Peanut Blessed me with a

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from someone who was brought up with Lassie on Sunday nights and Fury on Saturday morning, this is better than anything TV could bring in on the satellite! This is real wholesome family viewing, better than any other reality show the networks could come up with. What a perfect replacement for all the trashy garbage on there.

Peanut, you are a true beauty and you look wonderful. Cameron, you are a rising star in the south. Heidi and Skiff, you know exactly what you are doing and are a perfect example of what responsible breeding is all about. No one could have done this better. Wishing you many many happy years filled with the joy this precious event has brought into your lives.

Love from the mountain.
default_wub.png

Your welcome...

I should also have added that if the placenta was salvageable, the vet

can also check it for the owner, it's an additional reassurance that

they are no fragments left inside the mare to cause infection.

I 'think' in Peanut's case, Heidi would know, it looked as when she dropped

the placenta Peanut stepped on it and pivoted so it probably wasn't

a good specimen.

I get the vet out after my foalings. For me, as long as the foal is fine, it's more about the mare. My vet checks the placenta and goes over it with me, the mare gets a quick check up and then the foal gets one. if any concerns are raised during this then we'll look further.

It's peace of mind for me and some expert advice. I imagine a few years into this whole breeding thing I'll be able to do the basic check myself and be able to save myself a few $$.

Last year my girl was check at the end of the vet's rounds, he and his assistant were quite looking forward to the whole thing!
default_biggrin.png

Nancy the vet did everything you mentioned...you worded it better than I would have. lots of people may not have had vet out or IgG done because they have had foals and know what to look for in a healthy and not so healthy or foal maybe in distress. I didnt have a clue, I could have figured it out maybe but by then the foal could be dead because I didnt see the signs.Cam looked like he was drinking milk on screen but I could barely tell if he was swallowing anything and I was right there. how did anyone know if Peanut had enough colostrum to begin with..I didnt. Therefore i chose to have the IgG for piece of mind....keeping in mind that they are not 100 %. Yes he passed the menocosin (sp) but how about the next poops ... never saw any, should he have some, color, watery or more solid...I didnt know!! Vet wanted to see what poops I was able to collect. Thought the last one looked o.k but was told to really watch him and if he strains give another enema..just did, but he still hasnt pooped...but if he hasnt eatten how much poop is there even going to be...so now he's still straining and hardly anything came out of him except what I put in w/enema now what? :arg!

Ive had in my head that foals go down fast ...well having a Robin Marty,Diane or someone else that has had a number of foals here would have been wonderful.I didnt , so instead I opted for a vet. Peanut had some alfalfa cube mash for dinner along w/her regular dinner, I did not have any alfalfa for her to nible on tonight but will get some tomorrow. Still havent decided if mom and baby are going out tomorrow even for a few minutes. The weather may determine that and Im not sure I want them out yet but thank you for the suggestion.

Well Im off to sleep and will be up in a couple hours to go foal poop hunting in the stall. If ayone sees any distress please call...but even right now ..my eyes it looks like cam is straining to poop ...what is he trying to pop..he hasnt eatten!!

The placenta was salvageable he spread it out and there were no tares.

Boy, when she wants to Peanut can move better than some cutting horses I've seen. Some of her turning on haunches moves looked pretty darn good. Wish she would let cam do a little exploring on his own.
default_sad.png

I didnt see any poops for either one of them but Cam is very active now and nursing lots

Heidi, I think you were absolutely right to get your vet out for the tests and to check on Peanut - it would probably be good if it became the 'norm' over here too. There is nothing better than that 'peace of mind' feeling and having someone experienced tell you that all is well, especially when it is one's first foaling experience. I was just interested to know what the vet checks were about and what the figures of the test meant.

You know what a worrywart I am and, although we dont do 'routine' tests here, many's the time that I have called a vet out before a foal seems wrong, just because I think I have spotted a problem, only to be told by the poor vet that that particular foal had been on its feet for a lot longer than they often are, so now that it had actually managed to fold its legs to lay down, of course it was going to sleep longer than I thought necessary! (as an example!) Or a mare who still looks a little uncomfortable even after her pain relief etc etc.

