Pacific Pintos Miniature Horses 2013 Foaling Year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,
default_yes.gif
the mare that has foaled you can just enjoy her tiny foal.

The other three all have thin to thick colostrum, but not rock hard udders yet.

3am and all is quiet - of course I'm not watching either!!

Rainman is just stunning Joanne.
default_thumbup.gif

3.40 am and I am ONLY watching Rainman so I don't lnow what the others are doing
default_whistling.gif

Joanne I have just watched the video of his birth and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting it here on our pinned video thread. Your promt intervention looked like you saved this little guy, can you explain to the newbies how it went: Was he out of the sac when you arrived?

Did she lose the placenta when she stood up?

Were you watching or were you called by someone on marestare?

I think this would really help the newbies understand how important it is to be present at the birth.

Thanks

Renee

4.00 am and I see you doing a check, I guess you are not looking at the preggo girls
default_whistling.gif

Yes, that little guy is a pistol!! He's been galavanting all around the stall.....but then I may not know what I'm talking about, because I'm not watching Pacific Pinto cams either.....

Renee, how did you get to watch the birth? I must be missing something -- which is certainly easy.....

Don't know how to do anything there but get to the cams....
default_frusty.gif

Hopefully Joanne will post it on the cam thread she started for us -- especially if it was a "save" it's very important everyone gets to learn.

Last edited:
The video of Hope's birth has been pulled from You Tube. I am trying to find out why from Cherie.

I do think this would be a good learning experience for anyone on how close to death this colt was. The mare passed the afterbirth along with the foal and the foal was caught in an intact sac.

He would have suffocated without the sac being opened and stimulation started. I was seconds away from doing CPR when he took a breath.

Thank goodness for Mare Stare and a phone call. It saved his life.

If the video comes back on line I would be happy to post it and make some comments. Thanks for asking Renee.

Thanks for sharing this experience and so glad you had a good outcome. We lost 2 foals this way; didn't get out of the sac and the placenta was delivered with the foal. One was at 299 days and we were waiting until 300 days to put her alarm on, but she WAS on Mare Stare and no one called. The necrospy said foal was full term. The other one happened when my back was turned no more than 15 minutes, right after checking the mare and she was eating comfortably. I had 6 calls from MS that "your mare just foaled" but not one that said you mare just went down or you better check your mare. By the time I got there it was too late. Those two deaths (in 2008 and 2011) still haunt me.

I've lost two foals out of Shadow(2011, 2013) because she delivers the foal and placenta all at the same time. The sac doesn't break until she gets up and paws it. It's too late by that time. I was present for her 2012 filly and broke the bag. Both times missed the birth by 45 minutes. Lost our alarm in a bad storm and don't have camera yet. Next year is going to be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was before you found the Nutty Nursery Mary, you know that's not going to happen again.
default_smile.png

I've got one mare very close. V'd for 3 days. Kari stayed up half the night, I the other half. No baby and I'm on my own from here on out. Will update pictures on my topic later. Have to go take pictures.

Joanne, if you go to Magic Marker mini's, you will see a picture of Lakota's grandson, out of HMM Designed For Destiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 754 and Contessa on Cam 4 is yawning and bitting at her belly and she did flehmen once also. Hmmm, gonna keep an eye on her

Thank you. Several people said the same thing. Just changed cameras to just her.

I am outside feeding horses. Call or TM if you see something I should know.

Thanks, Joanne

My cam is still all 4 horses, which I think is good.

Contessa is being quiet again, standing statue-like, flagging her tail and doing a bit of wandering, but Fame has seemed a bit agitated on cam 1. She has been doing pacing circles around her stall, then some "pushing" tinto the corners, repositioning her "statue" look and back to doing circles.

Laota seemed to be the only one who's been basically standing around -- until Joanne just passed by -- but just did some serious butt pushes in the far corner. Now just wandering a bit.

they are all so far along, I don't mind watching all of them together -- especially the little Rainman who is sleeping.
default_yes.gif

Last edited:
Fame has actually created a circular pattern in her bedding with all her pacing!

Okay ladies -- we're not watching....
default_whistling.gif
so feel free to do your things!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back