NSPR Registering

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
I was wondering comments on registering shetlands NSPR? I'm wondering if it would be worth the cost, what are your thoughts on the value of the shetland if there NSPR? My colt's sire is the only one registered and he's shetland but his dam isn't registered so its my only option. Unless anybody has any other registry's, he's also going to be registered pinto and possibly tested for the TT gene. I don't think he will make AMHR since he will most likely mature over 38ins?

Well NSPR as far as I understand it is meant to be a performance registry not a breeding one. It is open to ANY breed of horse 14.2 and under (again as I Understand it I could be wrong) as long as one parent is ASPC or AMHR reg and the foal is DNA'd along with that ASPC/R parent.

AS far as promoting a shetland NSPR again I dont think it would work well as a BREEDING program same goes with Pinto Assoc but there is plenty to do and will be more as NSPR continues to grow performance wise.

I wouldnt by a horse for my own personal breeding stock that was only NSPR or even Pinto reg only personally but that said we do have a 13.2 hand pony we may consider at some point breeding so the foal can be NSPR reg.

Last edited:
Well i was planning on him being a nice showmanship colt but also for breeding. I was wondering if he would have the quailty of a breeder with just NSPR papers?

You might get some "negative" feedback on this question.

Many breeders look down their noses at unregistered breeding stallions or horses that are registered with less-prestigious registries or papers.

Most breeders breed with the intent of "bettering the breed" and breeding the finest registered animals that they are able to. They desire to make sure that the resulting foal has everything at it's disposal to make it a marketable animal that will be valuable enough to prevent it from future misfortune (a registered animal may be ultimately less likely to end up in a feed lot or working some crappy pony ride, for instance). There are SO many inferior REGISTERED animals that to breed an unregistered animal just doesn't make sense. Particularly stallions, which should always be held to the highest scrutiny.

No one is going to say that your horse is inferior, or not correct, or not a nice temperament, because we haven't seen him in person and can't make that sort of judgement. But just because he is not registered properly in the first place sort of automatically makes him unfit to keep as a stallion in most breeder's minds.

Lots of puppy-mill or backyard breeders don't really care about registration or quality, and concientious breeders just get upset about that. They spend as much money as they can afford for the nicest stock they can find, and they put a lot of money, time, effort, and heartache into their business or hobby.

I don't have an opinion on the NSPR... I think it's a great registry for kids wanting to show the ASPC horses and have another set of classes they can do performance in.

For breeding purposes, the more easily a horse can be registered in a registry, the less prestigious it tends to be. If a "mutt" or "grade" horse can get papers, then the bloodlines are not as deep, and thus the whole point of the papers is sort of pointless. Papers are great because you can trace bloodlines very far back, but not if any old grade horse is in it.

That's just my opinion I suppose, and a warning to you that you might not get any responses that please you.

Andrea

LOL Disney while I agree... in essence our minis are a grade breed that is very easy to get into the registry(ok until last year with AMHR) so yes they have a pedigree but only cause it is easy and was easy to get them into the registry in the first place
default_wink.png
:

However again NSPR is not meant to be a breeding reg. It is for those that wish to continue to use there stock and be able to do more performance thus having bigger ponies to be able to do more with so if your question is simply would I be interested in breeding to or purchasing a NSPR only shetland my answer would be no

So more less point blank if i register him NSPR he'll be use less for breeding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he won't be USELESS for breeding unless he's a gelding
default_wink.png
:

Anyway, I don't think registering him NSPR is going to make him or his foals any more marketable to anyone. If you want to show him NSPR, then go ahead and register him.

But a grade horse isn't useless for breeding, you just have to realize his foals will not command as much money as a registered foal might, and people are probably going to be less interested in breeding to a stallion that is unregistered, particularly if their mare is registered, so you won't be able to get as much in a stud fee.

If breeding some type of grade pony is what you are interested in doing though, he won't be useless. But from your previous posts I had seen that you were interested in starting a shetland breeding program of some sort. In that case I would probably mare sure to invest money in breeding stock that was registered, so that all your foals could be.

