New Puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two vets have told me that fungal pneumonia is nasty and the cat usually will have to be put down. One vet has NEVER seen one recover from it. Fungal infections are so bad they usually amputate limps but they can’t amputate lungs! Saturday her breathing was horrible so I was thinking the end was near and almost called my neighbor over to put her down, but my hubby is a big softie and wanted to give her a couple more days. Thank goodness we did because this little kitty has made great improvements in the past 2 days. She has more energy, she is more active, and she is eating better (If she stops eating then it is time to put her down). She has started screaming at us again when we come into the sunroom. If she makes it, she will have to be on pricey fungal meds for months. I will take her back to the vet in June for additional X-rays. Fingers crossed 💕

Gray Kitty update:
Yesterday she wasnt doing so good. I could barely get her to eat last night. She is now on the steroid dose every other day. I gave her a dose last night and she is better this morning. I think my neighbor might be right, she said once off the steroids she will probably fade away. Poor baby. Her last steroid dose will be Sunday, I wish I could give it to her forever 🥹

Gray Kitty update:
Yesterday she wasnt doing so good. I could barely get her to eat last night. She is now on the steroid dose every other day. I gave her a dose last night and she is better this morning. I think my neighbor might be right, she said once off the steroids she will probably fade away. Poor baby. Her last steroid dose will be Sunday, I wish I could give it to her forever 🥹
When nothing tempts them to eat, that is a bad sign. I never heard of fungal pneumonia. Your dog will miss her.

Look who's 1 year old today!
I got Pixie from the local rescue last October at about 3.5 months old; she came to them along with some of her siblings under special circumstances, so they had a birthday for her.
We still have a way to go, but, she's come a long way from the nervous pup she was when I got her. [A little extra information, but just copy/pasted from my FB post.]

Attachments

• Pixie - 6-19-23 - Bday - 1 year old.jpg
    Pixie - 6-19-23 - Bday - 1 year old.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pixie - 6-19-23 - bday - 1 year old - 2.jpg
    Pixie - 6-19-23 - bday - 1 year old - 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
Look who's 1 year old today!
I got Pixie from the local rescue last October at about 3.5 months old; she came to them along with some of her siblings under special circumstances, so they had a birthday for her.
We still have a way to go, but, she's come a long way from the nervous pup she was when I got her. [A little extra information, but just copy/pasted from my FB post.]
Happy birthday, Pixie! She is so beautiful.

I'm a little discouraged about our puppy, Pepper. She is 10 months old now. When I picked her out of the litter, she was the first one to come and check out my feet, so I thought she would be a confident dog. She is not. She is terrified of new experiences and isn't getting much better. Even things that she enjoys, like riding in the golf cart, make her bark and whine and run around the floor and seat anxiously. She sees herself in the door glass at night and starts to bark and growl. I was hoping that introducing her to different places and people would help, but I'm not sure it is. Taking her for a walk is no fun.
She is so smart. Not sure what to do. Part of the issue is the Terrier Thing; the breed is known for independence and single-minded focus.
Yesterday I left her in the house alone for several hours. First time. Usually she is put in her crate. She did fine!
I wish there was a dog training class near me.

I would definitely look into training classes and continue to take her places. At 10 months she still very young and impressionable. Most dogs come into their own until closer to 2 years. Playing games with her that she can "win" and simple training exercises that she can master can boost her confidence. I had a timid Chihuahua I let win at tug o war (not recommended for every dog) and he turned out wonderful. I had another dog I would play with before showing in his class and that helped both of us. He was my first champion and a wonderful dog.

Evenings have been challenging because she loves to be outside chasing bugs and we don't want her at risk for predators. We've been playing with her with toys, which gets her very excited. Last night I put all her toys away and only allowed a chew bone. She tried to play with us with the bone but we said "no". I had to get the water bottle once to prove to her that she could not attack my feet (just have to show the bottle, or say "I'm going to get the water bottle" and she pays attention). After the evening of no play, and only allowed outdoors on the leash, she had a calm night.
It's time for us to stop being Puppy Slaves. I don't want Cesear Milan at our door!
To show how smart she is, I was putting Billy through his ground exercises. After ward I looked and she was doing them by herself--hoping for a treat. Of course she got one.

