Need opinions on new puppy's breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His tongue and gums are pink. The top part and sides inside his mouth is blue until it goes back towards the uvula area (on a human - do dogs even have those?) where it turns pink again.

if you google cane corso there is a 5 week puppy on there that is the spitting image of your pup right down to the color. I can post the link later if you want.

I went to the feed store today, and you know how everyone puts up flyers for pups, well one of the flyers was of a pup that looked just like this one. Sorry I didn't note the name of the breed but did notice the flyer said it was from South Africa and they guarded livestock. Maybe if you google breeds from South Africa. I should have written down the name, but didn't think of it at the time.

Are you thinking of a Boerboel Riverrose? He really doesn't have enough lip to be any of the Mastiff breeds or Great Dane. A Dane at 8 weeks would weigh about 30 lbs. Remembering that PBs are not a real breed, but have been mixed with just about everything in the last 30 years, at maturity they can weigh anything between 30 and 75 lbs on average. There are many PBs in this area and I'd say most weigh about 60 lbs. Several the same colour as the OP's pup.

Look at this site, which lists PBs in the S. Cal area. Look at Boo. Almost identical to the OPs pup. Many others in that colour too.

http://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption/search/50/miles/93510?family_name=Pit%20Bull%20Terrier&family_id=801

Lizzie

My vet once said to me when I questioned the breeds in my mix (black and white dog in my avatar) 'he is whatever you want him to be, thats whats great about a mutt'
default_smile.png

This area is littered with pitbull type dogs. Every gang member or wannabe tough guy owns one. You drive down the road and nearly every dog you see being walked is a pitbull. I always thought the people were trying to show how 'cool' they were but now I wonder if they are actually trying to socialize the dogs. Lol.

Boo looked more blue in color. Andre is a light tan (blue face) kinda more like Topaz on that page (minus the face coloring). I wish my phone would let me upload another picture to show his facial markings better. They are almost like a mastiff's but not black. He isn't big enough to be mastiff but he may have some in him.

I hear you KD. S. Cal. is definitely the PB capital of the world. Just on that one site, there are 520 PBs for adoption. Most will end up being put to sleep. And there are thousands of others in this area, also not finding homes. Two PB rescues here, actually have their own shows on TV. It is a real problem. Last month, just up the road from me, three PBs running loose, killed 49 goats. It was a horrible mess. Others had to be put to sleep, since they were so badly injured. My hubby recently had to rescue two ladies who had walked to our local mail box. A loose PB had them in a corner and would not allow them to move.

Lizzie

It's sad that so many people allow their dogs to roam loose where they can become an even bigger problem. At the last place we lived, our 19 year old neighbor bred pitbulls and their male was extremely mean. He would come over in our yard and stand outside my kitchen window growling in at me. Used to make me scared to leave the house. But you'd hear the stupid kid out yelling 'get em' as people rode bikes down the street. The dogs would dig out or they'd leave the fence open. I saw them catch two cats and take them home like trophies. :-( I called the humane society several times but they never caught the dogs out and couldnt do anything. In almost two years living here, we've seen five loose dogs, three of which live across the street. I love it here!

I was just talking to my husband last night that we need to better secure the wood fence in our back yard where we keep our dogs. We do have a wire perimeter fence around the property as well, so our dogs would have to get out of two fences to bother anyone. But we get the Santa Ana winds here and I'm scared that one of these days the wind is going to blow the wood fence down. Maybe we'll reinforce it better this weekend. :-/

Are you thinking of a Boerboel Riverrose? He really doesn't have enough lip to be any of the Mastiff breeds or Great Dane. A Dane at 8 weeks would weigh about 30 lbs. Remembering that PBs are not a real breed, but have been mixed with just about everything in the last 30 years, at maturity they can weigh anything between 30 and 75 lbs on average. There are many PBs in this area and I'd say most weigh about 60 lbs. Several the same colour as the OP's pup.

Look at this site, which lists PBs in the S. Cal area. Look at Boo. Almost identical to the OPs pup. Many others in that colour too.

http://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption/search/50/miles/93510?family_name=Pit%20Bull%20Terrier&family_id=801

Lizzie
Yes, Lizzie that is the name of the breed of dog I saw a picture of at the feed store, I'd never heard of them before. Thanks for the info.

