Person of the Week: Madeleine Pickens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They interviewed her on TV last night. She sounds like she has a heart of gold when it comes to helping animals. I think its a good concept too, and she is willing to purchase over one million acres to do this on, plus have it like a lodge/cabins for people to come and learn the mustang heritage.

I read an article on it that said she planned to sterilize all the animals...that would take care of population growth other than for what was being brought into the herd as needed.

Go Madeline Go!!! Great story. I'd love to be able to visit her sanctuary some day.
default_yes.gif
Can't even imagine what an awesome sight it would be to see them running free as the wind.

Look out, I am getting my soapbox out. It all sounds good in theory but I hope she puts more thought and plans for the future than she has her other plans. The scary part is that she has the financial resources to carry through with some of her hairbrained schemes.

Did you know that with her husbands political conections and their financial resources they are primarily the ones that shut down the slaughter houses? I know we have had some lively discussions about slaughter houses here on the forum but now there is a need for them they are no longer available and now we have our domestic horses suffering. The economic times are hard right now and if you can't put a roof over your head and food on the table are you going to put the limited resources available to the family into feeding and properly caring for horses?

Our domestic horses are in crisis right now. We have had hurricanes, droughts, fires and now with the economy food prices are up. Look around and you will see people giving horses away, rescues are up, horses are starving or turned loose to fend for themselves. It is very expensive to euthanize and dispose of unwanted horses. People have their backs against the wall and very few places to turn to. As much as I don't like the concept, the slaughter houses would be a humane option in these times.

I will get down off my soapbox before I get into further trouble. My point is she better think things through before she puts a wrench in the works.

Kathi maybe I'm missing something here but I personally don't see anything wrong with someone deciding to save the lives of horses. Doesn't matter whether they're domestic or wild, any horse saved is a good thing. The fact that she's decided to champion the wild horse plight rather than the domestic horse problem is a personal decision on her part and I still say Go Madeline. A live horse (any live horse) is a whole lot better than the alternative.

If she can do and do it right, then good for her. My concern is that she gets on her campains and is successful in the short run but in the long run has done a serious misjustice to our horse community. We have had lively discussions about slaughter houses, pros and cons, and I am not a big fan of slaughter houses but they do serve a purpose. Some people here were mortified that euthanasia clinics are sprouting up but what do we do with our old. lame unwanted horses that you can't give away, people don't have the money to buy them, people don't have the money to feed them much less their selves. Then you add the cost of health maintainence and people get overwhelmed. Rescues are seeing an increase in starving, abused horses and can only take in so many. Thank God for CMHR and everyone on this forum that supports them because we are at least stepping up and taking care of our own. I talked to Marty on the phone the other day and they are seeing an increase with many horses out there still to be rescued.

Many on this forum have big horses and realize the minis are much easier to afford than the biggies. I call my horses quarter horses as the feed and care is about 1/4 of the big guys. Feed in my area is $280/ton which doesn't go very far if you have a few big horses. It's the big horses that are paying the price in this economic environment. You are hearing way too frequently horses turned loose to fend for themselves because the owners don't have the resources to keep them. The rendering plant recently closed down in our area so if you have a big horse die or need to have one put down it costs between $400-600 to euthanize and dispose of horses. If you can't pay your mortgage or feed your family, where is your priority. While most everyone here are responsible owners, many out in the big bad world aren't. Slaughter houses at least gave horse owners an option to deal with the unwanted horse situation. Too bad that isn't an option and now horses are starving, turned loose to fend for themselves and are dire circumstances and we have Madeiline Pickens to thank for it.

Okay, let's address the mustang problem. Buying a million acres to house all the mustangs and having cabins and learning centers for the mustangs is a noble cause. While I admit I don't have all the info on what she plans to do, does she have a responsible breeding program to go along with her plans for a sanctuary? If she doesn't have a responsible breeding program and gelds all the stallions, then as the horses die with none to replace them, we lose our heretage of wild roaming mustangs. Very noble cause to save them now but what about the future? This sounds too close to the noble cause of shutting down the slaughter houses and saving our domestic horses.

Latest posts

Back