Peanut Blessed me with a

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning Team Peanut & Cameron.

Boy that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it
default_aktion033.gif

Mom and bebe boy look great this morning.

Looks like everything is progressing as it should for

a near 12 hour old baby.

I saw you put the hay down....glad you did that to cover

the shavings for a few days. A bit harder to clean but

makes such a nice bed and will give Peanut endless food

which will make her the happiest she's been in a long time.

She looks good this morning. Have to love her Mommy instincts.

Did you get any rest at all, Heidi?

robin..still find it pretty neat that Peanut foaled w/you lovely nursery sign AND on your Anniversary isnt that wonderful
default_aktion033.gif
PS. if you decide to go to italy came I come...I would love to sit side saddle during one of your foalings LOL

O.K. just gave PN her regular lunch but shes not pooped yet..she doesnt seem disstressed or in any pain...just grazing her stall. i expect vet to be here in a couple hours...is she ok till then you think

Thanks

Nancy, you know Im not even tired yet, lots of fan mail and phone calls it wonderful. I will most likely lay down once the vet gets here and gives the 2 thumbs up!

Hes getting lighter...still waiting for the photographer to get pictures emailed back to me so you all can see Cam.

Heidi it will take a few more hours until Peanut poops, I wasn't watching whilst she was in labour but I would imagine she emptied out totally. Just make sure she eats mash only and her hay of course.

I think when you crash you'll go out for a long while, once you're

feeling assured everything is going well --- And IT IS.

I think you'll be seeing some poop from Peanut soon.

It's just like a woman giving birth...takes awhile to get everything

working again.

When the vet arrives he might take a look at her behinder while he's

there, for the well mom & baby check up.

I love the fan letter..that is just so special, you and Peanut have

had such an effect on that whole family.

Happy Anniversary Robin and Happy 11th birthday to my grandson Reilly.

August 7th is just a darn good day!

Thanks Renee shes been getting all meals..mash..well she only had a snack after foaling, mushy PB w/a side of gator ade for lunch and I made her regular strategy plus an extra 1/2 C w/h2o for breakfast

So i guess Im just jumping the gun. Thanks again

Just catching up with all the 'congratulations' being posted for you and Peanut, Heidi. Everyone is so happy for you, and rightly so - you have a super duper little g/son there!
default_yes.gif

He certainly is a lively little chap isn't he, and Peanut looks so happy. Are they going out for a short spell later or will you be keeping them in for the day?

I see Miss Peanut is enjoying having a hay bed bless her. LOL!!

Hope your vet gives Cameron the OK but can't see that he will find anything wrong - he's drinking, peeing and pooing perfectly, so what more could a doting Grandma wish for.
default_aktion033.gif

Again, sending Many Congatulations - he's just gorgeous.
default_wub.png

Wish I could go! But I have to stay here and foal out my own mares! I'll have some nice ones coming from Nort and the Pooka!

I guess I'll have to start watching Suzie's thread now LOL

if she knew she was gonna get a 24 hour buffet she would have foaled weeks ago
yes.gif

Huge Congratulations Heidi! I am so happy for you and Peanut!
default_smile.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Now you can let your guard down and get some much needed rest. I am just now catching up on my sleep and our littlest sweet pea is over a week old.
default_wink.png

Can't wait to see photos and will be watching for the replay since she decided to foal 20 minutes after I went to bed.
default_wacko.png
LOL

Hi Connie,
default_saludando.gif
how is that little moon doing...I still check on him.. sorry just been too tired to post too much. Thinking of CoCoPah too
default_wub.png

Well vet couldnt believe the test it was well over 800 and the timer hadnt even gone off yet he said it was really really a great sign ...me being overly cautious... said well should we do another ( I kept thinking of our little Tease )just to make sure you didnt mess it up...well it was then that i think my bill went up about 100.00..he said no this test is just fine Peanut had some liguid gold in her
default_new_multi.gif
.Heart ungs everything else was great i had saved, being the manure godess that i am his last 2 poops and they were regular soft reddish color much unlike the black stuff at the beginning...he did not think Cam needed another enema but told me to watch and if hes straining give him another.

Peanut was the great protective mom the whole time..fussy fussy. I told him that although shes only had mash shes still not pooping....he said we could wait and that she was most likely fine but i know when I cant go poop Im pretty uncomfortable so I made him tube her and he was fine w/that...I love this vet...Im so glad he was the one to come out
default_risa8.gif
Anyway hopefully PN will make me a few nice poops...i just fed her. Im going to nap after feeding the others for a couple hours but will wake to check on PN poop progress and little Cam...look at him sleep!! hopefully you will have photos in the AM. if you guys see anything out of the norm could you call me Please but I think we're doing ok.....really!!
default_new_multi.gif

Nighty Night Diane

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little concerned about Cameron. He seems to be having trouble drinking - difficult to see on the cam, but he keeps drinking and then either coughing, or sneezing, then trying to drink more and then more sneezing/coughing.

