Opinions on the Harriston Sale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I hope there some decent ones I can perhgaps buy or A Winter blanket OR Western Show hlater or all 2 :bgrin

Mini Luver,I will be bringing sheets and blankets.
default_wink.png
:

Grrr, I wanted to go so bad for the tack and blankets, but my Dad can't get the day off and my Mom has school, so I can't go... Anyone going by the Barrie/ Toronto/ Newmarket area? I'd love to hitch a ride, hehe. Next week any way, next week...
default_yes.gif
:

the Grays Auction is this Saturday Oct. 14th.
default_wink.png
:

Looks like 47 registered horses & 4 unregistered

Down from the usual 60 horses

Last edited by a moderator:
still a fair ammount of horses! whered you look this up Reble?

I have a copy of the horses for the sale if you would like the list?

email me at :::: [email protected]

default_yes.gif
: can send you a copy if you would like?

TO long of a list for here, but if anyone else is interested email me:

You can reach Gray's Auction directly at:

[email protected]

Just put "Miniature Horse Auction Catalogue requested" in the topic line of your email and then add a note in your email to ask to be put on their "emailing" list and you should receive future sales lists.

Note: As with any auction: buyer beware is the best piece of advice.

I'll be there
default_smile.png
I have gone to most of the sales over the past 3-4 years...I go mostly to socialize and to buy tack sometimes. Ive never boughten a horse from the auction..and I dont think I plan on it. Although..there are a couple nice ones that go through for really great prices.

Hope to see you there Lisa.

-Kris

default_smile.png
Well, today was the sale. WE were not able to attend as we were showing at the Walkerton Little Royal. So, how did the sale go? Good crowd as usual I imagine - although the weather was really crappy here this morning.

It is usually kind of a social day as well, as it is the last get together before the show season ends.

Hey Amy!

It went great. The sale prices were Really low on mares most mares except about 3 or 4 went for under 800 and 65% id say went under 500! Some nic eones in there to and most were in foal usually to loud coloured horses liek Leopard appy's and Nice Lined Studs. Some had even be ultrasounded. But all in all good fun day to catch up with people. Good Job Grays Auction!
default_yes.gif
:

Well we came South and got snow and lousy weather. Lots of tack available. Poor prices for horses if you are selling. People are still buying according to color.

KenBen

I agree with Ken. Lousy driving weather. Was there at 4 am.And got home about 10pm. Took 3 bred mares and came home with the same 3.Prices where lousy.
default_sad.png
Oh well they where happy to get back home in the arena to roll.
default_yes.gif
: I think this will be my last time going. I also got upset about seeing a mare that I noticed in the book was my very first mare.And when I went to the stall. Guess what.Right papers wrong mare.
default_sad.png
.What some people will do.

I agree with Ken. Lousy driving weather. Was there at 4 am.And got home about 10pm. Took 3 bred mares and came home with the same 3.Prices where lousy.
default_sad.png
Oh well they where happy to get back home in the arena to roll.
default_yes.gif
: I think this will be my last time going. I also got upset about seeing a mare that I noticed in the book was my very first mare.And when I went to the stall. Guess what.Right papers wrong mare.
default_sad.png
.What some people will do.
Oh WOW! That is so Urgh. Well things happen at auctions haha I was there for the tack! :bgrin

The sale prices were Really low on mares most mares except about 3 or 4 went for under 800 and 65% id say went under 500!

We were one of the lucky ones
default_wacko.png
: to buy one of the highest priced mares...and we weren't really looking. We also bought a yearling stud (that will be gelded asap as we already have our future herd sire and this guy was bought strictly to match him for a team, hopefully)!! We should know better...we've been to 4 sales and at each one either weren't planning on buying any horses or had something specific in mind and came home with something totally different!! We learned our lesson after the first sale and bring the trailer "just in case"!
default_wink.png
:

Be very careful if you are going to buy from the sale. I don't know how much experience you have but you need to know your stuff before bidding. Some good horses go through every time but many horses with problems also get dumped there. Hook up with someone who knows the sellers if you can as good breeders will put horses in there that they just can't keep over the winter. Don't believe everything they announce either.

This it true of almost any auction. The whole point of an auction is pretty much "what you see is what you get" no promises, no guarantees. This is the trade off for usually getting a horse cheaper than what you might pay in a private sale, and is not the best place for a newbie buying their first horse / pony unless they have someone experienced with them. Even with experienced folks... if a particular trait is important to you such as bite or size, you should check it before the horse ever enters the sale ring. The auctioneers are not the sellers. They usually have no actual knowledge of the horse in the ring except the card in front of them and its not uncommon for things on the sale sheet to be misread or misunderstood. (ie 34.5 becomes 34", registration application = registered, started in harness becomes broke to drive, etc)

Hello All,

Well since I started the topic I thought I'd better put in my blurb! I went to the auction, it was a nice day to get out, and see what an auction was like. I had intentions of coming home with a mare, but....... it turned out I am a huge CHICKEN and couldn't seem to bid!

Sooooo I am still in the market. I think the drawback for me was not being able to really get to know the animals. I am really big on temperment, and I felt a little unsure of just buying on the spot. I saw some mares I liked and in hidesight..... I should have bid, perhaps.... I even had people beside me nudging and winking at me to bid!

In conclusion.... I spent about $15.00 on legwraps, a hotdog, pop and a sandwich and drove 2 1/2 hours and yes, I am still a chicken!

FYI still in the market for a doll of a mare.... for an absolutely fabulous price!!!! HA hahahaha....

Take care,

Lisa

Latest posts

Back