New place, new name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Help, help forum friends!! As of 1 January 2016, we are living on the property my husband gave me as my Mothers' Day gift last May. I'll post pictures of the travel trailer we're in (while we rehab the house) next week when I get my laptop found and unpacked.

In the meantime, I need input on a new-better-improved-maybe the same-farm name. I've a couple of reasons for why this has been on my mind: I've been fighting the disease of PROCRASTINATION since early in December....including "Wish" in the farm name bothers me now when it didn't before. I'm also finding that it's difficult for people to say and I hadn't anticipated that.

I chose Dragon's Wish because I like dragons-a whole bunch-and because having the miniatures is the fulfillment of a dream to own and train horses. However, the "Wish" part ties in too closely to procrastination. Matter of fact, I'm working on a poem entitled "Procrastination". One line addresses the fact that procrastination is insidious and pervasive. Others point out how many people and opportunities I've lost because of it.

So now I'd like to lose the "Wish" and gain something ACTIVE. Something easy to say, that's fairly short and yet attention grabbing.

Yes, that is a LOT to ask for. I'm asking for anyone who offers suggestions for free branding advice, I realize that. I also truly respect the opinions on this site more than any others. Generosity and a sense of e'sprit de corps (gaaah I hope I spelled that right!) is what makes everyone here so special. It makes it easier to ask for and give help.

What do we do here?

With the miniatures; education about horses in general and miniatures specifically. Pony parties. Community events. Training begins 1 February for therapy certification. Open and rated showing begins mid-summer. More education. I'm also working with the local Extension Office to start a 4-H program like Mary Adams' On Target farm has.

The farm; square-foot gardening. SPIN farming is being investigated as an income source. Like Paula, working toward an edible landscape, although as I've researched the black walnut issue (see question on main forum) adjustments will have to be made. I've always loved roses and bosai, so they're being worked in now.

Sheesh, guess that's enough for 2016! It doesn't even include working on the house!! (Insert the emoticon with a surprised O face and hands clapped to each cheek here.)

I appreciate any suggestions and am looking forward to sharing our journey with everyone here. :) :)

If you haven't registered your farm name anywhere......the sky is the limit! Once you legally start a service or business with a name, you'll have to stick

with it or jump through hoops to change it......

Start with the word Dragon and play with add-on names.......The right one will "click"..... Such as -- "Mini Dragon Farm"....?

This a tough one Julie
default_smile.png

A couple ive thought of are :-

Dragons "dare to dream" Miniatures

Dragons "dreamland " Miniatures

Mystical Dragon miniature horses

I don't know if these are still copyrighted - Some of them are book titles, some are names taken from within the books. Think Anne first wrote/published Dragon Flight in 1968 (2 novellas that grew into DF were published in 1967). I first read it in 1981 - in a literature class, of all things!

Dragon Keep

Dragon Weyr

Dragon Quest

Dragons Eye

Dragon Faith (that might not go well here)

If you want to utilize names that were used in the Dragon Flight (Dragon Riders of Pern Series by Ann McCaffrey, now deceased but her son has continued some of the series), you might consider the Weyr names... The Weyr's are the homes of the dragons and their riders. The series is fascinating - along with how she developed it because in the later books, she goes over how the folk who originally populate Pern came from Earth in Space Ships. Those Space going ships became the "Dawn Sisters" orbiting the planet of "Pern" - the many generations of folk later that have lost touch with their background due to what happens on the planet they've adopted as their own!

I'm still looking for a list of the terms - what a time not to have any of these books handy! Well here is the Wikipedia list of terms - a good place to start. Not what I was looking for...

Pern

Southern Weyr

Benden Weyr

Igen Weyr

Isten Weyr

Weyrsearch

Then these are the titles of some of the stories written for young adults

Dragonsong

Dragonsinger

Dragondrums

HA - should have known. Gamers love the Worlds of Pern! Here is a description/definitions as used for the Gaming World... Haven't found the actual list of definitions I used to have linked on my previous website...

Wikidot Pern

And I'm now drawing blanks on any names as I watch this shower of ICE.

and I have your contact on my phone (always have) as Julie - Raeford Minis

If you use Raeford as the name -

Raeford Dawn Farm (a new beginning) (!!)

Raeford Rose minis

Bonsai Raeford

Rose Dawn

Dawn of Roses

Bonsai Rose (!!)

Bonsai Dawn (!!)

Dragons Lair

Have you considered having the word Dragon as the second word in your name?

To Madmax...placement of Dragon doesn't matter. As best I can determine, I was born in the sign of Wood Dragon in the Chinese zodiac. Gemini in the Western zodiac.

Miniv-I had pages and pages like those! Buuut...they seem to have gone into the "not needed" pile during the move.

Ryan-I like that Mystical Dragon! For me, mystical includes dreams, endless posibilities, and adventures full of action.

Paula--I always wondered if I would have been Searched. Would I have Impressed? Whatever would dragon lovers do with Anne McCaffery's series?! I thought about Dragons Faith too...and had the same misgiving as you. ;-)

I didn't want to include a location specific name. Even though we *plan* to be here permanently, you just never know.

Liking Bonsai Rose!

Dragons Dawn

Rose Dragon

Gee guys....I'd kinda hoped for more suggestions. :-( Usually name games get lots of input.

Here's another:

Emerald Dragon Minis (emerald is my birthstone and green is one of my farm colors) I very much like this one. It covers the fact that EVERYTHING on our micro farm is mini. Miniature horses, miniature roses, if I get active in purebred dogs-Jack Russell or Parsons terriers, square foot gardens and bonsai. Keeper chickens will probably be banties.

So, any other contributions? Final decision must be made by 15 Feb.

The 15 Feb deadline...several old clients have asked when we'd be *open* again and what events we'd be at. Surprisingly, quite a few people remember me doing things with Casper. :-D

Also, with the ASPCA currently having The Haven (one of the 3 largest no-kill shelters in NC) closed and the owners facing charges, I want to be ready to do fundraisers, adoption events, etc.

All I've ever wanted...really TRULY wanted....was a way to make a living that included horses. I don't really believe in coincidences. With inquiries and interest I want to be ready when the opportunities present themselves.

The 15 Feb deadline...several old clients have asked when we'd be *open* again and what events we'd be at. Surprisingly, quite a few people remember me doing things with Casper. :-D

Also, with the ASPCA currently having The Haven (one of the 3 largest no-kill shelters in NC) closed and the owners facing charges, I want to be ready to do fundraisers, adoption events, etc.

All I've ever wanted...really TRULY wanted....was a way to make a living that included horses. I don't really believe in coincidences. With inquiries and interest I want to be ready when the opportunities present themselves.

Perhaps I'll start a poll to see which one folks like better and find easier to say. :)

Latest posts

Back