Personal Insight on New Hardship and Measuring Place

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3

Reaction score
I am at the AMHA meeting and on the committees that were part of the preparation of these proposed rules.

The rule for closing the registry was proposed so that we could take the FIRST step in becoming a true breed. In its original form, the person had initially considered a date of 2009, as that was the normal time for a new rule that is voted on at this meeting to take effect. During the process, it was pointed out that implementing the rule might be more acceptable to the membership if it had a little more lead time. The thought process was that some people may have bought or bred horses that they were hoping to hardship when they turned five (assuming the horse stayed under 34" at maturity), and that if the registry closed right away, that they would lose that investment as the registry would close before the horse matured. So, the date of 2013 was chosen. There was never any mention in the committee meetings of the desire to keep AMHR horses out of AMHA, only to close the registry to start becoming a breed.

On the issue of WHERE to measure, I personally proposed that we change the measuring point to the 'highest point of the withers'. This was so that we could conform to the way that equines are traditionally measured. It would not only give us more credibility with the 'horse world', but would also help to alleviate the differences in height that occur for the overseas buyers of our miniature horses.

My proposal to change the location of where we measure was not done in any way to address the 'problems' that have been encountered with measuring at shows. In my personal opinion, that problem is because horses are not standing correctly when they are measured. It may rarely be because someone couldn't find the last hair, but seriously, from what I have seen, it is 99+% due to the horse being set up incorrectly.

My proposal (highest point of the withers) did not pass, by a large margin, even though it was tied to a proposal that would have allowed any horse that is currently 34" or less at the last hair of the mane, but over 34" at the withers, to be 'grandfathered'. (My version of 'grandfathered' was that the horse would continue with full breeding and showing rights for its lifetime, as long at it continued to measure 34" or under at the last hair of the mane. The grandfathering would only have affected the way that the maximum heigth is determined, it would have not bearing on how all horses are measured for the different class sizes, such as 28-30" and 30-32", etc. Although this would have 'favored' the grandfathered horses in the tallest height division, as they would be taller than the horses that are measured by the new standard, but in time, those horses would disappear from the showring, just as the Foundation Oversize horses are fading away.)

The ‘base of the withers’ proposal immediately followed my ‘highest point of the withers’ proposal. There was relatively little discussion. I did stand up to oppose the measure. My personal feeling is that since the ‘problem’ is not WHERE we measure, that changing the location from one non-standard location (last hair of the mane) to another (base of the withers) is not any kind of an answer. I feel that making the change to the base of the withers is pointless.

I have been around horses for 40+ years, and until last year, I had never heard of the ‘base of the withers’ or ‘lowest point of the withers’ as a place to measure horses. Now, I am hearing that it is a definable ‘notch’ on the bone. I have a general idea where it is supposed to be located, but until someone actually shows (helps me feel) where this mysterious place is located, I will have to wait to tell you whether I think it will be an ‘easier’ or ‘better’ place for people to find than the ‘last hair of the mane’.

Even if it does turn out to be ‘easy’, I just don’t understand how anyone thinks it will be easier to explain the ‘base of the withers’ to someone than it is to tell them how to find the ‘last hair of the mane’. Just about everyone, including very seasoned horse people will have to be taught to find this ‘notch’.

And, just in case anyone is interested, there was a letter sent in by one member that measured 9 horses, at the ‘last hair’, the ‘top of withers’ and at the ‘base of the withers’. The max difference from the ‘last hair’ to the top of the withers was 1.5” taller, the minimum difference was .25” taller, with the average being .833” taller. The max difference from the ‘last hair’ to the ‘base’ was 1.0 inches shorter, the minimum was 0” and the average was .36” shorter. So, the change in the measuring location means that there is very little chance that ANY horse will need to be grandfathered, as all horses will likely measure shorter than they do currently.

Whether it was fully realized or not, this means that as of the effective date of this new rule (Jan 1, 2009) AMHA will be bringing taller horses into its fold, as some horses that measured 35” tall will now measure only 34”. What this means for horses whose papers had previously been turned in, or those whose owners never sought their AMHA papers, still has not been resolved or even discussed as the change is so new.

I am sad that this new measuring point was adopted. I personally can not see an ‘up’ side. It doesn’t address the ‘measuring issue’ at shows, it only makes the discrepancy between the size we measure in the US vs Overseas worse, we continue with a non-standard spot, it will be an unending learning curve training people to find the ‘notch’, and it will be even more difficult to accurately observe whether a horse is being measured in the correct place as the ‘base’ is a place you are supposed to be able to ‘feel’ but from what I am understanding, can not ‘see’.