Andrea

I hope i understand you right lol. Ok well i will be registering him NSPR and Pinto. He does have a good background from his dad which should help him in breeding. But no i won't leave him as a grade pony, i'm not looking to turn a profit on it but yea down the road i'll be getting registered stock since he has 2-3yrs before he is going to be a breeding stud.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks that helps me some what.
default_smile.png

If I remember right, you cannot register offspring of NSPR ponies with the NSPR. It is meant to produce performance ponies for doing performance not for breeding. So, you can register your colt with NSPR but not any foals he might have in the future. Your only outlet for them would be Pinto.

Another option (and the way i would go) would be to registry WCMHR. They have a pony division as well and all foals will be registered WCMHR. Its easy to find AMHR/WCMHR double registered mini's and most i see are AMHR/WCMHR if there not AMHA/AMHR. Its only $75 to register him into WCMHR and you could also show him in allot of classes, they have halter, jumping, driving, showmanship, obsticle ...everything that ASPC and AMHR has. Also there nat'l/world show is in North Carilina (or around there) ...so its not very far and there are allot of good horses there. You would have a WCMHR/Pinto registered horse and thats the way i would go.

If you registered him NSPR, those ponies go up to 14.2hh and i havnt seen any NSPR classes at any of the shows i've been to. It would be much more worth you money to go with WCMHR/Pinto
default_smile.png

MDM even if he stays under 38" you cannot register him amhr. I think we explained that in your other post that you got upset about us going off topic. You can only hardship a horse into AMHR that is already AMHA or ASPC registered.

Please keep in mind that you asked the question and I am going to give you my honest answer. If you want to be taken seriously you need to have an ASPC registered stallion that is the top of the top. A good thing would be to attend some shows and see what is winning and desirable. That way you can also meet some breeders that have been doing this all their lives and are very happy to share information with people newer to showing and breeding Shetlands.

As mentioned above the NSPR is just to showcase performance ponies. It is NOT a breeding registry. So foals from your stallion will be grade.

Also wanted to say I see your from ohio. You are welcome to come here anytime and see our ponies etc.
default_smile.png

Last edited:
Kay brings up a good point.

Your only about 1/2hr or 45min from the Taylor pony farm who is basically best of the best in shetlands. They have some really nice foals for sale at the moment that are ASPC and you cannot beat the michigan bloodline or horses in the ring, believe me ..i've tried!
default_smile.png

If you'd like to go over to Kay's and see her place we should be going over next month sometime, your more then welcome to follow us down or catch a ride with us.

He's very nice, if you really like him and are set on registering him with something and using him for breeding you should go with WCMHR/Pinto.

Also when i said its easy to find AMHR/WCMHR mini's i ment if you were looking in the future for a mare, i didnt mean that this colt would be AMHR/WCMHR. sorry that sounded really confusing, good luck
default_smile.png

I know alot about Taylor Pony Farm the father of Copper was born, raised, and sold to this breeder from them. Thats why he has Michigans King Pin in his lines which one of there hall of famers. Copper has Rockets pedigree which makes him a very incrediable colt no matter who his mother are its still in his blood. I don't have the money "or" time to go browsing at pony farms to see something i already know about.

A pony is a pony no matter what there registered with it doesn't make them any better than anybody else. I've met breeders and they agree its not about money or how much people "say" your pony is worth its about how much you feel he's worth. I don't need a super star stallion to look fancy in a show ring, it doesn't give you respect or anything because a peice of paper.

Another thing i do love GC's ponies, i'll save the trip KayKay if i want to go see some nice ponies she's down the road. I'm not saying i don't agree with you i do like registered ponies but not when people act like thats the only thing that matters. He will be a breeding stud but his foals "can" be registered if he's bred to AMHA, AMHR, Grade, Other Registry or ASPR. He will also carry his fathers bloodline down.

I He will be a breeding stud but his foals "can" be registered if he's bred to AMHA, AMHR, Grade, Other Registry or ASPR. He will also carry his fathers bloodline down.
I guess I am confused here or perhaps not understanding what you are saying. ANY OF HIS FOALS CANNOT be registered ANYTHING other then pinto or perhaps WCMHR if they are HARDSHIPPED or he is reg with WCMHR as is the dam.