He sure is adorable!
default_wub.png
(I like what Sonya's vet said.
default_yes.gif
) I do see Mastiff in him. The body, feet and legs. Specifically what Molosser type I don't know. IMO the Cane Corso has a somewhat more blocky face than your little boy. When my Cane Corso, Lakota was a puppy around the age you say your little one is, she had definitely a more chunky face and head. (You can see her on my website.) That being said....I would socialize him consistantly...every day, every day, every day...any chance you get...very important and keep it part of your daily routine. Keep doing what you're doing touching and petting his belly, ears, mouth, toes etc...this conditions him for his later years. Good that he has no food aggressions. I have hand fed my puppies for about a week or so when I've first gotten them so they will know I am the Alpha and I dispense the food. Just an aside......wipe your slate clean from all the negative thoughts and profiling of the pitbulls and other dogs in your life that have scared you. This little baby that has entered your life is a separate entity. Open your mind and give him all that you can to help raise him to be a star....you will be rewarded ten fold. Good luck with this sweet little boy...I hope to hear awesome updates as he gets growing.
default_aktion033.gif

YES, to everything Sterling has said.
default_yes.gif
Also, don't stop at just touching his mouth, eyes, ears, tummy, tail etc. PREPARE him for life...put your finger IN his ear (this will prepare him for future vet care and cleaning), in his mouth...hold his jaw open and feel his gums way in the back. (again, this prepares him for things coming his way in the future) Tug on his tail...not meanly, but firmly, so it does not startle him into fear biting. Gradually do it lightly when he's not expecting it...do it in play or when he's sleeping (in case a child ever unknowingly does it, it prepares him for that). Let him chew your hands...GENTLY! When he gets rough, holler OUCH to him so he knows it's too rough. Littermates will yelp to let their siblings know they are being too rough. Give him bones with a little meat left on them (large SAFE ones) or something he finds very tastey that he may want to challenge you on. Try taking it from him. Do not allow ANY form of aggression no matter how slight! Any sign of it, pin him down on his back as another (alpha) dog would do, then once he relaxes and accepts your position, release, love and try again. Be sure to REWARD by lavishing praise and loves on him for a job well done, no matter how small the accomplishment!!

What is REALLY important, is like Cheyenne said...start fresh...take those pitbull fears from your mind and raise him as you would any dog. What I have just described above, is how I like to help socialize each and every dog that comes into my life here...from Chihuahuas to Great Danes, Pitbulls!

The flipping and pinning reminds me of the one mini Aussie I have. At about 4 months she began suffering from little man syndrome. She wanted to start growling at my son if he came near her bone or if he wanted to play and she didn't. I caught her in the act one day, so I took her chew to provoke her to growl at me. I wanted to show my kids how to remedy the situation correctly. She growled, I quickly grabbed, flipped her to her back and said no in a very loud growly voice. She peed herself, my kids thought it was histericle. She has never done it to ANYONE since. Mona is correct, and it is so much easier to correct as puppy when we can sit back and say "really you want to go there" rather a much larger adult with adult teeth!

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who's spent a lot of time handling pits in stressful situations (veterinary practice), I can attest that their reputation is earned by only a select few. There has only been one pit I feared and she was quickly subdued with the correct kind of chemical restraint. That said, I have owned 3 pit mixes in my life. And they have all been wonderful dogs! Pits LOVE people. You do need to watch them around other dogs as they are NATURALLY dog aggressive. But if raised with other dogs, they generally do well. That said, I wouldn't advise anyone to own 2 or more pits. That is when they get into that pack mentality.

If you want a veterinary professional's opinion on unstable dogs that snap, I'll gladly give you mine. Shephards (or any large dog with pointy ears) have been the worst in my experience of not being trustworthy. Followed by chows, weimaraners, dachshunds, and chihuahuas. The dogs most people fear: Pits, dobies, and rottie are the biggest teddy bears.

Good luck with your pup! Socialize and teach him that animals aren't to be chased and you'll do fine.

You guys are awesome! I'm so glad I posted about this. I seldom visit the forum anymore but I've missed you all so much. It's like a home where no matter how far you stray from it, whenever something excites or worries you, you always come back to the ones you trust. :)

I never thought about the alpha thing with putting him on his back. He really hasn't given us much cause to yet. Hopefully it stays that way. You can see the eagerness in his face to please, he is constantly watching our faces. I guess he's reading our reactions? I've never seen a smarter puppy before, usually they are goofy. Lol. He does play with our bigger dogs but they are extremely good dogs. I hope that they will help raise him to be well behaved. I keep treats in my pocket at all times, and when we take him places I hope to ask people around us to offer him one. That way he'll see strangers as friends. I just tried, and he'll let me pull his tail and stick my finger in his ears. We'll have to work on his mouth, he seems to think my fingers are little sausages. Lol

