Hoof/Leg issues- advice needed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrown

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a very dark area on Skip's left front hoof sole- it covers a good 1/3 of her hoof bottom, from about an inch past her heels almost to her toe on one side. She was also moving and standing slightly toed out, which is abnormal. There was no heat, swelling, sensitivity, lameness, etc yesterday. I went back today to check on her, and now her knee and fetlock on that leg are slightly warm (but don't appear swollen), and she appears to be slightly favoring that leg (not head bobbing lame, but took a few off steps). Does this sound like an abscess that just needs to work its way out? Hoof bruise? Something more serious? I will post a photo of her hoof when I get home. I just switched to a new vet when we moved barns, and haven't even met him in person yet, so I hate to overreact and call him if it isn't actually as worrisome as I think it is. Skip had a small abscess mid-summer, but it wasn't serious and she was never lame. My girls have never had issues like this, so I'm just unsure how serious this is. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds like a bruise/abscess to me- it ispossible that it has dried out, hence the lack of sensitivity, but you need your farrier to come out and sort it- I owuld suggest a farrier as opposed to a vet unless your vet is a qualified farrier.

Thanks rabbitsfizz, I will give him a call. I am pretty sure the vet isn't a farrier. This is what her hoof looks like, poor girl.

skippy hoof.jpg

An update- I went out before and after work, and there is no more heat coming from her joints, thank goodness. I've been advised to wrap her hoof, just in case, but that it will likely just take time to heal/grow out. Wrapping should offer more cushion if it's just a bruise, and if it does end up abscessing that way it will keep clean. She isn't favoring that leg and doesn't seem to be in pain. Thanks for the well wishes
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back