I agree that registration isnt everything and there are many nice grade horses out there doing there job wonderfully as performance horses like I said Raven will be getting a grade pony this weekend a wonderful hunter pony who is kid safe and is good at her job HOWEVER just so you are very clear his foals cannot be registered AMHA, R. ASPC or anything else again unless they are pinto and are reg in as that.

I think that everyone is just saying if your heart is in the breeding aspect and marketing those foals then yes usually registration matters. If your heart is in enjoying your pony and breeding a foal or 2 to keep then that is ok as well.

I am sure at some point in a few years Raven will want to breed her grade pony. We will look for a nice ASPC reg pony and reg the pony NSPR at least that is the plan now.

Bottom line as long as you enjoy your horse and are happy with him that is all that really counts :)

Last edited:
Ok, these are the rules of NSPR. If Copper is "registered" to another "registered" mare the foal can be register ASPR. If "NOT" they can be registered NSPR or Pinto or both if wanted. He will be registered NSPR and Pinto, he also will be tested for TT. If i think he will be a good show stud i'll be using him as a breeder.

He will carry down his fathers pedigree no matter what he's registered with. But yes his foals will be able to be registered depends if the mother is grade or not. Both parents do NOT have to be registered to be NSPR or AMHA, WCMHR etc. The foals might not be able to be ASPR registered but they can still be registered. ASPR is not the most famous pony registry and it doesn't form the horse.

Showing, working, time etc.. that makes your breeding a good program and improves the breeder not because Snicker Ban Joe's is ASPR or somebody high primes in his lines. Alot of Buckeroo liners sell for way to much yes "Buckeroo" has a tittle but unless your horse does i don't see any real value. He has to work to own his own tittle to be worth what people say they are.

First of all i was not asking you to visit to sell you a pony. I dont have any for sale
default_smile.png
I was just inviting you to learn more about shetland ponies and have some fun here at my farm. Please ask "GC" who has helped her along the way. You might be suprised at the answer.

I was lucky enough to be blessed with wonderful breeders who taught me along the way. They spent their valuable time teaching me all about Shetland ponies and miniature horses. I always promised myself I would return the favor when I met new people. And this is what I try to do, and this is all I was trying to do with you. I FOR SURE do NOT know everything!!! But I do think Ive learned a little bit and I learn more everytime i visit with other breeders that have been doing this their entire lives.

NO HORSE is worthless and I never said that. But you asked about his breeding potential as an NSPR horse and I gave you an honest answer

This is for sure my LAST post on any thread you start.

Yea i'm sure GC has learned alot from breeders. But i won't just go to somebody's house for really no reason. If you want to teach me anything you can message me, pm me, e-mail me etc. There's many ways besides me paying $3 a gallon for you to tell me something you could tell me online.

I have said it before and i will prob say it for many years to come, i owe just about everything to Kay. She taught me to show and got me into showing and god knows i'd never been able to do it without her or Fran. Kay to say you 'helped' is very much an understatement, you dont give yourself enough credit for how good you are at what you do. Kay taught me how to show, clip, handle and allot of other things and Thanks is not enough for what she has done!

If i remember correctly, Kay learned from the best of the best ..Lowell Boone if im not mistaken (yes, the 'Boones Little Buckaroo' Boone).
default_smile.png

MDM if you want to come over your more then welcome but i have NOTHING compared to what Kay has and many other miniature horse and shetland people here.

I do hope you figure all this out!
default_yes.gif
:

Yea Kaykay seems very nice and wants to help but for right now i'm not really looking into much stuff since well one he's only a few months of age. Theres not much the little man can do, another like i said i don't have money to pay for gas or my time to make a 30min-1hr trip when i have people around me that i can learn from.

I'm not into big showing and its not my clear future either, neither is being a big time breeder. So i'll stick to online information i've got far on my own and i won't lean on somebody else for help its not who i am. I like to depend on myself to do the things i want and not copy over people.
default_yes.gif
:

Back