Nationals Western Pleasure driving class WIN????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

Ok, I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth. But, I have to say it cause I was really irked by it. I was at the Nationals which was really great. I drove my gelding in the open Western

Pleasure class and there was at least 23 people in the class at least 98% to 99% I think of the people were dressed western. Obviously it was a western class. Some had hats and some didn't BUT, the person who won wasn't EVEN dressed western. Now that annoyned me. I'm not knocking they're ability at all please HOWEVER, if your in a class that is specific and EVERYONE goes to the effort to dress accordly because that's what it's about then you should too. PLUS, don't you think the JUDGES should JUDGE on that TOO!!!!!!!!!!

Well enough of me spoutting off. I just had to give my say. If that's all that irked me out of the wonderful time I had there then I guess I'm doing pretty good I think. It was a dream come true, who'd thunk that 3 years ago I didn't even know what a mini was and NEVER ever heard of one, I ended up at the Nationals and driving in one with the big boys/girls no less.

Taylor Jo

Backachers Miniature Show Horses

Maybe there is a range of what people consider western dress? And obviously, there's more to placing in the class than wardrobe
default_smile.png

One of my horses was in the Open Western Country Pleasure, 32" - 34", and took 4th out of 28 horses. He showed in driving only once prior to the Nationals, taking two reserve stakes wins out of 15. Until the past 6 or 8 weeks, he's just been a halter guy when it comes to the show ring
default_laugh.png

I'm very proud of him and his wins
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue boils down to the Rules. I have no idea what they are but if it is not stated in the Rule Book what should specifically be worn by the driver then it doesn't matter what someone wears. Of course you should dress appropriately.

Maybe someone can look this up in the rule book? But like I said......no rules.......no beef. And no, judges do not judge on what a person wears UNLESS it is in the rules. It's not a costume class.
default_smile.png

Now if there is a certain "dress code" than shame on the judges for not knowing what those rules are. And edited to say reading the post below......OF COURSE you can't wear a T-shirt
default_laugh.png
......somewhere along the line common sense comes into play.

Maybe there is a range of what people consider western dress? And obviously, there's more to placing in the class than wardrobe
default_smile.png

One of my horses was in the Open Western Country Pleasure, 32" - 34", and took 4th out of 28 horses. I'm very proud of him and his win
default_yes.gif

First off congradulations that is great... and I agree w/ you 100% it should be based not on wardrobe alone and that's what I said, I didn't say anything about her driving ability which was great she's really good. I just said that if your going to be in the class you should dress accodinly in my opionion. A lot of us go

to a great deal of hard work to not only drive well but the expense of putting together an outfit and for some of us it hits the budget more then it does others.

Gee, if I would have known I could have gone in a T shirt and it would have mattered a tinkers darn to the judges so be it, that was my point. I think it should be taken into consideration cause after all that IS the class that's WHY they have a COUNTRY PLEASURE class , Western Pleasure, etc. and everyone dresses up or so I thought, plus it highlights your horses gaits. Not all horses can go at the pace of the country pleasure so they have the western pleasure, and vice versa. BUT, I think they need to take it ALL as a whole and just not one part of it..... I saw some really good drivers out there and if I saw one that was dressed and one that was not I'd (me personally) chosen the one that was dressed. However, that's me.

This issue boils down to the Rules. I have no idea what they are but if it is not stated in the Rule Book what should specifically be worn by the driver then it doesn't matter what someone wears. Of course you should dress appropriately.Maybe someone can look this up in the rule book? But like I said......no rules.......no beef. And no, judges do not judge on what a person wears UNLESS it is in the rules. It's not a costume class.

Now if there is a certain "dress code" than shame on the judges for not knowing what those rules are. And edited to say reading the post below......OF COURSE you can't wear a T-shirt ......somewhere along the line common sense comes into play.

True, then why bother, HOWEVER, on page 246 of the rule Book it say's. A. DRESS: iT IS THE TRADITON OF THE SHOW RING THAT HANDLERS AND DRIVERS BE CORRECTLY ATTIRED FOR THEIR CLASSES. Then it goes on to say what you can't wear.