I really feel that making that sorta change should have been discussed with the membership way more in depth and yes I totally feel that it will make AMHA look "bad" to the rest of the horse world. All they are doing is allowing bigger horses in..HHMMM I dunno why I am complaining I guess I can now bring in my Reflection daughter who measures 1/2 in. over...
default_biggrin.png

I agree 100% with your statement that by measuring at the base of the withers is not going to accomplish anything other than moving it from one "strange" way to measure our horses to creating a new "strange" way of measuring their height. I agree, if the location/method was to change at all, it should have been to the top of the withers like any other horse breed.

Thanks for all the details. I hate to say this, but I agree on measuring at the top of the withers. Every other breed is measured that way, why not these.

I do however disagree greatly on the comment about you don't see much "cheating" but it is how the horse is standing. I have been showing miniatures for only 3 years and I was told several "tricks" to get my horses to get measured under. It has also been told to me, don't feel like you are "cheating" because if you watch closely almost everyone does it. Boy is that true. From stretching a horse to lifting its head to scratching the back, to more desperate measures of lunging a horse for 20 minutes to wear them out and have a lower back, and taking the heels off of the hoof. There is so much of it going on in both the AMHA and AMHR that I don't see many horses honestly measured.
default_sad.png

When I bought one of my first minis I contacted several people including a judge, and a trainer on how to measure him because he needed permanant papers. Well I did everything they told me. Stood him on flat cement, stood him square, and measured at the last mane hair. I measured him as 34 1/2 inches. After getting into minis and showing we had several show horses that were obviously taller than him measuring in at 32 3/4 inches. Funny how that works. I remeasured him after seeing lots of horses measured and now knew for sure how they get measured at the shows. I only came up with at the most 1/4 of an inch difference. We have even had a single horse grow 1 3/4 inches and another shrink over an inch in 60 days. Now, can you honestly say that the current measuring system is honest and reliable, I don't think so. That is obvious down at AMHR nationals where there are horses winning that are truly over 38", but then again maybe it depends on "who" is at the end of the lead when they get measured.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

Hi Julie!

I'm neither here nor there at the moment about this subject but I have a tiny comment to make: Honey, I've shrunk the minis........

I went out tonite to the barn to try and locate that new mystery "notch" or dip or dent whatever it is on my horses and so far, I don't think I really found it! I know where the withers are for petes sakes but feeling around for that "thing" or indentation is a little bit strange.

My horses are pig fat at the moment from winter hay so I am wondering if that is why with this extra little layer of fat I am having problems locating this new measuring zone accurately. If I did it correctly, I have a few horses that have just shunk.

Well I haven't tried to find the mystery divit/dent/notch whatever they're calling it yet on my horses but I wonder how many horses they checked to see how consistant or easy it is to find before they proposed this nonsense! I know my little chunky monkeys are going to be hard to palpate for this measuring spot. Do they make a special measuring stick that will stay in that divit and not move when they measure? I really think that to come up with another unconventional spot to measure a horse is just nuts. :DOH! Whenever I have to explain how minis are measured to my friends with full size horses they don't get it.......and guess what....they still won't get it.

Greetings from Australia! I sincerely hope that Australia do NOT follow suit.
default_sad.png

I personally think that this new method of measuring will not solve anything and as others have said, most people with "normal" horses will be even more perplexed at how they are measured.

With this new bottom of wither method, you will actually be encouraging an INCREASE IN HEIGHT of the breed. You will in fact be breeding (and encouraging) bigger animals.
default_wacko.png

Top of the wither is just that - the top. :DOH!

Yes, some can cheat a little bit with this, but it is far more obvious just where the measurement is/should be taken. There are already derogative remarks made here about the last hair measurement method by the Measurers working at some of our top Agricultural Shows. These people measure all animals that have a height limit on their classes. They will fall about laughing if this comes in here.

Yes, if you measure at the top of the wither there will be some that will measure over. However, as I see it, the breed will benefit in the long run, by actually encouraging breeders to aim for a slightly smaller animal.

I believe that this is a very short-sighted decision.

I talked with some of the AMHA members who were at the meeting. They said that AMHA has tried to come up with a solution regarding measuring for a while. I know an ex director from our area spoke to me about it a year ago and asked my opinion of measuing at the withers.

