Old German recipe from my childhood

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
A bunch of us were talking at lunch today about our favorite meals from our childhoods. I was saying how my mom used to make something called "iron pon" or something very similar to that. That is how I pronounced it, but no idea the spelling. My brother and sister and I all loved it. We were just asking each other at Christmas if anyone knew how to make it. My mom has been gone now for 6 years almost, so that resource is lost. My sister has her recipe box and it isn't in there. She must have had the recipe memorized. Does anyone know what I am talking about and if you do, could you PLEASE share the recipe????
default_eat.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Hmmmmmmm my mom is German and used to cook lots of stuff for us. That doesn't sound anywhere close to familar though. What kind of a dish is it?? Are we talking about a dinner dish or dessert, or one of their wonderful breads......okay, now I'm salivating thinking about German food. :eek:

It was like a pancake thing she would make for breakfast. I guess I would say a breakfast food. It would rise up and then you flipped it over.

My mom used to make us German pancakes....which came out a lot like a crepe. We would pour the batter and put thin slices of apple on top and then flip it and cook the other side. Butter and sugar on top.....and oh my, I'm drooling again! The "recipe" was really simple and you made each one seperately. I just tried to call mom and of course she's off running around! I think it was one egg, 2 tablespoons of flour and one tablespoon milk whipped together and pour it in a pre-heated pan....fairly large pan because you want it to spread out pretty thin. I'll check with mom and see if I have the measurements right. I'll ask her if there's any other type of "iron pon" breakfast food. Mom use to make apful kouchin(spelling is not right) which is a yeast dough with apples cut up in it and then there's a special pan they fry it in. Makes an apple fritter-type cake, we have them New Years Eve. This year I was working and whined about not getting any....she brought in enough for the whole ER gang. At first they were like "what is this???" and I said "just try it".....they were gone in about 60 seconds!

My mom used to make us German pancakes....which came out a lot like a crepe. We would pour the batter and put thin slices of apple on top and then flip it and cook the other side. Butter and sugar on top.....and oh my, I'm drooling again! The "recipe" was really simple and you made each one seperately. I just tried to call mom and of course she's off running around! I think it was one egg, 2 tablespoons of flour and one tablespoon milk whipped together and pour it in a pre-heated pan....fairly large pan because you want it to spread out pretty thin. I'll check with mom and see if I have the measurements right. I'll ask her if there's any other type of "iron pon" breakfast food. Mom use to make apful kouchin(spelling is not right) which is a yeast dough with apples cut up in it and then there's a special pan they fry it in. Makes an apple fritter-type cake, we have them New Years Eve. This year I was working and whined about not getting any....she brought in enough for the whole ER gang. At first they were like "what is this???" and I said "just try it".....they were gone in about 60 seconds!

Ohh...you brought back some memories for me of spending weekends with my German grandparents and having german pancakes...yummmmm!!!

My grandma also made the best apple streudel EVERRRR.....sighhhh (I miss her...she is still here...will be 98 in May, but has dementia and is in a nursing home now :no: )

My SIL took over her recipes, but altho "close", just arent the same...

Am pretty sure I have that one in my German Cook book. Let me see ifI can find it. Have been here three winters and have not gotten everything unpacked.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I was talking to my mom this morning and she thinks it might me "eier phan kucken" pronounced eye-er fan...which could be iron pan to a kid. She said in Germany they don't put baking powder in their pancake batter. She goes by "feel" approx 1 egg, 3 tablespoons flour, a dash of salt and "a little milk".

I hope you get the recipe you are wanting. I understand about missing loved ones cooking! My grandma made country biscuits that were out of this world! She taught me how years ago, but when I didn't have a flipper pan to cook them in, I forgot how to make them... she made them by scratch and taught me the same. Now, it is only a memory.

~Karen

I was talking to my mom this morning and she thinks it might me "eier phan kucken" pronounced eye-er fan...which could be iron pan to a kid. She said in Germany they don't put baking powder in their pancake batter. She goes by "feel" approx 1 egg, 3 tablespoons flour, a dash of salt and "a little milk".

I'll be giving that a try. My Grandma cooked like this too. She would always tell me to add this or that until it "looks right". Well, gee Grandma, I don't know how it is supposed to look this is my first time making it! Your mom sounds like one smart cookie and I hope this is it!

I had a German Pancake that was flour, sugar, milk, eggs and baking powder it was baked in a preheated cast iron pan and MANOMAN was that thing good!! Was served with apples boiled in simple syrup then cream was added need to find that recipe!! LOL

I live next to Germany and know these delicious pancakes all to well
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: They are very common in Europe (1 more reason to visit us some day
default_wink.png
: ).

They are translated: (German) Egg Pancakes

With Google you will find lot's of recipes. They can be made in all sorts of variations.

I found a lot of them here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,no_e...ancakes,FF.html

For example:

GERMAN EGG PANCAKES

1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla

4 to 5 eggs

Lg. pkg. frozen or fresh sweetened strawberries

Makes approximately 10 (5 inch) pancakes. Mix flour, milk, salt and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Let batter rest a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Pour enough batter in a hot, round pan lightly greased with butter, to cover bottom. Lightly brown pancake on each side. Remove from pan, spoon on strawberries and roll into the shape of a tube. Dust with powdered sugar.

GERMAN EGG PANCAKE

4 eggs

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. cake flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. butter

1 apple

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. One 3-inch diameter tart apple; peel, core and slice paper thin about 15 minutes. Beat the eggs for 1 minute. Add the milk, flour and salt. Continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Place the butter in an oven-proof iron skillet. Heat in the oven for 5 minutes or until the butter is melted and has coated the entire interior of the skillet.

Pour the egg batter into the hot buttered skillet; lightly sprinkle the apple slices over the top and place, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. The edges of the pancake should be ruffed up and the center fairly firm. The top should be a light golden brown. Serve in generous wedges with powdered sugar and wedges of lemon on the side. Serves 4.

:lol:

Back