Last edited:
As I recall that class wasn't even intended to BE a western class when it was proposed but that's the only name they could agree on. So nope, doesn't bug me at all if they aren't dressed "western."
default_laugh.png
I thought there were some inconsistent placings in that Open class (I was watching it online) but then again, it's still a new class and judges are going to have very different opinions on what they are looking for. The Ladies class yesterday seemed a little more consistent but I have to admit I never once looked at the drivers' attire except to try and remember a horse-driver combination by color. It's a pleasure class- that means it's all about the horse!
default_thumbup.gif
Reinsmanship (if AMHR had it) would be much more on driver attire and posture, so would a Turnout class in ADS, but Pleasure classes in any breed or type of show have always been judged on the horse's performance with minimal value placed on the driver and even less on apparel except to not be out there in holey blue jeans and a tank top.

I personally think a good cowboy hat looks great on almost everyone and love the fact I have a chance to wear one again but I know not everyone feels that way.

Leia

This is what the current AMHR Rule Book says, on page 263, concerning attire for the Western Country Pleasure driving classes:

Western%20Attire.JPG

That is pretty open to interpretation, because there's a range of what people may consider as western attire.

I did not watch every Western Country Pleasure Driving class, but I did watch a few including, of course, Destiny's. I didn't notice anyone in tee-shirts or dress I thought was not appropriate for the class, but like I said -- I did not see all the classes.

And, I do understand the hard work and the high hopes. Every single person who has / had a horse at Nationals feels that way
default_smile.png

By the way! Congratulations Jill and Erica! I didn't know!
default_smile.png
I am sure you are very proud of Destiny. I know he is very new to the driving arena.

I am sure as this class "evolves" there will be more specific rules put into place. However, for now it is what it is. And yes, in performance the HORSE is judged and as long as the people were appropriately dressed that is all that matters.

This is what the current AMHR Rule Book says, on page 263, concerning attire for the Western Country Pleasure driving classes:
Western%20Attire.JPG

That is pretty open to interpretation, because there's a range of what people may consider as western attire.

I did not watch every Western Country Pleasure Driving class, but I did watch a few including, of course, Destiny's. I didn't notice anyone in tee-shirts or dress I thought was not appropriate for the class, but like I said -- I did not see all the classes.

And, I do understand the hard work and the high hopes. Every single person who has / had a horse at Nationals feels that way
default_smile.png

Thanks for fiding that I didn't find that. I agree w/ you it's all OPEN to interpretation, what's one man dress I guess is not anothers.

As I recall that class wasn't even intended to BE a western class when it was proposed but that's the only name they could agree on. So nope, doesn't bug me at all if they aren't dressed "western."
default_laugh.png
I thought there were some inconsistent placings in that Open class (I was watching it online) but then again, it's still a new class and judges are going to have very different opinions on what they are looking for. The Ladies class yesterday seemed a little more consistent but I have to admit I never once looked at the drivers' attire except to try and remember a horse-driver combination by color. It's a pleasure class- that means it's all about the horse!
default_thumbup.gif
Reinsmanship (if AMHR had it) would be much more on driver attire and posture, so would a Turnout class in ADS, but Pleasure classes in any breed or type of show have always been judged on the horse's performance with minimal value placed on the driver and even less on apparel except to not be out there in holey blue jeans and a tank top.
I personally think a good cowboy hat looks great on almost everyone and love the fact I have a chance to wear one again but I know not everyone feels that way.

Leia

I agree a cowboy hat would have been perfect. I know I had one on and some people did and some didn't and to each there own, I just don't see why then we bother to dress up if it doesn't matter a tinkers darn why go to the extra effort if someone is going to come in and win that didn't put forth the effort.

REALLY, OK, so it doesn't matter that the minimal value placed on the driver then why should the rest of us care what our appreance is. I BET if you DID go out there NOT looking appropriate you would get docked that would be MY LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Any way's guy's it was just my thoughts. I was just irked by it, cause I saw everyone SOOOOO nicely dressed and I thought hey wait a minute that just doesn't seem very fair. The men looked so nice all decked out and they horses all looked so beautiful the ladies were looking so pretty, hats on hats off everyone did look nice and for that I congrad't them for it and all they're effort. SHE wore just what the rule book said "A BLOUSE" IT isn't specific in what KIND of BLOUSE so my fault, I'm wrong. SHE wore what the rules said a blouse. "I" took it to mean western wear cause it was a western class so I dressed western and felt I'd been judged accordnly. The MEN it say's WESTERN WEAR but they didn't win first either, so it wasn't based upon costume AND driving, it was just based on driving.

