New to the world of minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimee005

Reaction score
I guess I can post this here, lol...

Hi.... Im new to the world of mini horses and want to learn as much about them as possible. My husband and I just inherited 150 acres of land here in South GA. and Ill be getting my first mini in about a year. I cant wait, Im so excited!
default_smile.png

We currently breed chickens, turkeys, pheasants, and soon... waterfowl. We haven't moved onto our new land yet but as soon as we do Im going to start getting a paddock and barn ready for my first mini.

Any tips would be so helpful...
default_biggrin.png

Hello from Colorful Colorado! Glad you are joining the wonderful world of equine! They sure are alot of fun and bring enjoyment to the lives of many!

Hi!
default_saludando.gif

Congrats on the great inheritance
default_aktion033.gif

You've come to a great place.

While we only have 1 mini named Saber we have Great Danes that are his herd
default_biggrin.png

Saber's best 4 legged friend is a Great Dane named Rooster.

default_aktion033.gif
At the age of sixty I got my first, and at sixty one my second. Think of what you might want to do with one. For example, a pet, show, cart, therapy,etc. Spend time with them. Ask someone near you, may you visit on a regular basis and walk and/or groom one. I just wanted to learn and be around. I was lucky to find Lyn Jacobs near me. She let me visit her place at will, and groom and walk a mare. When mare had fold, it was love at first sight. I did not care about conformation, etc. I knew he would be my therapy. As I learned more, I got a second, who is show quality, and the two love each other. I hope to never seperate them.

This worked for me! I so enjoy and still learning. Good luck.

lildrummer

Welcome!

Oh believe me, you are going to LOVE these little horses! i don't know how I did without them for all these years.

I suggest just keep reading as many posts as you can on the board, google as much as you can. I love to research my interests, so reading everything I can grab really helps.

From what Ive read so far minis do seem like awesome little horses and thats the reason why I chose a mini over a big horse, lol. But I know big horses can be cool too.
default_smile.png

Right now I only want one as a farm pet. I dont really know much about showing, driving, or anything such as that. Im a house wife who takes care of chickens all day and I think a mini horse would make an awesome companion for me.
default_biggrin.png

Maybe once I get more experience w/ my first mini I will consider looking into getting a show quality mini. I dont know...

I would really love a palomino gelding because when I was 15 I took riding lessons for4 a year on a palomino gelding named D.J. and absolutely loved him. I cried when we moved and I couldn't see him again.
default_sad.png

Welcome from Connecticut! I have had horses for many, many years but only got into minis in 2004. You will just love them. You came to a good place to learn about them. Check out the Best of the Forum, and also check out members' websites - there is often a link in the signature. Some websites have lots of information on minis, and they all have pictures! Think about what you want to do with your mini(s), and there are probably a lot more choices than you think! If you haven't already figured it out, they are like potato chips and it is very hard to have just one mini.

Good luck.

Hello
default_saludando.gif

Welcome to the world of miniatures. I am sure that most will agree with me that minis are wonderful. They also are like potato chips. You just can't have one.
default_biggrin.png

I also am from Georgia. I live in the north east. About 60 miles north east of Atlanta. If you ever are up in my neck of the woods you are always welcome to stop in and visit.

Good luck in your search.

Hello
default_saludando.gif

Welcome to the world of miniatures. I am sure that most will agree with me that minis are wonderful. They also are like potato chips. You just can't have one.
default_biggrin.png

I also am from Georgia. I live in the north east. About 60 miles north east of Atlanta. If you ever are up in my neck of the woods you are always welcome to stop in and visit.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks... Ill have to come visit some time. LOL...
default_smile.png

I dont know of anyone around here who owns a mini. So if any of you are around the south GA. North FL. area please let me know.
default_smile.png

Welcome! It's good to have you here
default_smile.png

Minis are THE best!
default_wub.png

And there's no better place to learn about minis than Lil Beginnings! There are many wonderful people here!

Hi and welcome here from Virginia
bye.gif

You will find a lot of nice people and good advice here
yes.gif

As you get your barn ready, plan for more than one stall. Not many people have "just one" mini for long
default_biggrin.png

lol... I was told the same thing about ferrets, that they are like potato chips and sure enough 7 years after adopting my first one I have 6!
default_smile.png

Thank you Alison, Ill have to check to see if there are any shows near me in the near future. Don't be surprised if I send you an email w/ a bunch of questions, lol. Also, Joker is beautiful!! I love his color!!!
default_wub.png

Welcome, it's good to have you! Wow, what a great inheritance!!

I looked at your design work because that's what I do too. Nice logos!

Welcome, it's good to have you! Wow, what a great inheritance!!

I looked at your design work because that's what I do too. Nice logos!
Thanks... I just do it for fun, if a person wants to pay for it I normally charge like $5 per banner and $10 per BG, lol. Its mostly bands who want work done but Id love to do stuff for mini horse farms or something like that.
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome here from Virginia
bye.gif

You will find a lot of nice people and good advice here
yes.gif

As you get your barn ready, plan for more than one stall. Not many people have "just one" mini for long
default_biggrin.png
I found a barn plan w/ 2 stalls a tack room and a loft. its about 480 sq. ft. w/ a loft space of about 324 sq. ft. do you think that will be enough or is that too much for a mini?

Oh, I don't think there's such a thing as too much room for a mini
default_smile.png
Just thinking about how most of us start with "one" and have a small herd before long. They are just so much fun that it's hard to resist
default_yes.gif

Regarding the loft space, for safety reasons (fire), you probably will not want to store hay in the same building where the mini(s) is/are stalled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the loft space, for safety reasons (fire), you probably will not want to store hay in the same building where the mini(s) is/are stalled.
Okay, Ill put that into consideration too... thanks.
default_smile.png

Congrats on your inheritance and welcome to mini world....

Lil Beginnings INFO pages are great for beginners. You can search for about anything here on threads. It is a great place to learn.

default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back