Registration of a mini based on height

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by plaid mare, Jun 29, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Jun 29, 2019 #1

plaid mare

plaid mare

plaid mare

MHT Supporter MHT Supporter

I would like to register my mini, as a mini based on height. Is this possible? I do not know my gelding's sire, or dam. My mini is 34 inches at the last mane hair, and is a paint with one blue eye. I realize that a gelding does not need papers, as a non breeder, or for most shows. Also, is a DNA test available to show bloodlines? If so, is it expensive? My mini isn't fancy, but I love him! Every time I look at him I wonder about his heritage. Thanks!

Cayuse likes this.
  2. Jun 29, 2019 #2

Minimor

Minimor

Minimor

AMHA does now accept minis based on size only. 34" at the last mane hair means your gelding can be hard shipped. There are fees--$300 plus DNA I think? Measuring has to be done at a show (I think--i am not an AMHA person so not up to date on the exact requirements). Once you have AMHA papers you can then obtain AMHR registration for $200 plus regular gelding registration fees.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    plaid mare likes this.
  3. Jun 29, 2019 #3

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

If you do not want to go the mini registration route, I'm pretty sure your gelding would qualify for the Pinto registry.
    I looked into DNA testing my mini to see if he was in the data base and was told they did not do that for horses with unknown pedigree. They said I would have to know the sire and dam in order to carry out the test (which sort of defeats the purpose, if I knew the sire and dam I wouldn't need a test). This was last year, maybe things have changed since then.
    I am sure my mini was registered and I even think I know who he is, but when I tried to track down the info the registery was unfortunately less than helpful.

plaid mare likes this.
  4. Jun 30, 2019 #4

plaid mare

plaid mare

plaid mare

I really appreciate your responses. I don't plan to show my mini,{I don't think he's that fancy]. The show mini's I've seen are quite something. The pinto registry sounds like a good fit. The DNA test people are obtuse! Don't they have a data base to glean from? So not a helpful company. I don't know what hard shipped means. When I went on the AMHA registration web site they asked for the sire, and dam in the paperwork. I don't know how to navigate around that. If they do accept mini's like mine, there was no spot or alternate paperwork that I saw. My mini does display behaviors that I have only seen in wild stock. They seem to have an innate way of being in the world that you don"t see in domestic horses. This is another reason I was hoping for a DNA result. I'm disappointed for both of us Cayuse! Thanks again!

5. Jun 30, 2019 #5

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Try going to amha.org
    Go to the home page and at the bottom of the page there are listings of forms for registration. They are highlighted in red. I just went to the site to look around and found a "hardship application" listed there.
    Hardship applications are for those minis who are not registered or whose papers are lost that meet a certain criteria.
    Hope this helps :)
    I'd definitely do the pinto registry if you can. Lots of shows have Pinto/Paint halter classes.

plaid mare likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2019 #6

plaid mare

plaid mare

plaid mare

It was so nice of you to go out of your way to find that information for me! I will follow up with all you suggest, and let you know how I fare. Than-you so much! People like you are a blessing!

Cayuse likes this.