Peanut Blessed me with a

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very naughty of peanut you poor thing Renee. Let's hope that peanut doesnt give anyone else any scares today
default_sad.png

Lol oh yeah she is allowed to do that lol I have barn alarm on so I will be awake dearest peanut a daytime foaling is most acceptable ok ;)

Heidi, just catching up on yesterday's excitement....WOW

For Peanuts eye you might try an Earl Grey tea bag.

Steep it in warm water, let cool a bit and apply one to the

eye a few times a day.

My farrier swears by it and I had occassion to use it on

BabyZee right after we moved here.

It actually worked, don't know why it works but it does.

I keep them around now.

hello Ladies-I have to say that you are all very entertaining for me. I also share the stories I read on here to my mom and sister-in-law--both of which think I am crazy for being addicted and watching Peanut every night! We have minis and big horses but have no foals due this year. We have not had good luck over the last 3 years with my mini foaling and both of our mares decided they didn't want to be pregnant (both were confirmed in Dec. ) this year and so we have no babies. I have tons of questions for all of you but one to ask today-have you ever heard that horses do have some control over the 1st. part of labor? Our vet has told us that we should just watch (either via cam or outside the barn) when we think our mare is getting ready as she does have the power to stop it if she prefers. I have been wondering because I keep thinking that Peanut is going to foal but then I look over and Heidi is doing her witch show...and I wonder if things would have progressed if Peanut had not been interrupted. Just curious and would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Enjoy your day!

I guess I fibbed...I have another question. Have we ever had any update on Peanuts status as far as vulva color, length, tailend, etc? I have just realized that you ladies post and have conversations in multiple locations so I am trying to catch up...

Thanks

Charli, I believe that the foal chooses the day and the mare the hour as YES they will hold off if they are disturbed and I know this for sure as I have never caught 1 until I went on Marestare with a cam. My mares would wait until I put them out if I sat with them all night

Good Afternoon, I have heard about the Earl Grey T. Bags for people who are stressed...prepare the same way and just place them on your eyes. Never heard of it for horses but I guess if you dont think it will sting ( do you just gently hold on the eye or actually squeeze a little into the eye..that makes me a little nervous)...has anyone else tried it? It does appear better today.

Hi Charli,sorry you missed us last night..we did have fun. I appreciate your concerns about Peanut and perhaps bothering her when she "could have been getting ready to foal" but I do not think she was. I would never intentionally do something that would upset any of my horses....especially one that is so close to foaling. If she was about to foal and I screwed it up of course I would be horrified...maybe it was stupid of me and Im sorry if I upset you. Peanut will be the first foal here so I do watch her almost constantly and interract w/her daily...I do not think I put her safety in jeopardy..but will certainly be more considerate of her in the future.

Renee, Going up and down like she was when you saw her this am would certainlly be wierd.Please do not hesitate to call me ever..call collect..I was late feeding her today but she just seems uncomfortable but not looking like shes wants to foal. Im waiting ..and waiting for farrier..I think IM even going to have him wait on her..poor thing can barely balance on 4 legs never mind 3. Thanks for watching her and Im sorry she got youy so upset.

Hi Charli,Maybe, just maybe, Diane will bring along her camera when she comes tomorrow to visit ( hint hint)

then you can all see what I have hiding out here in the woods
default_new_shocked.gif

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Is Diane really going to visit you?? That is great if she is. YES YES photos are a must. If you have any problems posting them she can just email me and I will do it.

It is absolutely no problem being "frightened" by Peanut, it just made me feel stupid bc I had not put your number on speed dial before so I was scrolling down to get number and then panicking bc I wasn't watching and of course I kept hitting the wrong numbers so it was getting worse
new_shocked.gif
Now you are ready and in my memory. It wouldn't surprise me one minute if Peanut did a sneaky and just plopped down to foal, I mean nothing is normal about Peanut's pregnancy
wacko.gif

Renee, Im hoping she can still make it tomorrow, thats what we were sort of planning on. So if Peanut goes tonight or tomorrow while shes here...
default_aktion033.gif

Hi Heidi-Thanks for the update. I do not think you upset Peanut or me and I certainly think you would NEVER risk her safety! I was just curious if we were thinking right here in WI. We did have our first live foal last July and we kept doing the same thing....getting nervous about her behavior and walking out to check on her. Then the vet told us to leave her alone...guess what, we were minutes late for the birth and it did NOT turn out well. I don't know if us being there would have helped the situation but after watching Tease and Annie, I have learned a lot and think we may have been able to do better for our little "stormy'. He was born July 15th. and passed on July 15th, 2010. We did take him to the vet hospital but before I could even get home from dropping them off, they called and said it was not good. Very hard as I have 3 little girls who had been waiting a long time for this baby. We then purchased a bred mare so that we could get a baby this spring but no luck. We had her confirmed pregnant and had her in the barn, with a new camera we had bought plus a baby monitor we used last year, and she seemed to shrink before our eyes and get really crabby with our constant checking of her udder, etc. Finally my mom clipped her and she did NOT look pregnant-took her to the vet and found out she wasn't. We were so confused as we never saw an aborted foal. My other mare was bred late after losing Stormy and was confirmed to be due in Sept. We took her in at the same time becasue she seemed to come into a BIG heat and she was also confrmed open. What???
default_no.gif
So now we are hoping that they stick for next year ...and I hope that I will be able to get them up and running on marestare next spring so that I can take advantage of all the knowledge and committment from you and the others.

