shows.

Leia...I will have to double check about the Freedom Collar. I know I talked with someone about it. Then I got hurt and my order fell through the cracks, so to speak. So I do not know if I got what I ordered or there standard on. Not that is matters that much right now.

Pretty sure the Freedom collar folks will make a nice harness in leather. They also have that nice patient leather harness.

Now I must stop drooling all over all the carts, sleighs and harnesses I am looking at, on line.

Jessi,

I did, but have yet to get them off my camera! I will say Chili is too far forward in the cart in the pics, and that was making him as close as possible! Need to get that fixed... I should hopefully get some pics of Chili wearing his harness at our combined driving show this weekend, though I'll be using the traces from my Smuckers harness since the Camptown ones are too long, so you'll have to forgive that!

I don't (yet) drive in breed shows. I will be buying a show cart from a friend once she buys a new one, but since Chili isn't registered
default_sad.png
I won't be using him, so I won't be using his harness. I woudln't think though that it would be good for breed shows. Just a guess, but not... refined? Thin? enough. And it doesn't have a check. I really don't know about breed show harnesses other than that, though.

Hmm well the harness was without the Freedom Collar, if you wanted that collar instead it was a little bit more. I forget how much though, sorry! Craig bought it for me, and we got a discount for buying it at the show she was at. Pretty sure it wasn't 150 extra (I think maybe 60? But I really could be wrong! LOL)

Jessi

I am in a similiar delimna. I am borrowing a lightweight leather harness for the moment and just really don't think it is adequate for leaving the arena. I much prefer a washable biothane type material, but $600 seems steep for a beginner driver to invest in. I am care leasing my mini, so I am still in the trying things on stage! I have no plans to do breed shows, just pleasure driving, including out on trails, and maybe some entry level CDE.

I have seen some other harness options out there, but it is so difficut to assess from pictures on the internet!!

Please don't let this thread die out....I have been reading and studying and researching and visiting every site I can find. I have looked at the pictures until I am cross-eyed. I think the answer for us, "beginners", is a betathan harness with removable breeching---of course, can't find such a harness. Anyone have any suggestions?

Am just itching to order something but no concept what or where.......

:no:

Back