New colt appears possibly septic/Lucy update too

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update 3/31/08:

Lucy is UP walking around and nursing. Vets are starting to wean her IV!! YEAH New Bolton!!!

Firestar is still at home but is NOT nursing, getting IVs 4 X a day, and MULTIPLE medications. I am with him almost every hour for a half an hour at a time, or more. He isn't accepting the syringe well and is spitting out 50% of the mares milk fed to him. I am giving vanilla yogurt also, which he doesn't spit out at me, he seems to like it. His diarrhea which had improved a bit is worse today, so I upped his pepto( we were decreasing it a bit)

If not nursing by 2pm tomorrow(tuesday) he is going to New Bolton. I MUST return to work, I am out of vacation time and being a nurse, we are short in work anyway.

Thanks all for your prayers and support.

Love,

Robin

ps.. edited to add: phone call tonight, Lucy has become a fainting foal. Her blood sugars are fine. They were all worried, I told them it will go away.Out of all the problems, that is one I am not going to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether to be thrilled or saddened. I keep checking in to see how your little ones are doing and I'm happy to hear Lucy has improved but would sure like to hear the same for Firestar. I'm keeping them both in my thoughts and you as well.

[SIZE=12pt]So glad Lucy seems to be improving, but want to hear the same of Firefall.'[/SIZE]

I'm hoping for a good update tomorrow - hopefully Firefall won't have to go to New Bolton.

Barbie

I am so glad to hear Lucy is doing better, Firestar will pick it up soon to with you taking that special care of him. That nursing training and stamina comes in handy at these times. Still many prayers coming your way Robin.

Mary

so glad Lucy is improving that sounds great

sorry firestar is struggling hoping for a turn for the good for him real soon too

you have had a rough time for sure

prayers for your 2 babies to be well and back home with you

Oh Robin, that is GREAT news!!! I hope Lucy continues to thrive!!
default_aktion033.gif
Sending continued prayers for both little sweethearts!
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks again for the mail update and for keeping everyone informed here on LB.

I'm sure you know that there are so many people - probably its world wide - who are praying and fighting alongside you for these two little darlings of yours.

If all our prayers and hopes are anything to go by, they WILL make it Robin.

You just take care of yourself, they and their Mums need you.

Hugs for you - Anna

UPDATE 4/1/08

Took the colt to New Bolton Center today. He would not nurse at all,and I have to go back to work tomorrow and could not leave him alone. I was milking the mare and syringe feeding him every 2 hours, meds were almost every hour, IV fluids every 4-6 hours. If only he would have nursed well, I might have been able to work out his medication schedule with my husband helping. I work long hours and my husband could have helped in the afternoon.

So I took him up at 4pm. They put in a stomach tube, Xrayed to be sure it was in place, Pulled the old central jugular line and put a new one in the other side. He is going to continue on all the same medicines.

We were able to sneak a look at Lucy. She has improved a lot over night! She is NURSING! and they are weaning her Hyperailimentation fluids! Its like a miracle. She may come home in a few days if she keeps going this way! She has been kicking the vet techs shins(last pretty much all she can reach) Her weigh is up from 12.5 pounds at 5 days of age to a whopping 13 pounds! She is the cutest, most perfect tiny girl!!!

Misty , normally the sweetes mare in the world has had enough of getting to nurse the baby and having her taken away... she bit a vet tech, hard too!

Thanks for your prayers and good wishes!!!!! keep them coming if you can, they are helping!!

Robin

I am so sorry to read that Firestar is not doing better. I hope he turns around soon. That is wonderful that Lucy is making such good improvement.

Robin, I am so glad the little girl is doing better, and I pray the little colt improves soon....

Continued prayers for both, and for you as well, I am sure you must be stressed and so worn out.

Hang in there....
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

wonderful news on your filly!!!!

so sorry your going this route with your colt though

but hoping your miracle girl comes home soon

along with your colt.

prayers still going their way for a speedy recovery

((((HUGS)))) to you Robin

default_aktion033.gif
I am so happy for the filly. She will be so happy to hear momma is taking her home!!!

Robin,

So glad the little filly is improving.
default_yes.gif
I'm praying your little boy follows shortly.
default_pray.gif

I am so glad to hear that Lucy is doing better, but OMG, 12.5 pounds at 5 days old!! I knew she was early, but the pictures didn't make her look that small. How much did she weigh when she was born? How is her momma doing also? Even though she wasn't sick, I'm sure its stressful for her just being there.

I'm so sorry Firestar had to go to New Bolton, but hopefully he'll improve quickly and get to come back home.

I'll be waiting for good updates on both your Dragon babies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad the update on Lucy seems encouraging and that your boy is getting the help he needs hopefully he will turn around quickly too. Prayers continue!!!!!!

Prayers continuing for your little ones.

Well...I am glad to hear of the improvement of Miss Lucy and I am sure that lil colt will do fine,,He needs some more TLC
default_wub.png

OH Robin I just read your post I'm so sorry for your two babies. They will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Carlene

Robin, I am out of my home town at a big conference, but this is the first web site and thread I try to find to see how your little babies are doing as soon as I can get to a computer. I am SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY that your little girl is recovering!!! The powers of the board members are sure to help little Firestar as well. It is so hard for you, I do know. Sending big hugs to you and prayers for your well-being also. And that of your husband, I know this kind of thing just saps it right out of the whole family.

Sending you all my very best,

Amy

Back