Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh poor PG! Lol! I got confused on the beautiful little baby, what was its name? It is absolutely gorgeous! I love his color! I have decided not to clip. Cutting Peanuts forelock was enough! Lol. I am just going to let them shed naturally!

Okay here are before and after pictures of Lil Peanut! He does not look like Moe, maybe his cousin, lol.

At least he can see now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Who the baby is?

Why that's Cupid and his mama - Stuffy... LOL. He was born between 8 & 9 pm and this is about 9-10 am the next morning... Didn't mean to confuse you. And Cupid's daddy is my avatar pony.

All of yours look GOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh how I love my grand daughter! I was playing on the iPad this evening while she was playing with the ponies. We had the discussion earlier about the ponies wanting to go back in their sheds at bedtime. I looked up and she had opened the gate and they were all coming out and ran down to the neighbors of course! I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she was taking them to their other home! They weren't hard to catch but it was dusky and they ran straight down the road which has a small hill and a car can't see until you top it. Grandma must pay closer attention to her grandchild! Lesson learned!

Paula I could not tell because he totally changed colors! That is why I was so confused. He is just precious. He went from gray to that pretty light tan with a touch of shimmer gold. Those are my favorite colors! I don't know what the official color is called.

Okay Paula, I went back and read again. You explained everything perfect! You used experienced horse lingo! Dam means mom! Yes I am a bit slow at times. Lol. I am learning. Sometimes I say foal instead of baby! When everyone goes to talking about who was bred to who I do have to read it slow and try to gather my wits. Sometimes the names are so long I get totally confused. Lol. Everyone just be patient with me. I am going to get it. When I make an butt out of myself, just overlook it and smile please!

DON"T APOLOGIZE FOR LEARNING - you are getting it!!!

You must've missed the pretty detailed color posts I've done recently and that others have done in the past.

Patty - our very first shetland mare - was a light colored silver dapple. Quite possibly homozygous for silver - we only had her for a very short 4 years before she passed away. I sold her 2nd filly and her colt (born last) and retained (kept) Stuffy. We lost Patty before color testing was available for silver and tobiano testing was still done by drawing blood (I had several tested that way). Patty was solid colored like your "Peanut" (whom I believe to be a silver black). Part of the reason I LOVE "silvers" (mountain pleasure horse folks call them "chocolates" and the Australian term is often "taffy" - both of which fit the colors!) is BECAUSE of the color shade differences - throughout the year.

If our website was "up" - you'd notice that I try my darndest to keep "barn names" similar to the registered names of our ponies. That way, if anything ever happens to me (and yep, it eventually will), most of our family can match the registration papers to the pony who is wearing a collar w/ a name tag on him/her.

Here is a link to Patty's photo album. Sorry - but I haven't gotten the photos all completely in order - harder to do on Photobucket then in Picasa.

Patty's Gallery

Here is Stuffy's gallery.

Go to the last page (9) all the way to the bottom (grrr - they've moved pics again - her 1st baby photos are on page 8!) and then work your way forwards. You'll see Stuf goes thru some amazing color changes, too. However, she never lightens up as much as her dam Patty did or as much as our two oldest mares now that are homozygous for silver.

Here is Stuffy's Picasa gallery.

Stuffy has been color tested and is homozygous for black, heterozygous for tobiano, heterozygous for silver (EE, Tt, Zn). This means that she always gives an "E" to her foals and that that foal will always be black based (either black or bay) - never red (ee). She can give her little t or her big T for tobiano pattern - it foal gets "T", then it will be a tobiano pinto. If it gets the "t" it will be solid (UNLESS it gets a "T" from it's sire/daddy). The same with the silver gene - if her foal gets a "Z" and it will be "silver". If it gets the "n" - it will be either bay or black (would get the bay gene form sire as Stuffy doesn't carry bay).

They are so pretty. That photo bucket is pretty neat. I am going to have to look at that again when I have more time. You did really good Paula. You have everything dated and labeled who is who. I think that is awesome. I wish I was more organized. You know it made me think. I don't know anything about our horses past. No pictures of them being babies. Makes me a little sad. I guess I better get to clicking to make up for it!