I'm a little discouraged about our puppy, Pepper. She is 10 months old now. When I picked her out of the litter, she was the first one to come and check out my feet, so I thought she would be a confident dog. She is not. She is terrified of new experiences and isn't getting much better. Even things that she enjoys, like riding in the golf cart, make her bark and whine and run around the floor and seat anxiously. She sees herself in the door glass at night and starts to bark and growl. I was hoping that introducing her to different places and people would help, but I'm not sure it is. Taking her for a walk is no fun.
She is so smart. Not sure what to do. Part of the issue is the Terrier Thing; the breed is known for independence and single-minded focus.
Yesterday I left her in the house alone for several hours. First time. Usually she is put in her crate. She did fine!
I wish there was a dog training class near me.
You're not too late to take her places. Does she like treats? Reward her for simple actions when she's getting nervous. Sit, down, etc. Even shake.

Dragon Hill’s comment on mental/working maturity is one I remember hearing also concerning our young dog from a trainer. It helped us stay patient and mot so frustrated. Believe me, it became a favorite daily reminder in my head! 😂

Making your evening routine calmer is such a smart idea. I am not a dog trainer but it seems very logical!

Pepper is well named! Smart, quick, lively - an energetic little bundle of love. 😉

When are dogs considered adult? I'm thinking of behavior, and also changing to adult dog food. Pepper is 10 months old.
We bought one of those bells to teach her to ask to go out. she quickly figured out that was a treat mechanism. Since she loves being outdoors so much, we installed the bell outdoors so she asks to come in, rather than scratching the screen or glass. She is working perfectly! At first she got a treat, but now we just praise and she comes in. We are still puppy slaves.
I would consider her solidly house trained now. We are even leaving her loose in the house when we are gone. Just shut all the doors to off limits rooms. She is always quietly relaxing on her blanket when we come home. Fingers crossed!

I don't consider a dog fully mature until 2 years. But I think generally people think anything over a year is an adult. Pepper, being a small breed, has pretty much finished growing "up" but still has some filling out to do. On some dog food bags they will say adult is 1-6 years, 7+ senior.

We might have a new barn cat 🤣🤣 I just have to convince her to stay 🤣🤣 my neighbor says she has kittens with her 🤷🏻‍♀️ I hope she does! I am feeding my neighbors horse the next few days and I think “Scaredy Cat” might be living in her barn. I am going to look for kittens tonight, wish me luck 🤞🏼🤞🏼 I would love to keep ”Scaredy Cat” around or at least steal a couple of her kittens… gosh I am a horrible person, stealing her kittens 🤣🤣🤣♥️♥️

She is VERY feral and VERY skittish.… she runs really fast! We have seen her only a couple of times and every time she runs straight to my neighbors barn. I will leave food out for her. Hopefully a way to her heart is through her belly 💕💕 Time will tell 💕

You’re on the right track with food! 😂

We have a feral cat rescue by default. Over the years, they have appeared, been dropped off, or had kittens. We live in the country and a very frequented trail, the Soo Line Trail, passes through our property parallel to the barn. This seems to be a conduit of sorts.

If a cat stays around, I live trap (tuna as lure) and take to our wonderful vet, where they are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, wormed, and have their ears cleaned. Afterwards, they spend 3 - 10 days in an old tiny abandoned travel trailer left on our property. Hubby cleaned it out and pulled it near the barn area. The “Cat Camper” has been a huge help with this project.

Moms are live trapped and her kittens collected and they then live in the Cat Camper until kittens are old enough to eat kitten chow and mom goes to rhe vet. The kittens are rehomed after their first vet visit, and mom is released back into the barn with her cat buddies. ( Males are easier - some tuna fish ;) then a trip to the vet followed by 3 or 4 days R&R then back to the barn life.)

This is the second year we are kitten free. 🥳 I think we have finally caught up with them! Some of the feral cats have become pretty tame and several remain very independent. They show up often for breakfast/dinner but the minute you get too close they scoot until next feeding.

Our oldest barn car, Victoria, is about 12 years old and it took years to catch her. She seems to enjoy being a great grandma now and hanging out with her assorted adult (altered) offspring and those who just moved in, but will not let anyone pet her.

If you find kittens, one idea I’ve used is to put kittens in a crate behind the livetrap, covering the top of both crates with an old horse blanket. Mom has always gone in, then I do keep the family together as mentioned above.

I wish you all the best in your quest! 💕

MaryFlora, I think you and I are gonna be the crazy cat ladies 💕💕 I searched for the babies tonight and couldn’t find any. I’ve left food out for Scaredy Cat. I have a pretty big kennel to keep everyone in, but I’d hate to trap her with her kittens out there somewhere waiting to be nursed. So fingers crossed 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 I’ll keep waiting and putting food out… gosh I LOVE cats ♥️♥️ I’ll take any cat in that comes my way, stray, feral, any and all are welcome here 💕💕

I love that you have a Cat Camper, that’s AWESOME! 😍

Latest posts

Back