New to Minis and this forum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTCgal

Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope I don't start off on the wrong foot but I decided to join this forum because I figured where better to get information than from a group of people who really know:) I've got 4 mini horses a stallion, two mares and a week old colt. This last year and one half has been my first experience with mini horses and I've read alot and talked to my vet as much as they have time for but I find alot of contradicting information and am constantly worried that I'm not doing something because I don't know I'm supposed to. So I was hoping you guys could give me some basic information and maybe even ask me some questions to help me figure out if I'm on the right track! TIA

Welcome to the forum from CT! You will get lots of advice on here and we won't always agree because sometimes there is more than one "right" way to do things. The "search" function (upper right hand part of screen) is very useful.

There is some basic information on minis on our website (link in my signature below) plus we have a new section for our 4-H Club with pdf files I made up for the 4-H members. That might get you started anyway.

WELCOME to the forum! Yes, Miniature Horses definitely are a satisfying "hobby"!! I think rather than us asking you questions, it would be more beneficial to you to ask questions that you have, to members of the forum. And...just like what you've found elsewhere, even ampngst members answers here, you will likely get a varying response. There are often no "cear cut" answers, as many times there are just some things that work better for some than others. But that said, one thing's for sure, and that is you will find MANY, MANY friendly people here, all willing to share their experiences with you and provide help in whatever way possible.

Welcome to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

Lil Beginnings is THE best place in the world to ask questions and learn about minis! The people here are great and have many years of mini experience.
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone:) I quess my first questions would be about the baby he and momma are in a stall right now at our carriage company which is in a city. I'm wondering how long I should wait to trailer them to get them out of the stall and into the pasture. And what should I do while he's in the stall to help him develop. The stall is 12x11. Thanks:)

How long a trailer ride??

ETA: Assuming it is a relatively short trailer ride (not hours and hours) and you have a safe way to trailer them and a safe place to take them I would move them ASAP. That was a lot of qualifiers though!! I have had to trailer mares and foals to the hospital and we always use a trailer with an open "stall" that is foal-proofed, no halters on anyone to get caught on.

And can we see pictures, please...... we LOVE pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!!

I'd move them asap assuming it's not across the country and the trailer has a box stall where the foal can lay down. He needs to get some exercise.

Again, welcome!

The trailer ride would only be about 20 minutes we have an open stock trailer that we can close 1/2 off. what else should I be doing with the little guy? Thanks again everyone:)

Not sure how to add pictures... but pic is my avatar.

Agree, getting him outside asap is a good thing but before you move them, be sure your pasture is mini-friendly. Little foals are capable of getting under/through plenty of fences. Be sure bottom rail is low enough and spacing small enough to contain them. Also seems obvious, but lots of places set up for big horses have feeders and waterers hung too high for minis. They will need, in a nutshell, good safe fence, a shelter of some kind from weather, and a clean source of water. Will they be the only horses out there? Any predators to be concerned about? A lone mini foal is pretty small and vulnerable at first to roaming dogs, coyotes, etc. We like to keep our foals where we can keep an eye on them even while they are out. Just like any baby, they have a great capacity for finding trouble lol.

They should have no problem with a 20 minute trailer ride. Have fun with them.
default_smile.png

Jan

They should be moved right away. I agree with Jan, the fencing needs to be SAFE! I had a 3 month old colt try to crawl under and get stuck under a fence that only had a 4" gap!

Agree with all the above.

Where are you located? Tell us more about your Minis (and you)?
default_smile.png

Welcome to the Forum from sunny Arizona. I agree, time for mama and baby to go out and play!!

I'm located in Charleston SC. My minis are unregistered just pets for my little ones. I have five kids and a carriage company in Charleston. We love our minis and I think we probably spoil them rotten:) I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Welcome to the forum!!!! Great place to learn everything about minis!

Welcome! I was new to minis 3 years ago and have learned so much from this place! In the beginning, it was overwhelming! Between the huge amount of information I needed to learn (having never owned a horse before!) and the fact that so much information contradicted other information. I finally found my way through to my own set of "rules" that work for me and my horses. Some things are pretty standard and are the same across the board. That's the stuff you just run with. The rest? You just have to pick through until you find what makes sense for you.

Latest posts

Back