I think next year I'm going to walk up to a judge and ask them at my first local show their thoughts. Of course what's one will NOT be anothers. I just want to find out how or IF they're judging JUST THE HORSE if so there's my answer and I'm not going to sweat the clothing dept anymore.

Thanks everyone I needed to air that out I feel better and I respect all your insights. TJ

Taylor Jo said:
...I just don't see why then we bother to dress up if it doesn't matter a tinkers darn why go to the extra effort if someone is going to come in and win that didn't put forth the effort.REALLY, OK, so it doesn't matter that the minimal value placed on the driver then why should the rest of us care what our appreance is. I BET if you DID go out there NOT looking appropriate you would get docked that would be MY LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
Hi TJ. I know how you're feeling and understand your frustration as I'm sort of in the same position. But for me I can't afford nice clothes (or seem to find ones that fit at the thrift stores
default_wacko.png
) so while I very much care how I look I'm always the underdressed one in my classes. I do, however, "put in the effort" - I put it in on my horse every single day and work my rump off training him myself and it is SO FRUSTRATING when someone with more glitz and more money and a bigger name comes in and sweeps the class with a horse who is rearing and cantering and screaming!!
default_gaah.gif
I think the clothes do matter and can help build a more polished image but the best horse should win, period. If the horse is being stupid it shouldn't matter who's at the reins or what they're wearing, just the same as if the horse is clearly the best it deserves the Championship even if its driver isn't the fanciest or (for that matter) if it's in an easy entry cart. It isn't a fashion show, much though it might resemble one sometimes.
default_whistling.gif
Ideally we'd have both at once for a truly clear winner but that often doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, you should feel really good about yourself. You're THERE, you undoubtedly looked FABULOUS, and I'm sure the judges noticed!
default_yes.gif
If nothing else you'll look really good in your official I-Was-There photos.
default_wink.png
The thing I've had driven home the most this year is that it is not ALL political. There's a lot that goes into judging a class and some of those seeming political wins are because the trainer simply drove better than the amatuer and had a better horse. Period. Of course there are still those times where it doesn't seem to matter what the horse actually did, but hey. You can't win them all!
default_laugh.png
I guess my point is that there was probably more to it then you saw and it IS worth putting in the effort on your clothing if that's something you enjoy. It's never wasted! Just make sure you spend as much time on your horse as you do on yourself since he's the one the judges are looking at first.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Taylor Jo said:
...I just don't see why then we bother to dress up if it doesn't matter a tinkers darn why go to the extra effort if someone is going to come in and win that didn't put forth the effort.REALLY, OK, so it doesn't matter that the minimal value placed on the driver then why should the rest of us care what our appreance is. I BET if you DID go out there NOT looking appropriate you would get docked that would be MY LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
Hi TJ. I know how you're feeling and understand your frustration as I'm sort of in the same position. But for me I can't afford nice clothes (or seem to find ones that fit at the thrift stores
default_wacko.png
) so while I very much care how I look I'm always the underdressed one in my classes. I do, however, "put in the effort" - I put it in on my horse every single day and work my rump off training him myself and it is SO FRUSTRATING when someone with more glitz and more money and a bigger name comes in and sweeps the class with a horse who is rearing and cantering and screaming!!
default_gaah.gif
I think the clothes do matter and can help build a more polished image but the best horse should win, period. If the horse is being stupid it shouldn't matter who's at the reins or what they're wearing, just the same as if the horse is clearly the best it deserves the Championship even if its driver isn't the fanciest or (for that matter) if it's in an easy entry cart. It isn't a fashion show, much though it might resemble one sometimes.
default_whistling.gif
Ideally we'd have both at once for a truly clear winner but that often doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, you should feel really good about yourself. You're THERE, you undoubtedly looked FABULOUS, and I'm sure the judges noticed!
default_yes.gif
If nothing else you'll look really good in your official I-Was-There photos.
default_wink.png
The thing I've had driven home the most this year is that it is not ALL political. There's a lot that goes into judging a class and some of those seeming political wins are because the trainer simply drove better than the amatuer and had a better horse. Period. Of course there are still those times where it doesn't seem to matter what the horse actually did, but hey. You can't win them all!
default_laugh.png
I guess my point is that there was probably more to it then you saw and it IS worth putting in the effort on your clothing if that's something you enjoy. It's never wasted! Just make sure you spend as much time on your horse as you do on yourself since he's the one the judges are looking at first.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Oh Leia, I don't think you could have put it any better. I was sooooo worried about going up against the big boys that I did put every effort into it. I was so very proud of my horse. It was Oreo's first year of driving and his first Nationals and he did everything perfectly, I could NOT have asked for a better horse.

