Steroids and pregnant mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
(from foaling forum)

Need info here. I'm going to post on the main forum too. (all seems well right now)

steroids and preg mares

Had a scary incedent with La La, dam of Major Bucks, this morning. As I was feeding I noticed she wasn't eating...VERY unusual for her! Watched her a minute and she didn't look 'right'. went in to check. muzzle looked too big to me. Bottom lip hanging a bit. I opened her mouth for a looksee....appeared swolen and red inside. Released her head and she staggered and wobbled around almost going down. Stood with her head in a corner with head wobbling and tremors in neck and shoulder area. I wasn't sure she was seeing right. called vet he said banamine and Depomedrol. I gave the banamine (and also ranitidine) but held off on the depo. I've been told numerous times no steroids for preg mares. I hadn't thought to tell vet she had been just bred.

So my question is .. La La is about 10 days post breeding. Is it safe to give steroids very early on in a pregnancy? Is there some time frame related to pregnancy and administration of steroids? My vet is out of touch right now. La La is acting normal now so just watching closely at this time.

thanks for any input

My question is what caused her swelling. I would be most concerned to determine what the reaction was from.

Joanne, the most likely cause was an insect bite/sting of some kind. La La seems fine this morning, but I will be watching her closely still. I've had these insect stings or bites before, but never with a bred mare.

La La is about 10 days post breeding. Is it safe to give steroids very early on in a pregnancy? Is there some time frame related to pregnancy and administration of steroids?

A baby tells it's mother it is ready to be born when it's hypothalamic shunt is completed and it is able to produce it's own steroids. If steroids are given in the last trimester of pregnancy than those steroids can mimic the baby's and lead to abortion. At just 10 days the mare is not far enough along to respond to steroids in that manner. So no risk to abortion.

Dr Taylor

Thank you Dr Taylor. This is EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for.

In the past when something came up about steroids and pregnant mares it has been during some kind of crisis situation so I never thought to ask for information specifically about the steroids.

Latest posts

Back