My only concern is that in many horses, there is a big difference in the top of the wither area virses the bottom. Yes the bottom will allow a few more horses to get in (though they were probably already in if they were only 1/2" oversized) , but to go to the top would eliminate a lot more horses. A 2" difference is a BIG difference in the Mini world. Yes we could grandfather them in, but then their offspring would also have a problem and so on and so forth. I felt that it could cause quite a bit of trouble with a good portion of the AMHA membership to suddenly say your 32" horse now measures 34", and your 32 1/2" horse is now oversized and it's get are no longer allowed, not unless you dump all of your tall mares/stallions and start over again in your breeding program. I think all of us need to get our horses down more in height as there are too many that are 341/2" or taller being shown and bred and work towards the goal of the top of the withers for the future. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to breeders.

By measuring where a bone is, whether the bone is at the top of the withers or the bottom, there is less chance to cheat, and believe me there is a lot of cheating going on!!
default_sad.png

I was witness to what went on at the World show this past year. You are certainly right that a lot of the trainers were allowed to get away with things that the regular Joe Smoe was not. I watched one chestnut weanling filly get measured for the 3rd time because she was going over the 30". The measurer stood there and let the trainer park out the filly, push on and rub on her back, pull up her head and stretch every thing out. Wow, the filly just measured in.
default_no.gif
I have no idea who this filly was, but she should not have made it.

I also was there when quite a few horses were called on to be re- measured. A couple of trainers pulled their horses to make sure that they did not have to re-measure, one heard about what was to happen, so he did not even bother measuring his horse, but the horse was there on the grounds and was entered in the show. Other horses went from a smaller class to a larger class. Not one who was required to be re-measured still measured at the right height. What does that say?

By using a bone to measure, hopefully we will lower the ways of being able to cheat and yes, the people who are doing the measuring need to not allow anyone to cheat!!

If someone is going to cheat, where you take the measurement makes no difference, none. Cheaters will do what they are going to do in order to get the results they want. Their tactics might have to change some, depending on where the spot is, but this 'base' measurement will not change any of the current tactics being used.

There was at least a 'purpose' to be fulfilled by changing the measuring point to the highest point of the withers, it more lets us conform to the rest of the equine world, and it has a major impact on our international customers who do not measure the same way as in the United States. I see no gain, but potential loss from moving the measuring point to the base of the withers.

The move to measuring at the base of the withers takes us even further away from ever being able to change to the highest point. It has done nothing to promote the breeding of smaller horses, it just allows us to breed larger ones.

I feel that once this rule is in place for any period of time, it will be irreverible. Right now, the height difference, in the one 'study' that we have to work from, has a max height difference of 1.5", not 2". It also showed a decrease in size by a max of one inch if the horse was measured at the base vs the last hair. So, that is a 2.5 inch maximum distance between measurements taken at the highest point of the withers and the base. I don't see how we can ever consider passing a rule change that would add that much more to their height when we won't consider one right now that potentially adds even less.

I think all of us need to get our horses down more in height as there are too many that are 341/2" or taller being shown and bred and work towards the goal of the top of the withers for the future. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to breeders.
This is not for you to decide! Breeding our horses is a personal decision, and we all decide to breed the way WE choose to breed for our own reasons, and NO, I for one will NOT be breeding smaller horses because you feel I should be!
default_rolleyes.gif

Also, R3, did you mention somewhere earlier that you were going to be working on trying to have this rule changed/challenged again before the June meeting? I did manage to hear on their webcast yesterday that they need 15 signatures to bring it forth, and I am sure you will have no trouble at all gettng it, BUT, I would be more than happy to be one of your signatures to have it changed to the top of the withers, vs the way they have it now, at the base.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all of us need to get our horses down more in height as there are too many that are 341/2" or taller being shown and bred and work towards the goal of the top of the withers for the future. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to breeders.

I think breeders will still breed for the tallest allowed as from what is said here the tallest seem to do the best. This new rule has now ensured that legally a previously 35.00 or even 35.25 horse can now show in your 34.00 and under classes and you thought everyone was complaining about .50 in to tall
default_rolleyes.gif
I know with the few people I talked to who measured horses yesterday there was several 35.00 in horses that now easily measured in so this will be more then a random few. This decision will forever change AMHA and what it considered a "true" miniature horse.
default_yes.gif

Why would this rule change be a wakeup call to breeders??? All this rule does is make a 35" (at the last mane hair) horse a legitimate AMHA 34" horse when measured at the base of the withers. You are allowing a whole group of taller horses into the registry, and as I see it this is encouraging people to continue breeding taller, not smaller.

Well then...how does one go about using a measure stick on this fanciful little "notch"??
default_wacko.png
:DOH!

