New Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha,

I've been wanting to comment here for the longest. THANK YOU for sharing your entire journey with us! It takes a brave person to share on the internet.

I admire your willingness to honestly assess your horses and yourself. You let go of one you just didn't connect with, and that takes GUTS.

You've listened and absorbed what your trainer said. I very much like that every session you review what went well and what needs improvement.

Again, thank you.

We got to go out again. I only ground drove a few circles before entering the cart. He was startled by cows on tge drive but reacted appropriatly. I think he will be one of those horses that can be taken out of a pasture and driven safely. I am noticing that he behaves better when I do not fondle and love on him; he reverts to the spoiled behavior then. The trainer warned me about that. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Took Rowdy to the trainer's yesterday for a drive. It was the first time she had seen him with the cart and she was thrilled with his progress. We both rode in the cart and practiced getting in and out with a good "stand". She set up some cones, and I tried to do the cones, keeping my tire patterns consistent, but didn't do that too well! He needs more work on circles, but he was definitely more relaxed in the turns.

It was so nice to drive by big trash cans and noisy equipment and not have to be alert for a bolt. I believe we will have happy driving for many years.

When I got home, I called the woman I got him from to tell her how well he is doing. She had him from a foal and through her good and bad times carried him around with her. She got into drugs and couldn't keep him anymore, so that is how she came to sell him to me. She never taught him anything, but he never had an unkind word or action so he is super friendly and happy with people. I wanted her to know that he is doing well.

We were doing so well, then yesterday was terrible. I took him to town to drive with my sister. He did alright at first, but by the end of the 2 hour drive, he said he had enough and began to have tantrums. He would not listen to my cues. We did get back to the trailer safely but I will be going back to ground driving for a while. The trainer thinks it is because he did whatever he wanted for 6 years of his life, and the tantrums helped him get his way so it is a habit with him. We will have to continue to work to develop his new habits. Also, I had lost my favorite whip and was using one I'm not comfortable, with so my cues may have been less defined. He is basically a very good boy, so I am sure we can work through it. But I was pretty discouraged yesterday.

One good thing, there was no bolting. His tantrum was backing and pivoting to evade.

Latest posts

Back