Normally I would not post about this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart goes out to you. This is absolutely devastating. I am so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss...Michele

want to thank you all for listening.... Again, usually I handle these situations fairly good.... but Miss Jewels was my absolute doll with a HUGE sweet personality that she always passed on to her foals. I have her 2009 & 2010 foals that were filly's. Those two will live with me until they pass. I don't think I could ever sell them. Her daughter from 2009, is literally a carbon copy of her mama! All the way down to the one blue eye, one brown!

I am so sorry, you must be devastated. I send you my love and prayers and Thank you for finding the strength to share this with us.

So sorry you lost your mare, that was a bad way to go, but at least you did all you could for her and were there for her the whole way.

I had a friend took her mare in that was acting off, the vet ultra-sounded, and her uterus had ripped front to back and the foal was in her abdominal cavity at 8 months. It was one of those one in a million chances. The mare was going septic so they put her down.

I am so sorry. I think this situation is any breeder's darkest nightmare. At least you were there for her when she needed you and have her two beautiful daughters to carry on her legacy.

I can't imagine ever going thru that. But she was very lucky to have someone as devoted to her as you there for her. So sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry that you experienced every breeders worst nightmare. To me it is like a horrible car wreck. You do everything by the book and are as careful as possible, take every precaution and somethimes the absolute worst happens. It is just a terrible, terrible accident - in this case of nature. I'm sad to say that I know totally how you feel and as we are just this weekend dusting off our breeder alert and camera systems for the upcoming 2011 foaling season, in the back of my mind, I know the dangers that we are going to face over the next few months, and even with every precaution, I know we can be involved in a foaling wreck, perhaps minor, perhaps major or perhaps fatal for one or both. Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your precious mare and foal - you did everything possible.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear this! I can only imagine how you feel.

Take care, you did the best you could for her.

Beth

Foaling season brings amazing highs but as you have had to experience, it also can bring heart wrenching sadness. I am so sorry you have had to experience this and pray you will never have to endure it ever again.

I am so sorry for the loss of first your foal, then your beautiful mare. Thank you for sharing those photos. She was so very lovely, no wonder you wanted to breed her...her foals are gorgeous as well and thank goodness you have her legacy to help heal your heart. The person I bought my first mini from, Stacy Score of Mountain Meadows, was so careful to impress on me the dangers of breeding minis. I am forever grateful to her for her mentorship. However careful you are, there are those "wrecks" as Getitia said. I wish for you peace; there really was nothing more you could do.

(((((HUGS!!!)))))

I am so very sorry that you experienced every breeders worst nightmare. To me it is like a horrible car wreck. You do everything by the book and are as careful as possible, take every precaution and somethimes the absolute worst happens. It is just a terrible, terrible accident - in this case of nature. I'm sad to say that I know totally how you feel and as we are just this weekend dusting off our breeder alert and camera systems for the upcoming 2011 foaling season, in the back of my mind, I know the dangers that we are going to face over the next few months, and even with every precaution, I know we can be involved in a foaling wreck, perhaps minor, perhaps major or perhaps fatal for one or both. Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your precious mare and foal - you did everything possible.
Exactly. My heart wouldn't be able to take it, so I stopped breeding my two mares. It was too scary to think of the possibilities. I just can't imagine the heartbreak. My heart hurts just hearing of it happening to someone else,
default_no.gif
and it squelches any temptations that rise to breed my girls again. I decided if I ever need another horse, I'll protect my heart and buy a foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nightmarish experience. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
{{{HUGS}}}

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry for your loss.I have been there so many times.I really miss the foals, but after 20 years of breeding I just decided to lessen my stress load.In 20 years I NEVER had 1 year that I didn't have at least 1 mare abort or have a foal born dead or a dwarf or have to put down a mare due to a severe distocia.I kept reading on here about all the people that never lost a foal or mare and decided I was getting their share.I had monitors on halters, mares on camera and slept in the barn to be close. 1 year I was there every night for over 8 weeks straight.the last few years I sent my mares out to a foaling facility- even then I lost some.My mares were hand bred so I was sure of foaling times(the mares don't read the books and I tried reading the foaling charts to them, but I guess they didn't pay attention to me).Breeding Minis is not for the faint of heart and IMO it is much more difficult that breeding full size horses(been there-done that-only 1 loss in 10 years due to very poor condition of mare coming back home from stud farm)My last foals were in 2007 and I still get to see them and I get my FOAL FIX from this site.Again I am so sorry for your loss.

Back