Good Grief!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I think breeders will still breed for the tallest allowed as from what is said here the tallest seem to do the best. This new rule has now ensured that legally a previously 35.00 or even 35.25 horse can now show in your 34.00 and under classes and you thought everyone was complaining about .50 in to tall
default_rolleyes.gif
I know with the few people I talked to who measured horses yesterday there was several 35.00 in horses that now easily measured in so this will be more then a random few. This decision will forever change AMHA and what it considered a "true" miniature horse.
default_yes.gif
so, 35 inch horses can now compete in the 34 inch and under classes...i dont get it please please explain!
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Okay, so earlier I went out & checked just to see if I could find this previously unheard of "notch". On some of the horses I think I found it, and in every case it was at least a half inch lower that the spot where the last mane hair is located. On some horses it was a good inch further along the back from where the mane hairs end, though given the fact that the last mane hair is generally well down from the top of the withers, an inch closer to the back didn't mean an inch less in height....

But wait--did I have the right notch???? I asked myself this because on the last horse I checked, I actually found 3--yes THREE--spots that felt like what could be called a "notch".
default_new_shocked.gif

As far as I can tell, this mysterious notch is nothing more that a space between two vertabrae and depending on the individual horse, you may or may not be able to feel each space in the wither area of the spinal column. Someone keeps saying that "some" horses have a drop off between the wither and the back. Perhaps some horses do, but I would suggest that this isn't true of all of them and in many cases that "base of wither" location may be very much up to individual interpretation.

The lowest point of the wither? I can see there being arguments between measurement person and handler, when handler insists that the lowest point of the wither is actually one notch lower than what is being measured... Come on people, if you are convinced that this new measurement spot is so cut and dried and obvious, you are very gullible.

I think this new way of measuring in is competely rediculous and this idea should be thrown out the window. I thought AMHA was one to breed the most smallest and most porportion mini out there, but measuring in this way you are just accepting taller horses. As far as hardshipping is concerned it was bound to happen, I do not agree with it but atleast they are giving people plenty of time to hardship those horses in. One thing I do wish and hope they will change is to let geldings be hardshipped in. They can't do any damage to the breed or bloodlines. If people want to show their gelding then let it be a incentive and still let gelding beable to be hardship. I wish AMHR will accept that but oh well.

I tell you what I had a very hard time finding the spot to measure them, took my friend to find it. We measured a horse and got it to be a 1" smaller, maybe more once trimmed.

Yesterday my friend had surgery on her filly's knees. The vet cut a groove in the bone of the knees to allow it to spread and grow. I wonder if my vet would do some "vertebrae reconstructive surgery"
default_unsure.png

Andrea

One thing I do wish and hope they will change is to let geldings be hardshipped in. They can't do any damage to the breed or bloodlines. If people want to show their gelding then let it be a incentive and still let gelding beable to be hardship. I wish AMHR will accept that but oh well.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

JMHO, That is simply a GREAT idea. It inforces gelding to be more desired and helps the 'pet' mini become fewer. I think MANY youth, like Devon and myseft would strongly support this.

As for AMHA, to be honest, I feel that they are just cheating themselves. THEY are the ones who want SMALL horses under 34" and so the should follow through with this and measure at the top of the withers; OR Raise the breed standards to 35-36". Period!

I also support the idea of over grown 'stock papers' and gandfathering todays' over horses.

JMO

I haven't even looked on my mini's but i do think from the sounds of it they are discussing the notches between the vertebra, You can see these quite clearly on large breed, big withered horses like TB's. there are definate notches and several of them. I have a mini that his withers are quite clear and i'm sure you'd find at LEAST one notch probably several. Many mini's are just too fat to really use the notch as an example. On the other hand if they are talking about the "dip" behind the withers that's again typcially the lowest point of the back or pretty darned close to it (even if there isn't much of a dip on some mini's..it's still slightly there).

none of it makes sence..it's all foolish!

Ok I have a question.. what happens if you had an AMHA horse that went over by just a little bit and an honest person revoked the papers? Now the horse would be in but the papers are already revoked? Can that horse be reinstated? If both parents are still registered and the horse fits the criteria i'd think they couldn't tell you NO.. just curious... I would think they should reinstate these horses without the added expenses that you already paid as well because those horses now qualify and they forced you to revoke them to begin with...... interesting concept ...wondering how they are going to do this!

So, ...................., as all horses will likely measure shorter than they do currently.
Hmmmmmm seems this is the ' through the back door 'way
default_wink.png
to get the taller horses into AMHA without disclosing that was the true intent?
default_unsure.png
................... What is going to happen when down the road it needs to be changed again due to the confusion - a sure way to tarnish ones reputation even further if you ask me............. But I will reserve my final thoughts until I go find my horses indentations & figure out how to argue where exactly the indentation is on my plump horses and how to get my over height horses measured in!!!
default_pinocchio.gif
default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png
default_shutup.gif

Latest posts

Back