Opinions on the Harriston Sale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-Cow-Gal

Reaction score
I am new to Mini's but have grown to love them. I am thinking about going to the Harriston Sale on the 8th of October. Can I have some feedback regarding this sale.....anything will be appreciated. I am looking for a filly or mare and I understand that caution must be taken in this area re: breeding status etc.

Any good or bad experiences to report???

Thanks to all that reply!
default_smile.png

HEY! Im from ontario as well! Im going to harriston ! But I am not buying a horse haha dont let me! Hoping they have a harness!

Hi Lisa!!!!

You should definately stay away from there you will end up coming home with a horse!! LOL :lol:

Pam

What time do the horses usually start? Are there many of them? I bet it is very tempting
default_smile.png
They are very hard to resist!!!!

This is their 21st. Miniature AMHA/ AMHR Sale

Horses start selling after tack around Noon, usually booked full limit is 60 horses.

Call Kim at Harriston Auction # is 519-338-3722

If you give her your email, she will send you a preview of the horses listed

Be very careful if you are going to buy from the sale. I don't know how much experience you have but you need to know your stuff before bidding. Some good horses go through every time but many horses with problems also get dumped there. Hook up with someone who knows the sellers if you can as good breeders will put horses in there that they just can't keep over the winter. Don't believe everything they announce either. I say there are plenty of good horses available from private sales where you don't have to make a split second decision. It is hard to turn your back on some of these animals.

I have been many times and have seen some diamonds in the rough sell for great prices but not everyone can reliably pick these jewels out.

The horses start selling whenever the tack is gone, no set time. They usually have about 60 horses. Give yourself plenty of time to check the horses out before the sale if you think you want to bid...CHECK THEIR BITES.

Yes I have some concerns, hence the topic..... I think I may be too " amateur "at this game to confidently pick a horse. I know what I like on the outside, but its what you can't see that worries me.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the input!

I honestly feel you should visit some reputable breeders... and FEW are at that sale as far as I know... I reallly dislike that sale... JMHO

We always go, or at least as often as we can, but mostly for the social aspect of it. It's a chance to see a lot of the people that we show with/against and actually have time to chat with them. We've bought a couple of horses there over the years and haven't had any problems to speak of, but I know of others who have had all kinds of trouble.

I agree wholeheartedly with Michelle and MaryLou about buying from a reputable breeder!! But it's still fun to go to the sale.

though I know of some reputable breeders who are bringing horses as they dont have enough room they are 100% healthy.

I go to the sale every year. My one day away from the farm.
default_yes.gif
: I usually bring something down.I have 3 mares booked in. All nice mares.great to work with. 2 had foal this yr easily.And a 2 yr old.I am only selling them As I am going into only PURE Falabellas and not the Blends anymore. But I also taking them because being up North area. People down south don`t want to travel up here
default_sad.png
.So I must bring them down south once in awhile.And yes you need to watch the horses at any auction.

All the advice you're getting is great. Myself on the other hand have made out like a thief on the buys I got at this sale! BUT, I knew/know what/where/when before the hammer fell.

I'm going too (OMG) but the trailer is staying home, that should discourage me right??? NOT

Kim

These auctions like Judy says are a social thing for Maureen & I. That said we do bring horses down at times as up in Northern Ontario I sell very few minis. When I do sell up here it is mostly colts. I will be bringing a yearling colt and a mare exposed to Westwinds Buck Offs Naked Truth.

I agree with MaryLou that I prefer to go to a breeders farm and there I can observe the horse in its own enviroment. You can watch the horses movement and behavior and check it out for physical problems and so forth.

KenBen

A newby should go very early to the sale ands watch the horses get unloaded and comming in. Then you can see the temperment and how they walk. And most sellers are hanging around their horses to answer any questions.And most don`t have a problem if you want to touch them. At least I don`t
default_yes.gif
:

I've been to three sales at Harriston so far (and am planning on going to this one too) and have bought a horse at each sale. I agree with those that said not to totally trust what is being said as the horse is being sold and also that the stated height of the horse is not always as accurrate as you'd like (bought one in July as 34 inch and when I measured her she had somehow grew to 35 inches in the trailer on the way home)
default_wink.png
: One thing I would advise is to not by a weanling sold with only the application for registration! I've just finally got papers for the little guy I bought last October, after alot of frustration!!
default_wacko.png
: This time of year there tend to be lots of good buys (horses and tack)!! Have fun if you go!

I have purchased 2 horses at the Harriston auction, my show gelding Cross Country All That Jazz, I bought him in August of 2005 and I am delighted with him. He is a lovely boy. This spring I bought a yearling filly

On The Bit Silk Lilly and I have taken her to 3 shows and she has placed at everyone in her class so I am very happy with what I have bought at Harriston and I will be going on the 14th, hope to see lots of you there.

Yvonne :saludando:

Anyone know if they had alot of Hanresses last year and what they sold for?

Anyone know if they had alot of Hanresses last year and what they sold for?
I don't remember there being alot of harnesses. I know that they were selling some harnesses in bags for alot more than what I paid for the exact same thing off of ebay!! I think the bagged harnesses were going for around $125.00 (a little more or less).

Latest posts

Back