odd thing to find in feeder...=-O

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkblazin

Reaction score
So I was doing spring cleaning ( even though it is snowing outside). And I looked in my feeder bucket, and found three white chicken eggs... So weird. I have found eggs in my hay but never a feeder.

Anyone else ever come across odd or bewildering things like this behavior before?

I thought it was really funny.

I have a bantam hen who lays her eggs in the oddest places...once she laid them inside one of my tennis shoes. I have found all sorts of oddities in feeders, no doubt from the hay bales or cow's corn silage. Nuts, bolts, washers, wire and plastic, balloons, feathers, bones antlers you name it. I do have a holstein cow who likes to collect things, a hammer or wrench left in reach, gloves and hats, gait snaps and chains. She plays with them then drops them in the molasses protein tub. Every day I find something in there, a corn cob maybe or a shingle from the bale feeder cover, ill remove it and if she can get it from me, she drops it right back in (after licking the molasses off first). When we clean the yard once a week, one person has to open the gate while the other sits on the loader, otherwise she opens the toolbox, steals the wrenches and drips them in the tub. The other cows like to pull the wires and hydraulic lines apart on the loader and it makes my husband soooo angry...and makes me laugh uncontrollably. They're a hoot, I love my cows, they're like dogs to me

20150321_171744.jpg

I had no idea cows were so mouthy. Funny that she just drops the stuff when she's done. I do have a mystery horse dragging my manure bucket around the pasture. Can't figure out who's doing it.

One of our little hens liked to lay in the bucket attached to the riding mower. My husband ended up putting some hay in there so she could have a softer nest. I guess she didn't mind that her nest was out-and-about sometimes!

I found a horse in my feeder LOL! Couple of the bars came out and she decided to make herself at home while waiting for the new bale. Was not fun convincing her to go back out though. She got a long lecture about not getting into trouble :p. Also find cats sleeping in our feeders a lot.

20140701_132209.jpg

11030203_10204938781607262_312659496_o.jpg

Too funny! And the kitty probably found the best spot on the farm. Does the feeder warm up in the sun, maybe he was nice toasty. And I can't imagine trying to get a horse out of a squeeze like that.

I only have bantums. I think there very crafty sneaky little ladies. I'm always coming across a new nest. One laid an egg in a bucket while I was holding it. :p she probably thought I was there to collect lol

Back in my big horse days there were chickens at the barn I boarded at. One hen in particular would lay her eggs in my stallions feeder and roost on his back. We named her S.C... Sams Chicken!

Melinda, I would have had heart failure if I found one of my horses in a feeder like that. My first thought was how did you get her out with 4 legs still in tact!

Well I def. wasnt thrilled with her adventure but she is really sweet and calm so I just backed her back to the hole, turned her and pushed her backwards through the hole LOL! She wouldnt duck her head to go back down through it so figured she came in forward so needed to go out backwards, worked perfectly.

I am so glad to hear she made it out of the hay rack safely. I would panic if one of mine did that. Today I was feeding the steers their grain and found lester's ear tag in the water tub. Who knows what we'll find next.

My favorite little hen, Cloe loved to lay in the hay baskets for the horses. I put them in the stall on a 5ft shelf and she would fly up and lay an egg in one. She would start fussing if she couldn't get to the hay basket when she needed to lay an egg. Horses say "this hay tastes like chicken" LOL! I miss her. The neighbors dog killed her one day when she got out and I wasn't around.

cloe.JPG

Candycar, I am so sorry to hear about your hen. I had a neighbor like that last year with a dog who ran loose all of the time and killed birds. Very glad when he moved the dog away. Its always frustrating to deal with nuisance dogs.

Very sorry to hear about your hen candcar. She reminds me of my barred rock bantam "Barbara". One of my favorites
default_smile.png
she reminds me of a mini t-rex. Especially when she's hunting/stalking.

Candycar*

Latest posts

Back