YES, to everything Sterling has said.
default_yes.gif
Also, don't stop at just touching his mouth, eyes, ears, tummy, tail etc. PREPARE him for life...put your finger IN his ear (this will prepare him for future vet care and cleaning), in his mouth...hold his jaw open and feel his gums way in the back. (again, this prepares him for things coming his way in the future) Tug on his tail...not meanly, but firmly, so it does not startle him into fear biting. Gradually do it lightly when he's not expecting it...do it in play or when he's sleeping (in case a child ever unknowingly does it, it prepares him for that). Let him chew your hands...GENTLY! When he gets rough, holler OUCH to him so he knows it's too rough. Littermates will yelp to let their siblings know they are being too rough. Give him bones with a little meat left on them (large SAFE ones) or something he finds very tastey that he may want to challenge you on. Try taking it from him. Do not allow ANY form of aggression no matter how slight! Any sign of it, pin him down on his back as another (alpha) dog would do, then once he relaxes and accepts your position, release, love and try again. Be sure to REWARD by lavishing praise and loves on him for a job well done, no matter how small the accomplishment!!

What is REALLY important, is like Cheyenne said...start fresh...take those pitbull fears from your mind and raise him as you would any dog. What I have just described above, is how I like to help socialize each and every dog that comes into my life here...from Chihuahuas to Great Danes, Pitbulls!

What Mona wrote was very wise and important! We do similar things to each of our pups too.....What ever breed he is, he sure is adorable.
default_smile.png

You can see the eagerness in his face to please, he is constantly watching our faces. I guess he's reading our reactions? I've never seen a smarter puppy before
I saw and felt the same thing when I looked at his photos you posted. He looks to have a very gentle, loving soul to him. It's probably a good thing I am not closer, or I may have offered to "take him off your hands"! LOL!

He does play with our bigger dogs but they are extremely good dogs. I hope that they will help raise him to be well behaved.
This really should be beneficial to him as he matures, as puppies often learn from the others in the household.
default_yes.gif

We'll have to work on his mouth, he seems to think my fingers are little sausages. Lol
LOL!! Had to laugh out loud at that comment!
default_biggrin.png
By the way, I believe the proper color terminology for him would be "Blue Fawn"...at least that is what a Chihuahua in that same color is called, but sometimes different breeds use different names. Whatever it is, he is colored CUTE!!
default_wub.png
Please keep us all updated on his progress, making sure to post pics!!
default_aktion033.gif

PS...Glad to see you back here. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

If you want a veterinary professional's opinion on unstable dogs that snap, I'll gladly give you mine. Shephards (or any large dog with pointy ears) have been the worst in my experience of not being trustworthy.
I have never heard this before and I have been handling and showing dogs since 1952. At one time, I owned Canine Security. We had at any one time, about 82 dogs in training. All were trained for the government, for use by the military. Of those who made the grade, almost all went overseas to Viet Nam at the time. All were German Shepherds. All with pointy ears. At the time, the military didn't use anything other than German Shepherds. Later, when showing my own dogs and handling and training several other breeds, I cannot think that pointy (I presume you mean natural and not cropped )ears made any difference in temperament. It is breeding which makes the difference. Either breeding for a solid work ethic or breeding for docile temperaments, which make the difference. When one is seeking a dog or breed for working, then one must know the background of those dogs, close up in the pedigree. Pet and show dogs, are most usually bred (in German Shepherds anyway) from very different backgrounds, than those used for work.

Years later when I owned my own grooming establishment, I have to admit, that Chows were the worst breed I had to deal with, so I agree with you on that point. However, these were always Chows owned by pet owners and not by those who bred and showed Chows professionally. I owned a Chow bitch myself at one point. Imported from England and finishing her championship in the US, she was a really sweet girl. She was actually a gift to me, from a long time friend in England.

Any or all breeds, have the propensity to be a problem in the wrong hands. If I were younger, I'd still love to own a Bull Terrier. (Not to be confused with PBs.)They have always been one of my most favourite breeds. Another favourite breed of mine, is the Airedale. In the '70's, I attended a training session in England, where they were training Airedales for police work. Agencies in the UK, seem to think them a little less 'trigger happy', than German Shepherds. I no longer train dogs, but still want an Airedale so much, I can almost taste it.

Lizzie

I've been raising and rescuing pit bulls for 20 years.

I haven't read all the comments, but he is definitely a pit bull, or I should say "bully" type pit bull. The dog aggressiveness and prey drive in those big dogs (usually shades of blue, silver, fawn, blue fawn, champagne) has basically beed bred out of them. Since they are just being bred for looks and size they are more pet-like in personality. If you google Gotti lines and Razor's Edge you'll find lots of pups that look like your fella. They are big and can get up to 80 or so pounds.

I'm sure this has been said, but train him, be the boss, socialize him and neuter him. He will be a great dog!

Good Luck!

He is absolutely stunning by the way.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back