Could it be that Peanut has had a sudden influx of milk, although it is a bit soon for that. Or maybe he got overstressed by the vet's visit (he also looks a bit weaker to me than he did several hours ago, so maybe he is just tired himself out), or maybe Peanut stressing (could see this on the cam during the vet's visit) has made her let her milk down in 'fits and jerks' - can a mare do this? Although stress can do funny things to horses/animals, so guess anything is possible.

Can you get Peanut out for a bite of grass Heidi, that would help with her digestion, but foaling mares often dont pass droppings for ages.

Sorry but we dont do all the foal testing over here (not with a normal lively drinking, pooing foal anyway) so I was wondering what exactly your vet was doing - not easy to see on the cam. Saw them grab him between the assistants legs, and lift his head for something, but couldn't see what else went on and am interested to understand what they do?

Just going back to check on the little chap again.

He seems ok now! And I can see you there so all must be well.
default_yes.gif

He is still on and off the teat a bit but perhaps that is due to Peanuts milk being a bit free flowing and he is taking a pause to have a proper swallow of his huge mouthful. LOL!! At least he's not doing the funny stop and sneeze type movement.

Sorry if I worried you!

Sorry but we dont do all the foal testing over here (not with a normal lively drinking, pooing foal anyway) so I was wondering what exactly your vet was doing - not easy to see on the

Anna could you lease explain what you were thinking here...the above paragraph doesnt make sense to me according to the first part of you post

"normal lively drinking"

and yet right prior to this you seemed to see that Peanut was having difficulties..coughing, sneezing. you have me confused...

Thanks

Heidi I would not worry as he is still learning to use those long legs and something I have noticed with some of my foals is that the legs quiver with the effort it takes to hold them in position for a drink and they can usually only manage a quick suck or two before they fall off the teat and have to start all over again.

I was worried about Tilly as she was such a bag of bones and was under a lot of pressure to hold her squat and drink but I neednt have worried as she was getting loads and peeing and pooping to beat the band.

Also with Tilly Shimmer had so much milk that it was coming down her nose and I would hear her snorting and I would see white stuff coming down her nose. She did that for a couple of wks but that was it and now she is more then able for what her mother can produce and is a demanding little madam.

I assume too that its still very hot so it will be hard on him for the first while as he wont really be able to regulate his temps and that alone will have him tired.

I see Miss Peanut has pooped so all is well and she is still pooping in her bathroom.

I hope you get a good nights rest Heidi - you deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
was watching Cam have a little snooze earlier!! he is the SWEETEST little thing on 4 legs!!! absoloutly gorgeous, do you have some pics yet??
default_new_shocked.gif

Heidi, I'm so sorry that I confused you - you know what I'm like, I worry and then cant say properly what I mean! Diane got it right, it was very difficult to see properly on the cam but Cameron seemed to be taking a drink then backing off for a sneeze or a cough. I just got worried because a couple of posts previously you had said you were going to try for a couple of hours sleep. But what he was doing can also happen if the mares milk is flooding out a bit fast and getting up a foals nostrils. Any way he was fine a little later so no worries.

We dont have vets out to do checks on foals here in the UK, well not unless something is wrong or it was perhaps a difficult birth. I was just interested in exactly what tests are done - I dont understand what is meant by 'a level of over 800' and 'alarm going off'. I checked on Peanut's cam after your vet had been there for a while, so couldn't see clearly what he was doing. Peanut, naturally looked a bit worried about what was happening, or maybe she just didn't like extra folk around her baby, but I know this was just for a little while and that if these tests are important, then it is worth a little stress.

I was just wondering if it is something we over here should be thinking seriously about.

Anna, it's not a hard and fast rule to do those tests, for many.

If someone were to miss a foaling and was not sure if the baby had

gotten to the faucets and gotten that important colostrum, they

might choose to do a IgG, just for reassurance. A level of

over 800 is postive that the baby has sufficient colostrum in

his system, to pick up immunities from Mom.

The alarm is the time it takes for the test to process.

Well Mom and Baby check ups the vet usually checks Mom's behinder

for tears and or bruising. Can take her temperature, listen to her

lungs and GI tract for gut sounds.

The foal can be tested for the IgG, they listen to their heart for

heart murmur, look for a cleft palate and give a listen to their lungs.

If you miss a birth, the foals poop could be lost in the stall mess

from foaling, so they might give an enema if the baby hasn't been

seen pooping or is straining.

For some if the baby is up and frolicking around, making it to the

milk bar, is pooping and peeing normally and Mom doesn't seem

distressed in any abnormal way....many do not have the vet out.

It does give a certain measure of confidence especially if it's

your first foaling.

Other's do it just so they have the information in the foal's baby

book for future reference.

Thank you Nancy! That is just what I wanted, and, as you say, I can see many reasons for both testing and having a Momma and Baby general check up. At least I will be clear about what folks are saying in the future.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back