New Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked Rowdy up today and I am so pleased. His eye is soft and gentle, he is relaxed and composed. We spent about 2 hours ground driving and I walked along, observing. This is good for me as one sees many different things from the side than just from the back. He has been very happy there; I sort of felt bad taking him away.

She said he is definitely ready to go in the cart, though I should ground drive him a few times first.

I have some handling tips to keep him from reverting to the spoiled brat and intend to follow them.

He doesn't mind cows, snarling dogs, loud vehicles and has enjoyed the company of dwarf nigerian goats.

She rather hated to see him leave and was full of compliments on what a good boy he is. She says he should give me many years of driving pleasure.

O, Marsha, that is so awesome (on the 22 December post) - I'm so happy for you! I know that you've looked for a while for the next "perfect partner".

OOPS - well - let us know how it goes from here on out.

Between ice storms, power outage challenges, and now we are knee deep in mud, it's been hard to follow up on his training. Hoping to get back into some kind of routine soon. We did go for a walk recently, just to get his feet out on dry, solid ground for a bit. He remembered some of his lessons, but we had trouble also. There is so much traffic on our little rural road now because of a bridge closure, it is difficult to work; if I ask him to do something because a vehicle is coming, there isn't enough time to make sure my command is followed properly. And the road is the only dry spot right now. Even our pond is overflowing again, right through the horse motel. (Definitely have that on the list to move--but where?? It's a mess.) After several years of drought, we are just not used to all this wet stuff.

Many horse folk never get to work with their horses in the winter, so I should not feel impatient. I need to wait for better conditions so we can set ourselves up for success.

Finally got to ground drive yesterday. We worked in the pasture, which was like moving in, what I image, a sphagnum marsh. Water is still running freely across the property but I found the higher ground with some boulders and trees to do circles around. It was rather weird, wading through the watery pasture. Clear and clean water flowing over the grass, except where we tramp alot and had made mud.

Rowdy was resistant at first and I had to bring him out of a few twirls. If I was very focused and stern and stalled the twirl with a good smack before he got started we did better. We did circles, half halts, and stands for about an hour. About half way through he was doing great. I feel confident he is on the way to acquiring his new good habits.

More snow moving in later in the week, but hope I can get him out again today. And maybe it will be dry enough to rake some of the mud off them. Trimmer was here last week and I was embarrassed for him to see them. What a mess it's been. But hey! the days are getting longer now, right?

Just got an email from Pat Elder of Rosa Roca training. She has my former horse Ranger in training. He is back to his registered name of Cowboy and is doing great. Expect to see him on the show circuit this year! Great example of matching a horse and owner; sometimes there is someone better for a horse than I.

Marsha -

I think it is awesome that you recognized that you and Ranger just weren't going to work out together. And it's great to hear that he's going on and doing other things, too.

One of the reasons that I didn't do well as a public, for owners, horse trainer is I've found that over the years I like a specific personality of horse or pony. While I can still work with some of the others, it takes longer for me (no 30 day wonders here!) and that was problematic with the owners. Then, too, I didn't like taking someone's "problems", fixing them and sending the horse home after working with the owner as well and then finding out a few months later that the horse is right back to his/her old bad habits. Often, it's due to the owner not working with the horse (time under saddle, wet saddle blankets, time in harness, mileage) - the horse goes back to what was previously set long before the training I did. Worse, is finding out the horse had reverted from someone else or overhearing someone who didn't know who I was saying nasty things about the training the horse had received BUT after going home the owner hadn't touched the horse!

I have two horse trainer acquaintances that often get horses in every spring for a "tune-up". The owners know that their horse(s) need that "tune-up" after going for several months of no work/schooling. After a 15-30 day work with the trainer, they go home and are fine - all spring, summer & fall. The owner(s) are smart and they get to enjoy their horses - after the "tune-up".

I even have found with the ponies I have, that sometimes temperaments haven't worked. And in some that passes along to the foals, no matter who the sire is.

The one mare that I purchased with a sucking filly at her side - her daughter as a weanling was flighty and hard to deal with. As a yearling, she wasn't any better - I sent her out to be trained and shown and she at least got better about some things and did OK in the ring (she was a late foal and didn't show well as she looked like a baby while others looked mature). When the filly came home, she was no better really and VERY over-reactive the more I worked with her. I hated it and began to really dislike her. In the meantime, with help, we'd gotten her dam started in harness. I never did trust her by herself OR much when was by myself - but as a pair she did OK. She seemed to depend on her "partner". I was OK with that. We'd done a lot of ground work with her, she was fine with having legs/hooves handled AND since she was a digger - she often had either cardboard boxes or empty water/soda bottles tossed in the holes to slow her down and accustom her to stuff around her legs/hooves. Fine with that. Found out later - not fine with that while driving down the road!! On 2 different incidents (with well over 90 solid days of driving) - she had a complete meltdown while in harness and driving when she hit something on the ground that made noise/moved. The 2nd - was a hot wire that had been dropped for the riders/drivers to cross thru a pasture. It wasn't hot and all she had to do was step over it like her partner did. She caught it with her hoof and pulled it a bit (it came right loose but you'd a thought she'd had the heck shocked out of her) - she came completely unglued at that point. Ended up getting her left rear leg over the tongue of the forecart I was driving that day - pretty decently peeling the skin off of it (OUCH). She did get her leg on the correct side, the trace that had come loose while she was pulling her shenanigans was rehooked by another person for me and we both got over the shakes. We had to continue driving as we were miles from the trailers/trail head at that point. She did eventually settle and she wasn't lame - but neither of us really seemed to trust each other again after that. I sure didn't want to hook her by myself - my confidence in my abilities at that point were questioned by me. Again, in the meantime, she produced a surprise colt whom we didn't know who the sire was (not one of ours - would have been pregnant before she was delivered to me) and the colt was no different than the filly I'd purchased with the mare (we didn't know who his sire was but wasn't the same as filly). Didn't end up selling him, euthanized him when a growth in his abdomen was very large and surgical removal wasn't an option... Turned out, it was not cancerous though cause not known and was the size of a basketball - at 18 months of age. When the opportunity arrived, I traded the mare and her 2 yr old filly for another mare related to her but with very different lineage on the dams side. That was a wonderful thing all the way around! The new mare will make a NICE larger riding pony for our granddaughters AND a harness pony as well when I get her going. In the meantime, she is one that just foaled a pretty nice colt last September. I have one of her daughters (purchased at the same time as the other mare/filly) and several of her other foals have made GREAT show ponies and/or have been exported and doing well in the countries they went to. I'm excited both about that AND about the mare I GET ALONG WITH SO WELL...