Our 'new' vets in Wales are just brilliant, and several times a couple of years ago they seemed to live at my place during the night as I phoned in a panic over something, usually a mare foaling, but not as quickly as I think she should be - I never wait, I leave Cathy at the business end while I'm standing there talking to the vet - ours chat to us on their in-car phones while they are on the way. Once Cathy was feeling a foot and a nose up inside the white bag, and I jumped on the phone straight away. Luckily the vet was not too far away, but the mare got up and down and wriggled around a bit, and Cathy found the other foot on top of the foals head, straightened it out, no problem. Vet just laughed and changed direction and headed home - no charge for bringing her out of her way.

The year before we came to Wales I lost the first four foals of the season, the first was a red bag with a hopelessly screwed up foal that needed removing by the vet. The next two were born dead with completely twisted cords. Then another red bag on a maiden mare where the foal lived just 20 minutes in spite of the vets efforts - arrived just as we got the foal out. I was nearly in the nuthouse I can tell you, when the fifth mare went into labour. The vet was with me before she started pushing (summoned by my frantic call for help!) but at last all went well, a perfectly normal birth and a big bouncing bay colt! All my other mares foaled easily, but I will never forget the feelings of hopelessness and sadness over the loss of those four precious little lives.

So yes, I'm known as the 'instant vet caller' LOL!!

You are such a good Momma to your minis and I do so admire your attention to the smallest of details. You are going to have hours of pleasure with Peanut and Cameron, especially as you can now relax, get some proper sleep and have your life back to normal again. They are a very lucky pair to have such a caring and doting Momma.
default_yes.gif

morning all
saludando.gif
I apologise for being late, this village fair is killing me
new_shocked.gif
I am far too old for all these late nights. The horses were not impressed when I turned up an hour and a half late
no.gif
It has never happened to me before but I guess all this horsey watching is catching up on me. Heidi sweety have you had some sleep yet?

Peanut and Cameron are looking just adorable and he is a very smart boy to be sleeping on the soft hay.

Heidi I am going to be rude and ask why the lights are on? I think you should switch them off and then go straight to bed yourself
yes.gif
These 2 have to be the healthiest mama and baby of the year and they will be just fine in the dark.
yes.gif
All your hard work is evident bc Peanut looks fantastic and is an amazing mama.

Totally agree with Renee!! you are the best mumma to these gorgeous horses!! and your new baby FOAL!! :wubhe is gorgeous and photos?? well I know they will be here sometime...
default_unsure.png
LOL I'm sure learning the art of patience with all this watching LOL I obviously still have a lot to learn hehe

Congrats Heidi!! I did not read all the posts again...so not sure if you posted pics of your new foal, so can we see one (maybe add to the 1st post??) Please!!
default_yes.gif

These two are outrageously naughty, he is hiding under the cam and Peanut is blocking the view from the other cam by standing right over him
new_shocked.gif

Come on Peanut, play nicely and let us have a peak
biggrin.gif

she has been doing that all day!! I was watching and then was thinking OH NO THE BABY HAS DISAPPEARED!!! so I am madly watching my computer screen then I see him lift his little head then drop it back down PHEW!! Peanut,
default_no.gif
let us see your gorgeous BABY please!!

Now they have moved to the bathroom and he is eating mummy's poo
smileypuke.gif
it will do him good though, thank god we don't have to do that
smileypuke.gif

No pictures yet Riverrose, Heidi is very bad in the photo department, we will be sending someone over today to whip her
yes.gif

Cameron can gallop
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Heidi, he is just too cute for words. I would be out there all day! Look at the way he peeked at you from behind Peanut! Priceless, Karen

Good Lord Diane get in the car and go and take some photos, the waiting game is killing me.
new_shocked.gif
Oh am I be demanding ??
rolleyes.gif

OMG You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Hilarious, I have never seen mother and baby do that before
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Heidi has found the camera
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
no need to drive over Diane (you will have to find another excuse now)
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been on the computer all weekend so I missed this little colts arrival. He is hard to see on the cam but look wonderful of ehat I can see of him. Congratulations on his arrival

He really is just so cute and no wonder peanut was so grumpy - look at the length of those legs. Anytime I tune in to see him he is either stuffing his face or flat out snoozing. I would love to see him having a run around.

Latest posts

Back