Need opinions-Vulva abnormal on filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bealsbarnyard

Reaction score
Sorry if this picture is a bit graphic but I know this is the best place to get answers.

Yesterday while clipping a 2 month old filly I noticed that her vulva did not look normal it appears that what I assume is her clitoris at the bottom of her vulva is exposed instead of inside the lips. I have never seen this in a mare before and wonder if anyone has, should I be concerned? Will this cause a problem with her future as a broodmare? Will she be more prone to infections? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Ruby.jpg

I have a broodmare who I bought as a weanling. She had the same genital conformation as you've shown here in your photo. I worried about it, too. However, I'm happy to say that as she aged, the protruding clitoris became less apparent as the genitals matured. She has had 2 healthy foals for me, conceiving easily and foaling easily. Interestingly she had her first filly this year and she has exactly the same appearance as her mother (and your filly). I remember asking my vet about it years ago and she indicated it wasn't a problem -- and it hasn't been!

Robin C

Hey there,

My filly two years ago had the same thing and I was also concerned. I took a peek this morning during their "breakfast" and see that it is fully closed now. Must have happened at puberty. There haven't been any problems AFAIK either. Also looked at her 2 1/2 month old half sister (same dam) and she does not have this issue so I guess it is determined by the sire?

Daryl

We had one similar years ago though not sure it is the exact thing. . Vet said it was caused from the regumate that the dam was taking..... Sold her as a weanling but we showed it to the buyers - no problem as far as they were concerned. Don't know how it progressed.........(Sold the mare with the foal so we don't know if she had others like that).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a filly or two look like that at birth, but as they matured, all became normal. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Boy, I learn something new here every day, I also never new colts little things bend backwards, until I read and saw it hear also.

The other day my hubby and I where sitting outside watching my new born colts running and playing and I turned to hubby and said, boy they are right
default_yes.gif
: their little thing is bending backwards, what he says, I explained, what a laugh, he says boy you gals talk about everything :risa_suelos:

Always learning & sharing :saludando:

I agree with the others who've said that this seems to 'self-correct' with time/age. I have had a couple of fillies over time with a milder version of what your picture illustrated...

As for the 'thing'(Penis-you know, ...'call a spade a spade'...(said with a smile!)--that bends backwards...my now 12 YO (AMHA Champion!) gelding, who was a stallion until age 6, has one that looks like a moderate "C"-did when he was a stallion, still that way as a gelding! And, one of his sons, raised here, was the same way---heck, as a small foal he urinated 'WAY out behind himself!! It was quite a sight to see! Clearly, there's a genetic component-at least with some who are this way!!

Margo

Appreciate this thread! Have never had it happen to any of our's, but if I do -- now I know not to freak out!

MA

Thanks to all that responded to my post :saludando: I feel much better, I was really concerned. Sure is nice to have a great group of people to ask sensitive questions like this one
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back