New Puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh, my. It's been several years since we lost our Buddy. I finally was ready to get a new dog, but we haven't had a puppy in more than 20 years. Pretty scary! I'm getting the puppy from the same guy we got Buddy, our rat terrier. We really enjoyed him and decided to get another. I'm bringing the puppy home tomorrow. She is such a tiny morsel, I'm scared to death. We are going directly to the vet for a checkup. No name yet.

Attachments

• puppy.jpg
    puppy.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations! Very cute.
I just got a new puppy yesterday, she came from a semi-local rescue; a 3.5 month old Tri-Color Border Collie. [From a rescue so already spayed.] It is scary having a puppy again, it's been 6 years or so since we had a puppy here. It's a little easier with a slightly older puppy.
I need to take my own pics, all I have is one at the foster family's home:

Attachments

• Tri color border collie puppy - femal - WPPPs.jpg
    Tri color border collie puppy - femal - WPPPs.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
I'll be glad when mine is as old as yours! Is that young to be spayed?
Ours is such a morsel and missing her littermates. We've discovered that she loves shoes, especially men's boots. She will lay on my husband's boots, gnawing on the fringe and shoe laces. I got her one of my old shoes to play with; she can't hurt it yet. The first time I gave her a squeaky toy, she growled at it and then chewed on it.
The breeder was feeding them canned cat food, of all things! She is eating puppy chow moistened with broth very well. She handled the vaccination fine, and they clipped her toe nails, too.
Good luck with your new pup! Does she have a name? It's so hard to name an animal. I think we are calling ours Pepper.

I'll be glad when mine is as old as yours! Is that young to be spayed?
Ours is such a morsel and missing her littermates. We've discovered that she loves shoes, especially men's boots. She will lay on my husband's boots, gnawing on the fringe and shoe laces. I got her one of my old shoes to play with; she can't hurt it yet. The first time I gave her a squeaky toy, she growled at it and then chewed on it.
The breeder was feeding them canned cat food, of all things! She is eating puppy chow moistened with broth very well. She handled the vaccination fine, and they clipped her toe nails, too.
Good luck with your new pup! Does she have a name? It's so hard to name an animal. I think we are calling ours Pepper.
Most feel juvenile spaying is too young, so anything under like 9 months or so, but she came from a rescue, so they fix everything before adopting out. I'd discuss with your vet what is the best time for a pup the size/breed of yours (small ones I think they may wait a little later to ensure they are big enough to handle the anesthesia).
I think I've settled on "Pixie", it's the only thing she responded to. [I tried on several names, and she didn't even look at me.]

We too are getting a puppy in 5 short weeks!! 😁 Our family dog of 14yrs passed away last Sept and we all have missed having a dog in the house, which we realized after housesitting multiple friends’ dogs. A family friend breed Portuguese Water Dogs which are hypoallergenic, as was our last dog….Her name right now is Bonfire, but we aren’t going to keep it, as long as the family can agree on a new name! 😂😂

Attachments

• 20805AE4-7B66-4865-80C3-CB926BC3C07A.jpeg
    20805AE4-7B66-4865-80C3-CB926BC3C07A.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
We decided to call her Cassie. Trimmer was here yesterday and I gave her a little hoof. She carried it around and chewed on it. Have to get her started with little horses right away! This morning I took her out and let her sit on Dapper Dan. He was fine with it, but Billy wasn't so sure. The picture makes her look big but she is just a morsel. She has gained 2 oz, though, up to 2.4 pounds.

Attachments

• cassie and hoof.jpg
    cassie and hoof.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 1
We decided to call her Cassie. Trimmer was here yesterday and I gave her a little hoof. She carried it around and chewed on it. Have to get her started with little horses right away! This morning I took her out and let her sit on Dapper Dan. He was fine with it, but Billy wasn't so sure. The picture makes her look big but she is just a morsel. She has gained 2 oz, though, up to 2.4 pounds.
Cute name. It's fitting, mini dog to go with mini horses. ;)
Pixie is a Border Collie, so at 3.5 months, she's already like 16#, (I think that's what her clinic/rescue paperwork said for her spay).

Oh, dear. Husband wants to change her name back to Pepper. Actually, she is answering well to "come on!"
Pixie is a nice name. I wish ours had been named already; would have been easier.
Not sure about Bonfire, but I think we get used to whatever the name is. Like my horse, Billy. I'm getting used to it, and he knew his name already.

Oh, dear. Husband wants to change her name back to Pepper. Actually, she is answering well to "come on!"
Pixie is a nice name. I wish ours had been named already; would have been easier.
Not sure about Bonfire, but I think we get used to whatever the name is. Like my horse, Billy. I'm getting used to it, and he knew his name already.
A name will hit you. Pepper seems like an easy to call and for her to learn; Bonfire is cute, but might be a mouthful.

When a little horsie hoof looks huge in one's mouth, you know that you're looking at a mighty mite! 🥰

Cassie/Pepper is so cute and tiny!! 🤩 And her paws are adorable.

We aren’t planning on keeping the name Bonfire, the litter was Autumn themed so all puppies have “fall” names. The breeder gets to pick which puppy goes to which family based off of personality and what the family wants, so we won’t know for 2-3 more weeks which puppy we actually are getting, but it will probably be Bonfire (pictured above) or Nutmeg, a brown female. Both are cute, and I honestly don’t care which we end up with! Just happy to have another dog to love. ❤️ We have it more or less narrowed down to three names, but it will depend on which pup we get.

How are all the new puppies doing? Our is finally growing. She seems really smart. Yesterday she was allowed to hang out while I was grooming the horses. They are perfectly calm, but when she began playing with tails and biting fetlocks, it was time to put her up. They did not mind her antics, but one accidental hoof move and she would have been badly injured. So, until she gets bigger she has to keep her distance.

For small dogs, I highly recommend Get Naked Biteable Puppy Treats. We got them from Chewy and they are perfect. Tiny and very easy to chew and delicious. I was looking for a tiny harness, as no stores around me carry tinies. Their smallest one is still too large but hopefully she will grow into it quickly. Then I can take her out where I'm grooming without worry.

Latest posts

Back