We have been educating ourselves ever since our loss by visting other breeders, reading these sites and books. We do not show or sell our horses (yet) but just play with and love on them. You never know, as my girls get old enough for 4-H we may visit the local fairs and show off our minis. Currently I am learning how to clip them...it is defintely something I need to practice on.
default_biggrin.png
I am so hopeful that I will get to watch Peanut give birth ( and learn a lot) but it seems like I might miss it....keep nodding off at night while watching her!
default_unsure.png

Good luck and have a beautiful day!

Maybe someone else will have some experience with Earl Grey tea bags and will pop in.

I'd not heard of humans using it, as you mentioned but guess it makes sense.

Our farrier of 20 odd years comes from a big horse background. His parents

owned a large Arabian breeding and training facility.

He got the tip from them and had used it himself over the years for

eye irritations.

I do not think it stings, as BabyZee would lay his head over sideways into

my hand with the warm tea bag in it. He seemed to look forward to it.

I did squeeze some fluid into the corner of his eye, hoping to flush whatever

it was causing the irritation.

Hi I have been thinking all morning should I pop in an offer my experience here??? Awww what the heck~! For irritated eyes (people or animals) I just use plain old lipton tea bags. Make the tea (I use two tea bags) let it cool and use cotton balls to gently wipe the eye area few times a day! It has always worked great! PS You guys crack me up!!!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Normal people are very boring
smokesmile.gif
cheers.gif
passsssssssss yourrrrrrrrrrrrrr cuppppppppppp, hickk

Hi Charli, gosh you have had your share of horrible heartbreaks, Im so sorry. The other mare that I bred this year has had several healthy babies (w/ previous owner ) w/o incedent and is a great mom but miscarried about 4 mos. ago so I understand your frustration. My mare showed no signs of discomfort before hand..picture perfect so its frustrating when there is no answers.

You sound like me...our horses are just pleasure...no showing. I just really love picking up poop, emptying water bucket,cleaning pastures and most of all the putting of all 4 of my vets children thru college and their trips to Disney
default_saludando.gif
I do not have the time for any more horses and just wanted these 2 babies and that would be it. I have no desire to have anymore except this little one.

I love the babies but breeding is just not for me....Im just happy that there are people that enjoy it so we can someday enjoy the pleasures of THEIR hard work
default_wub.png

This has been stressful enough.

Sometimes I do/we do act silly on our late night chats but I think that these fun chats really help me b/c at night when I watch Peanut, every little thing I see worries me...Im much better now, prior to mare stare and posting her link here I would be out there poking and prodding, looking in her mouth ( who the heck knows what I thought could possibly be happening in her mouth at 4 am )picking up poop 3 xs a day and putting it in a glove to check for sand....you name it I was looking at it....poor Peanut..at least w/MS and our late night chats I dont do all the crazy things like I used to. Well maybe sitting out w/Peanut for a "spell" would be considered crazy!! Anyway, dont be shy come be crazy with us at night. I hope to be able to watch your baby next year so please let us know when you put her on.

ZOELEEME...dont you dare sit and not add your opinions...you silly girl...I have plenty of regular tea and cotton balls so I will try that tonight. hubby already has orders to bring home some Earl Gray but now I can try both. Thanks for posting...and yeah we crack ourselves up alot too
default_risa_suelos.gif

P.S. Still sitting and wasting my day on the farrier
default_smokesmile.gif
not even a phone call...my cell phone works like crap out here in no mans land so I need to stay close to the house...so Im a little cranky
default_smokesmile.gif
and Im out of diet pepsi!!

Thanks Diane for bringing along your camera what time do you think you will be gracing us w/you presense?

I like to think the miscarriage is gods way of saving us from pain later. I have seen a few foals born and then die a few days later because they are "just not quite right" and that is much harder to live with. These horrible things happen to us too.
no.gif

Lets get back to the happy stuff like goofing around and being a bit "Peanut crazy"
smokesmile.gif

good, I already like your style...maybe I can find my piggie boxers...they were my favorite outfit pre mare stare. I didnt want anyone out there attempting to copy my fashion style so I put them away till later.
default_unsure.png
gotta find those boxers!!

When Britt started colicing (sp) I was so worried I grabbed my dressing gown and ran down stairs to her stall. ( my dressing gown is leopard spot)
new_rofl.gif

good idea Renee....happy thoughts only with a few crazy ones thrown in for good measure
default_cheers.gif

time to go check.... as Renee says......my chips...see ya later

Hey I forgot..WHO first mentioned Brittle...thats it...Thats what Im going to name it..Love it...great idea who ever thought of it...Renee, I promise I wont call her Britt...thats for your special girl!!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back