Kim -

I've learned on photos~!! We were military - both hubby and I for a time, then I was a "dependant" while he remained active duty... While transitioning thru one of our moves, we had personal belongings in storage in "Fayettenam". The bank says our checks were cashed and I requested copies. While hubby overseas and I returned from a visit to my parents, I went to pick up some of the items we were ready for in our home - and our 2 storage units were empty and the locks gone. Owner, of course, didn't know what had happened... Cameras didn't go far enough back to show activity (??). Consulting with a lawyer, w/ paperwork showing what we'd had in storage didn't go anywhere - our "stuff" wasn't enough to even come close to what the fees would have been to fight and maybe recover our "stuff". The most irreplacable items were our photo albums (army, overseas, marriage, 3 new babies - old photos of our families) and art/sewing supplies - paintings, drawings, designs. The dvd's/comic books/breyer horses and knick knacks were black marketable/thrift store items I'm sure. Kids toys were replaced...

The on-line photo albums are great. We were storing photos on computers and then had computer "crash". Can't restore pics w/o either a hard copy to scan OR another digital copy somewhere. SO I now keep all photos on an external hard drive (they can crash too, though) and load what I'm willing for others to see into our on-line photo albums (have over 100 photos from the gelding party - only a handful on line - none of the drug or "gory" ones). Currently have MANY photos in both our PhotoBucket and Picasa (Google) galleries. I also now use a different naming convention for photos I save - year, month in letters, date, name & the last 4 #s from the photo. So a pic from Cupid now would be 15mar10cu***. The original photos are stored in albums on my computer for 3 months or so - then transferred to external hard drive. When I download a days worth of photos they go into computer in individual albums w/ my names on them - a download from house/property would be 31715house. If I took pics of dogs, family, chickens or ponies - the date would be first, then whatever I broke pics out into. Then computer puts them in alphabetical order by that - so I can see what I have starting with January and on down the list. I LIKE!!

I put names on them - cause no one else knows what/who they are - and I, too, can get forgetful... I figure in future I may be more so (O, NO!). Eventually, I will go in and re-name all the photos of the ponies previous to 2009 (the photobucket account) but right now have no time to do that... I can find what I need - most of the time... LOL.

So that you can see what we have - here is a link to the main Picasa Gallery. Currently have 61 albums open for the public to view and 3 that are private (no one but me can access them and only when I'm signed in can I). Most of those albums are of the Shetlands SINCE 2009, some family, events & the NC WHMA... Photo Bucket account has ponies that I went and dug pics out of from 1995 thru 2009, dogs, family and other items (lots of photos from Sierra's high school JROTC events - some video)... Soooo Now if we loose actual photo albums or digital storage at home - I have and can recover what ever is on-line and of course, it's out there to share more easily!!

Have to run - work calls!!

Here's a photo from our 2 daughters' prom - w/ 2 class mates. W/o "writing" on the photo - I would never have remembered the names of the 2 younsters on the far right...
default_smile.png

099MayPromMGP946.jpg

O, and we no longer have Photo shop to work w/ photos. Too expensive to replace right now for what I use. To crop and "write on" pics, I use the free portion of Pic Monkey dot com...

So did you learn all this photo stuff yourself or did one of your kids help you? I am not very good on the internet. Probably because I am scared of it. It is really a big step for me to be on this forum and sharing, but it feels really safe here. I actually bought something over the internet and I was okay with it. Very nervous though. A few years ago, I ordered a pool liner (wrong one by the way!) and a month later my bank account was hacked. My bank caught it for me. I had no idea that they had people to monitor my spending. They called from somewhere and had a hard accent, I could not really understand them. That was also flipping me out. They wanted to know if I had made a purchase at a online grocery co-op. I was not sure if she was saying grocery. I told her that my light bill was through a co-op. It was so hard talking to her. She said that they were going to kill my card. I was flipping out. It was a Saturday morning and I had no cash and could not get any! Monday morning I was at my bank discussing this with them (I love my bank) sure enough, there had been 3 purchases I did not make! It was on line grocery co-op. I was scared to death to click on anything after that! I feel better knowing that they have people monitoring my account (they are not here though, don't remember where she was from). I keep a limit on my card in case it is stolen. When I am making a big purchase, I just call and tell them to raise it for a few minutes, then it drops back down. It is not good if I forget, then everyone has to wait in line behind me while I call the bank! I try to shop only during banking hours. If I know I am planning on going or doing something I call ahead so I can spend on the weekend.