He did his gaits so perfect, he did everything I asked of him and that was at 130 in the morning and he's usually in bed asleep like most horses are. I couldn't have been prouder of him, so thanks I appreciate it. I didn't want to be a sore looser I was just dissapointed cause here it was my first Nationals and I thought WOW the person that takes this class is really going to be something and it was just a let down that's all.

BUT, I did have a great time. The weather could have been better we were on in end stall in the Ford 150 barn but my horses stayed dry and had plenty of feed, I lost a pound from ALL the walking. My granddaughters got to see their first miniature horse show ever. Their 14 and 16 and have big horses so it was a real treat for them. I got to see a lot of beautiful horses and meet some really nice people and I got to see some old friends so all and all it was good.

Just my one pet peeve and like I said if that's all there was that's pretty good.

And thanks for the complement, your also right if you work your horse as much as you do your horse that's what counts. OH ALSO, that's what I've done I've found a few of my things at the thrift store and MAN did I have to dig.... Oy Vey!!!!!! But, you have to do what you have to do. Here in town we have a couple of close out stores and I a couple of my blazers there, I was so thrilled, I jumped up and down when I found them.

Thanks again for your post, take care.... Taylor Jo

hi Taylor

Kudos to you for getting out there and working so hard!! I do think its amazing the difference in dress you see at Nationals. You will see everything from tuxedos to jeans. I know when I showed at Nationals a couple years ago I was a nervous wreck about what to wear for halter class. Then when I got there and realized it was kinda a mix of everything I wasnt so nervous.

hi Taylor
Kudos to you for getting out there and working so hard!! I do think its amazing the difference in dress you see at Nationals. You will see everything from tuxedos to jeans. I know when I showed at Nationals a couple years ago I was a nervous wreck about what to wear for halter class. Then when I got there and realized it was kinda a mix of everything I wasn't so nervous.

Thanks so much. I know what you mean, you do see a variety of wear there. That was my first time being there and really was expecting something totally different. I think next time though my expectations will be a lot different as I know what to expect. PLUS, I will stick to the amateur classes that's for sure.

The ONLY reason why I showed in open was that's the only schedule I could figure out to fit my mare and my gelding in for the day's we were going to be there, so next time I'm going to try and do better figuring. But, the Western Pleasure class and my other classes I couldn't find the amateur one to go w/ my other ones so I chose what I chose. NEXT year though, maybe it will be better. Thanks again for your post, Taylor Jo

I feel in the spirit of the rule that the drivers should dress "Western" I drove WCP as a man with a western blazer and hat. One class I had gloves and I was bare handed in the next. I really liked the men that had western vest, nice blue denim jeans and a western shirt with a hat. That is the look I will be going for next year.

Even if you have the best horse you could really try to dress to match the class. It was sort of funny to see some of the trainers in the western garb.

I managed to get home in time to watch some of the "live feed" of the stakes classes. That "live feed' is great. We were in barn exile so we couldn't pick up the Expo Square wireless.

I feel in the spirit of the rule that the drivers should dress "Western" I drove WCP as a man with a western blazer and hat. One class I had gloves and I was bare handed in the next. I really liked the men that had western vest, nice blue denim jeans and a western shirt with a hat. That is the look I will be going for next year.Even if you have the best horse you could really try to dress to match the class. It was sort of funny to see some of the trainers in the western garb.

I managed to get home in time to watch some of the "live feed" of the stakes classes. That "live feed' is great. We were in barn exile so we couldn't pick up the Expo Square wireless.