In other ponies, the flighty personality/attitude doesn't pass to the foal. I currently have two mares that are "wild" and over-reactive. One may never be trained to harness now (you never know tho, maybe?) as I have lots of youngsters coming up that are ready to start harness training - however her two sons (ours - she'd had 4 other foals before we got her and all are doing great w/ their owners as well as show/driving ponies - 2 are full brothers to 1 of ours) by different stallions are completely DIFFERENT than her and one was shown in halter and is already started driving and the other colt is our 2nd JR stallion and will be started in harness. He will also make a superb riding pony (I believe) just like his sire! I'm hoping that he will sire foals like his daddy did as well. The 2nd mare - she supposedly was well trained to drive, was shown and did lead line. I'm wondering if something didn't happen. She gets so tense when she's handled - that she will "bull" right over/thru you. She will eventually relax but she's 21 this year, so... She just foaled the filly on 26 Dec (Blitzen) and I feel like my time might be better spent to play/work with the filly than to bother with the mare. Lead line? I don't think I'll be putting my granddaughters on her at all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hooked the sulky and am ground driving. Husband thinks I should get in, but I am going to ground drive a little longer. I want his new lessons to be a habit before I get in.

More rain and snow so we have lost any solid ground again. Now we gave an "arctic blast" moved in. One good thing--he should never have a problem crossing puddles in the future.

Haven't had much chance to work with Rowdy. Weather has been weird. Today we started out with freezing fog, but about 3 pm it got up to 38 and the sun came out. So we got to work. I hooked the sulky and we ground drove about 2 miles. I really need to work on more circles and figure 8's with him, but we went out on the road today. Ducks on a pond were new and interesting but the cows were a non-event today. I did get into the sulky for a little while, then unhooked and did more circles without the sulky. I plan to order a new bridle for him. He is so hairy, my A size doesn't fit exactly right. I tried to measure his head today for a bridle, but not sure how accurate it is with the winter yak look.

We are continuing to work on Stand. His whoa is very good.

I went out on the road in the cart yesterday for the first time since his training session. We did circles in the yard first. He is still a little resistant on the circles and figure 8s, but gets better as the lesson goes along. My rural roads are still muddy and the ruts are so deep it is impossible to take the cart on them. So I am limited in my driving area, unless I want to get on the busy paved road.

I got my new Starlake bridle and he wore it for the first time. Took my camera out to take a picture of it on him, and wouldn't you know the battery was dead. I will try again today. The blinders don't seem right to me. I will send the picture to Starlake and see if they can see what I'm doing wrong. (I've never seen a bridle I like as well as my old Big Dee one; can't get them any more.)

Transitioning from trot down to walk will take some work, but he is listening well.

Love my Starlake harness/ bridle, the blinders took some adjusting when I first got the bridle from shipping as they are often tossed around but it fits my guy great now
default_smile.png

My husband was able to get a few pictures. So good to have some pictures of yourself so you can see what is going on from the side. I see that Rowdy is gaping in the turns, which tells me we need lots more work in circles so he can relax in the turns. I see I may need to adjust the shaft level a little. These pictures were taken in a very rough pasture area, so movement was not smooth.

We did some road work that day and practiced transitions. He had trouble coming down from a trot to walk, but got smoother as we worked. It will just take experience. There was no hint of out-of-control in the trot, just enjoying the movement and not wanting to slow down.

I need to try for some pictures out on the smooth road. I am rural and we just have to take our terrain as we find it.

Rowdy2 1-29.jpg

Rowdy3 1-29.jpg

Rowdy 1-29.jpg

I enjoyed the pictures.He looks very happy. I wish I could get out and drive mine but it has gone from ice to mud.

I don't have a flat place to work either, just my back field.

Do you like the side check? I might need a new bridle and they look more comfortable to me.

I like your boots, by the way!

The side check works differently than an overcheck. The side check gives more flexibilitly with the bit. I'm still using a check on him because he likes to put his nose on the ground. He looks like a hound dog on the scent. After we've worked through that, I'll probably take the check off. If you get a new bridle, it will likely have both checks as an option. The trainer who worked with me believes the check helps to keep the harness straight from head to tail, and helps the horse learn how to carry himself. There are passionate beliefs on both sides of the issue. I'm not experienced enough to argue either way. But I think it is better for the horse to discipline himself for lowering his head than it is for me to keep smacking him for doing it. So I'll keep using the check for now.

Where I drive there are a lot of tempting, tasty weeds about knee high. So I use a check for the same reason as you, I'd rather he ends up being his own disciplinarian when he goes to grab them than have to pick at him for it. I hate always being the "bad guy".

Latest posts

Back