Oster Clipper Blades

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
Good morning!

Where do you buy your Oster blades? Is their another blade that is better? I have not bought blades in years, but it seems now the sharpening does not last so long, so time to buy some new ones. Locally they are 36.00 per set
default_sad.png

Is this the right place to post this? It is for mini horses
default_smile.png

If you do a Google search for clipper blades and for vet catalogs you can find all kinds of places. I usually pay $15-$20 for them.

My preference is Andis blades. They last longer...harder steel I've been told by sharpeners.

Charlotte

Thank you Charlotte,

I had done that and got prices of 20 - 21 on them. I remember when Grosshill used to sell them and they recommended you have them sharpened when you got them? I was trying to avoid that I think.

I order supplies from Jeffers so will get them from there, they are 21 for Oster with them, not sure about Andis, I have used them in the past and not been pleased. Perhaps they have changed the formula for making them, seems everyone else has.

I will search one more time though, as 15.00 sounds good too:)

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you can use Andis blades in Oster clippers?

I have three different kinds of clippers (Wahl, Oster and....sorry can't remember!) and I would love to get the blades coordinated!

Hi,

Yes, I buy other brand name blades for my Double K's. I buy the A5's detachable which should fit several types of clippers. A5's are available with Wahl, Andis, Oster and others too and should interchange, at least the A5's do with the Double K's.

I do have a set of Wahl Clippers that has a blade that is not interchangeable with anything that I know of, it is one of those blades that has 3 settings, 10, 15, 30 I believe.

I will check for the ceramics, I have heard they are good. I have many blades, some old, some new but I had a horrible experience with sharpening them and the guy pretty much ruined them all. They will not hold an edge now or even cut to begin with.

I buy all Andies Ceramic blades and they last well. I get them from petedge.com Good prices and really quick shipping.

I gave up on having blades sharpend. Last few times most came back duller than when I sent them. Even the ones that would cut did not cut for very ;ong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the Andis blades although I will usually buy whatever I can get the best price on.

You should not need to have blades sharpened right out of the package... however, you SHOULD soak all brand-new blades in blade wash prior to using them. My dog groomer friend said that the packaged blades usually have some sort of coating on them so the finish stays new in the package until they sell... and sometimes this coating can make them dull a little faster. Soaking them in blade wash will remove the coating.

Andrea

Beth, I think PetEdge has the best prices I've found. I usually realize I need new ones though right when I need them LOL, like 2 days before a show. Petsmart has the in the dog grooming section - not always cheapest, but readily available.

Jan

I buy all Andies Ceramic blades and they last well. I get them from petedge.com Good prices and really quick shipping.

I gave up on having blades sharpend. Last few times most came back duller than when I sent them. Even the ones that would cut did not cut for very ;ong.
I get all my blades at petedge.com as well but I HATE the ceramic blades! Personal choice I suppose
default_smile.png
You can also check ryanspet.com they have really good prices and I always send my blades and shears to them to be sharpened. Never had a problem with them and I can't find anyone around here that is any good.

Latest posts

Back