So that experience has me scared to click on any "accept" buttons or really any buttons lol. I only have an iPad. Computer crashed. Kids have lap tops but I don't use them. I crashed my husbands lap top. Got it fixed and he told me to stay off of it. Then the battery died and the plug in wire cracked. We have not been able to find the right stuff for it! I even took it to best buy (they laughed at how old it was) sold me the wrong stuff. I will get it fixed bc it has a ton of pictures on it. I am not in a hurry bc I know the computer works and my pics are safe in it

Your girls are beautiful! They look like they were having a good time! I loved watching all the kids at prom and homecoming. All the ones around here are country girls. They wear a sun dress from time to time in the summer. So it is fun to see them all gussied up. Boys too. My son wore a white tux and girlfriend wore a white dress. They looked like the bride and groom.

You are VERY safe here and we like to keep it that way. Never apologize for learning... even us old Aunties are still learning, so learning never ends. In breeding, if you think you know it all, you better stop breeding because you'll undoubtedly run onto a mare who will do away with your self confidence. LOL

The picture info is great! I also kept call names as some version of the registered name.... just made things easier for me. But your reasoning is very good!

Our daughters were tomboys with the best of them (didn't get into hunting but probably because we didn't do that when they were little). It was really cool to see them "gussied up". That year - they did their own hair, nails and make up! They were pretty awesome at it. 'Dira has designed her own dresses for some of the school events and Skye and 'Dira both were in Drama and performed plays.

All 3 grew up grooming, working ponies and horses. 'Dira showed dogs (eh! I had a hard time going to dog shows here in the south). Sierra was in JROTC - she was in the motor pool as well as on the drill team - and almost every weekend their group worked on their vehicles (THE KIDS got them running and kept them up with the CNL's help & some parents' help). Skye ... was in FFA and for a while all 3 girls did 4H. When the girls were in high school, we were only trail riding- not showing.

Larry and I both have somewhat of a base in tech stuff... I prefer the horses, LOL. I apply a lot of the "tech stuff" to the horses!

Technology changes so fast - it's hard to keep up with all of it. We actually do a lot of shopping and banking on line. Yes, we too, have had problems - but it's not usually from on line (I've had more problems using my debit card at stores that have then been hacked)... I have regular "catalogs" I order from via phone and online. Amazon is our friend. I miss going into Sheplers in person, but there aren't any big western stores here. Sooo, shop online - for horse stuff, for some of our clothing, I've found books thru several antiques sites that replaced what was lost in our "storage hiest"; have started finding other things online as well. USPS and Fed Ex are very familiar with our gate and property. Have one neighbor that is tired of getting "our stuff" dropped on his doorstep... LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Online photo albums - there are other ones besides Photo Bucket and Picasa. There is Flckr, SnapFish, Web Shots and Picture Trail. There are a couple of new ones out there as well, now. I don't even know the names of those.

There are also other photo editors.

As to learning computer "stuff" - several ideas... If there is a college anywhere around you - check what they offer in courses. Most will have to be paid for - but now and then you'll find some that are free of charge. If not a local college anywhere, then check with your town Chamber of Commerce - a lot of places now have courses for either ... srs or for women. There are also several books (and may be vids/dvds now) along the lines of "such & such for dummies". Many of those are good ones - especially for the basics. different programs will also have classes available to learn their programs sold with the set up.And then there are on-line tutorials as well. Not that much differnt than learning the horse stuff.

I had the chance to grow up myself with horses and soaked up all that I could when I could from all kinds of sources. I have not done as much of that with the computer stuff so there is a lot I still don't know
default_smile.png

I had to take one of the grandbabies to the doctor this morning. Look what I had when I got home! It is a little filly. We are all in love!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FABULOUS!!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!

What a beauty, and what a wonderful surprise for you and the grandkids!

Latest posts

Back