THAT was my WHOLE point, and I was SHOCKED. Here this person is who I deemed to be a top driver wasn't dressed like I thought would be and it just sorta took me back. I'm a new driver and new to the Nationals so I was expect someone to win that was REALLY decked out to the nines and when someone that wasn't I was just taken aback. I just felt that if MOST of us went to all the effort and EXPENSE that someone w/ obviously the MONEY to be able to do so should do so. But, that was just my opinion. It was MORE the spirit of the thing I guess. Sure your not judged on it maybe but isn't that what it's about it WAS a WESTERN class,,,,,

A lot of people myself included like of limited incomes so I have to be careful so I REALLY went out on the limb for that class, sure that was my fault but I wanted to present myself the best possible way I could. WE worked hard for what it was and for someone who didn't EVEN dress for the class to come in and win it ticked me off. I'm sorry but it did. It hurt my feelings. I thought gee this is the "Nationals" BUT, if you go by the RULES it was ok so who am I to complain, the judges STRICTLY based it upon ability I guess. Kudos to the person who one, they're a good driver though. Anyway,,,,, I do know next year NOT to have such high expectations of people. I mean they're human after all and it's only clothes, I worried so much about having everything perfect, the horse, the driving, the clothes..... MERCY!!!!!!

TJ

But aren't the classes after 6pm the Formal Attire classes? If so, western dress wouldn't really fit into that. For male handler/driver yes, but I have yet to see a formal style dress that was western, without it being labled a "western wedding" dress. I personally have a horse that goes in the WCP class, when I showed her, it was in the afternoon not after 6, I wore a nice lavender blouse, my lap robe, with a fancy purple hat, with brown pants under the lap robe. Cart and harness were brown. We looked good I felt. We won our class. I don't really know what I'd wear for an after 6pm class, I would have to put some serious thought into it.

Karen

But aren't the classes after 6pm the Formal Attire classes? If so, western dress wouldn't really fit into that. For male handler/driver yes, but I have yet to see a formal style dress that was western, without it being labled a "western wedding" dress. I personally have a horse that goes in the WCP class, when I showed her, it was in the afternoon not after 6, I wore a nice lavender blouse, my lap robe, with a fancy purple hat, with brown pants under the lap robe. Cart and harness were brown. We looked good I felt. We won our class. I don't really know what I'd wear for an after 6pm class, I would have to put some serious thought into it.

Karen
WOW Karen you bring up a good point, I don't know. I'm "new" at driving so I really don't know. I think I saw a couple of women in skirts and I saw some real cute hats I think. Gee, it was so late it's like a blur now..... I bet you looked really good in the purple, really stood out nice too. I wore what's in my picture w/ a black cowboy hat and black gloves.

TJ

I've spent the afternoon going through Western Pleasure class photos on the Washburn site and honestly didn't see anyone who was not dressed appropriately IMO. Some did use more carriage-style dress like lap robes and ladies hats with flowers but to me that's fine, their horses were moving in a wonderfully forward carriage driving/ADS fashion as well which is really what the creator of this class was looking for according to their posts here on LB a year ago. Can you tell me the class number of the one that you were most concerned about? I'm just sort of curious.

I found your little guy and he looked great, by the way!

Leia

I've spent the afternoon going through Western Pleasure class photos on the Washburn site and honestly didn't see anyone who was not dressed appropriately IMO. Some did use more carriage-style dress like lap robes and ladies hats with flowers but to me that's fine, their horses were moving in a wonderfully forward carriage driving/ADS fashion as well which is really what the creator of this class was looking for according to their posts here on LB a year ago. Can you tell me the class number of the one that you were most concerned about? I'm just sort of curious.
I found your little guy and he looked great, by the way!

Leia
It was class 252. No one was inappropriate. JUST plain. Like I said in the beginning I expected the person who took first to be dressed western, BUT, that's NOT what the rules say for the ladies, so I'm wrong. She was in a blouse and pants. Gee, for all I know she had jeans on and that's western. I would have at least plopped a cowboy hat on my head, but that's me. I can't speak for her so I don't know. I just expected different that's all. Ya know you work hard you spend money, you WORRY your doing the right thing, your competing,,,,, That's all I was just disappointed, my expectations set to high I guess. Oh well, she drove real well, I guess that's what counts. TJ

Latest posts

Back