Patty is starting to get big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a difference. I am going to make it there one day! Yes Ryan, there must be a breakfast buffet! Lol.

I am enjoying a beautiful day! My son has been cleaning the horses pen. It is awful. Drying up now though. I went and bought some mats to put in their shed. I am just going to try using shavings on them. Maybe that will work better. The horses are confused bc they have been staying in the yard and not going to their pen at night like they usually do. The farrier came yesterday. He said that Patty looked good and that it was probably a combination of the muddy pen and being pregnant. I have not seen her do it again but I am keeping my eye on her. He told me that I had to watch Peanuts hooves more than anyone's bc of the way his grow. He said that they all looked really good. None of them were really bad. They are enjoying this beautiful day also.

How is the lovely lady ? Can we have some patty pics when you have time ?
default_please.gif

Here is Patty. I missed her all laid out. She was about to get up in the pic. Big ole lazy girl, soaking up the sun!

image.jpg

Lol. She was enjoying it!

Okay I have a question. Well I need some advice. I need to cut Peanuts mane out of his eye. How do I do it without making him look like one of the three stooges? I do have some thinning scissors. A little advice please. He looked like Moe last time I did it!

I made a post I don't know where it went! Yes Ryan, she was cute all laid out.

I need some advice on how to cut Peanuts mane out of his face. He only has one eye. Last time I did it, he looked like Moe , out of the three stooges! I have the thinning scissors but I don't think I am doing it right. The beautician told me that you after I cut it to use them just on the ends.

Some one help the little guy out before I get a hold of him.

I am also thinking about shaving them like I have seen others do. Are they special clippers?

That how I do Mine Kim, I trim a little then thin the ends with the thinning scissors. I only have one mini that grows a really thick forelock , are you talking about his forelock ? You could also cut a bridle / halter path that may help to decrease the hair off his eyes.

I don't clip my lot , but I know plenty of members on here do.
default_smile.png

Trim it almost the length you want, them use the thinning shears to randomized the ends and make it look more 'normal' as staggered growth. You'll do fine.... but you'd better share a picture of this 'hidden' boy!!!!

hahhaha too funny Patty trying to get up with that belly. nice that you had a warm day as well. mine was in the upper 70s today. Muddy but warm
default_smile.png

Ryan, I do not know any thing about bridle paths. I better leave that one alone. Ha ha! No telling what I would end up with. I am going to do it tomorrow. I will take before and after shots. I am going to do it kind of short.

I'm a little late to this party! Ryan, that "weed war" had me rolling!!

Here's some ideas, Kim, for trimming. In pics... The "model" is "Cupid". He is a 2010 gelding who has matured to 39+" in height.

Before pic:

12jan17cu59.jpg

I think she had fun with my "trojan pony"!!

13mar1cu435.jpg
13mar1cu436.jpg

13mar1cu437.jpg

13mar1cu455.jpg

13mar1cu462.jpg

So, all that was done, really, was grooming. His mane and tail have been combed out and about a 2 - 2.5" bridle path (bp) has been trimmed. Yes, after using scissors a clipper was used. In the pic above, the forelock hasn't actually been trimmed. Over the next couple of months, with several times a week of combing/grooming, his forelock is naturally trimmed but I believe she also went in later with thinning shears and did some thinning and shortening - not sure. Either way, his forelock has been shortened in a very short amount of time. This was done in March 2012 and contrary to popular belief - his forelock has not grown back in to the length it was previous to this trimming.

His dam is one of those ponies who never grew a "real" forelock and any amount of grooming/combing that shortens it - it takes forever to grow back. It's always "fuzzy" and sticks up.

This is May 2013 -

13may26cu053.jpg

This pic was taken in Jan 2015 - no grooming since June 2014 - when he was last ground driving as a pair. No growth of his forelock -

default_sad.png

15jan11boy885.jpg

Nothing fancy or extreme for grooming - just an everyday style. I DO like the bridle paths and will be going back to doing them on more of our ponies all year round. For my use, they are safer - allowing a halter and/or bridle to remain where they are put when a horse is haltered/bridled. When I'm driving, I often braid that forelock up over the crown piece of the driving bridle (funny though, don't have a pic of that at all!) and into the first section of the mane. It will keep the headstall from coming off over the ears.

and Kim - wait until Patty decides to scritch this way!!

07sep23PG76.jpg

PG was never completely body clipped and we didn't clip off or razor her muzzle or around her eyes. Our daughter did "hog/roach" her mane and forelock several times - usually in Aug/Sep as that was when she would be rubbing the worst in reaction to ... allergies, bugs etc?. PG would rub her eyes/face so hard on her own legs - she rubbed the hair right off of her skin.

You asked about clippers and clipping in one of your posts (prob on the main forum not here, sorry)...

Susan Harris - Grooming to Win is a great book going into detail on grooming. It does cover different prep styles for different breeds for showing along with all the basics. Good reading.

Clipping - general clipping for bp, jaws, ears and "feathers" - there are many clippers out there. More now than ever - heavy duty meant for body clipping and light weight, palm sized small battery operated ones (don't work so well on pony/mini hair). I favor the Oster A5 and also the Laube's. My Laube's (2 sets now) are so old they don't have the same names anymore. I received the one pair from an acquaintance - said if I could get them fixed, I could have them. I sent them to a Laube repair shop and paid a fraction of a new pair to get a new motor (wiring different in GE than in USA - they were basically fried) and service... I still have them after 15 years (they were 10 years old when she gave them to me). I have to send them back in again - over due for servicing & replacement of moving parts that I suck at doing.

ANd - that's what "Cupid's" do, isn't it?

and to make this part of your baby thread - Cupid's grand dam was our very FIRST shetland pony and she was also named Patty. I bought her in MT in 1995. I was on crutches, but she was winter/pasture undernourished and I was able to pick her up and set her into the trailer. there was no way I was leaving w/o her once we found her. I learned a lot about ponies from her and her 3 foals by our 2nd shetland, AJ. Stuffy, Cupid's dam, was our first Shetland foal and ended up being raised like an orphan - going to daycare with our 3 daughters.

And Stuffy had classic preggo - pending birth signs and then HUNG ON for hours!! We had her in a dog kennel under our carport right outside our kitchen/laundry room. We watched her and I kept going out to check ...

You will have many happy moments like these!

stuffy%2527s_son_cupid_043.JPG

Latest posts

Back